Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2015, 03:44 PM   #1

Box(es) for 2 T105s

I am going to be doing some boondocking this year and want to upgrade the number of Amp hours I have available. I am adding 2 Trojan t105s and need them to fit on the tongue in a box or two. What are my options?
Old 04-29-2015, 04:04 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Stack them?

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded, 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "2 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 05:47 PM   #3

you are still mad about the family picture aren't you?
Old 04-29-2015, 06:12 PM   #4

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
If you want them in one pre made "battery" box, they're out there, but they are not cheap. I just bought the NoCo one. Now that I have installed it, I think the Century Plastics one would have been better for my needs. Many people use small metal tool boxes. You can just get 2 individual GC2 boxes too.

Century Plastics: White Heavy Duty Battery Box - (part#: GCE-G)

Century Plastics: White Heavy Duty Battery Box - (part#: GC-G)

Amazon.com: NOCO HM426 Dual 6-Volt Commercial Grade Battery Box for Automotive, Marine and RV Batteries: Automotive

120175-001 QuickCable Black Polypropylene Dual 6 Volt/GC2 Battery Box
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 07:06 PM   #5

Hi was looking at the century plastics white heavy duty battery box for 2- 6 volt golf cart battery's. (part#: GCE-G) at under $50 plus shipping is not a bad deal.

Tim
TimVWulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 08:18 PM   #6

Is it possible to fit 2 individual boxes? I can't measure bathe tray since the camper is at the dealer for some small cosmetic issues before the 1 year warranty is up
Mountndream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 08:24 PM   #7

After Tim's response, I suppose I should add...when I said they weren't cheap, I was meaning in comparison to single battery boxes. Your right that 40-50 plus shipping really isn't that bad...as long as it's a quality product.

I also should add...the NoCo I bought is a very nice box...especially the nice lid screws (which the Century Plastics doesn't have). The issue for me was simply that the sides taper out as they go down towards the bottom which makes the base about a half inch too long to fit in the orientation I wanted it to. I'm using it, but I had to turn it 90 degrees so it now takes up more of my front storage compartment space (5th wheel).
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
Old 05-11-2015, 09:25 AM   #8

thanks for all the help. I ordered and received the Century plastic box and picked up my t105s this morning. They were 131 each and they gave me a free strap.

Now Any tips you have on maintaining them would be apperciated. I am wondering if I should add an external Battery cutoff switch to avoid over charging when plugged in. Since I have a battery disconnect in the trailer, do i need one? what are the pro's and cons?
Old 05-11-2015, 06:39 PM   #9

As long as your charger has the proper "float" voltage, your batteries are better off staying continually connected to it. Trojan calls for a float voltage of 13.2v. Every other battery manufacturer I have checked on called for a range of about 1/2 volt (e.g. 13.2v-13.8v) for float on similar batteries. I suggest you hook your batteries to your trailer, leave the charger on for a few days to be certain you reach float mode, and then test the voltage AT THE BATTERY. If it is 13.2 (13.2v to 13.6v would be fine IMHO), then your charger is perfect for long term storage. If your float voltage is outside of that range, then you may be better off disconnecting your batteries for storage.

The other normal maintenance is checking your water level. How often you need water will depend on how you use your batteries. Batteries will lose water when boiling. Boiling will normally occur when recharging a deeply discharged battery. The more often you discharge your batteries deeply, the more often you should check the water level.

I've read that if you live in a very cold climate, you should remove batteries for the winter. I'm not too sure about the details, as my climate is moderate.