Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2011, 10:36 PM   #1

Capacities

Question? How many days could you camp with grey and black water holding tanks at 23 gallons each?
4st-rvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:50 PM   #2

Almost a week on the black. Day and a half on the grey.... To extend grey, we typically wash and rinse dishes into a dishpan, then dump the dishpan into the toilet.

2022 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB
2022 Ford Ranger toad
Fire Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 11:23 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4st-rvr View Post
Question? How many days could you camp with grey and black water holding tanks at 23 gallons each?
that's tough to answer, since it's really varies from camper to camper.
too many variables, like how many are using the RV, how much do you use the CG's bathrooms, how good are you at conserving water usage, do you plan to use the shower, do you wash dishes in the RV's sink and so on.

for the two of us, we can go for weeks on the 25 gallon black tank and about 5 days on the 25 gallon gray tank.
but we are former popup owners and know how to conserve water usage.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 11:43 PM   #4

I agree that it depends on how conservative you are or want to be. We probably could make it for 2 or 3 days with the black and 2 with the grey. We use our camper to the max of its capabilities and enjoy the amenities. That's just us. I have not used the cg baths since we got our pup with a shower/potty.
2011 Shamrock 23ss
2010 Ford F150 super cab 4 X 4
ilovecamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 05:13 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Instructor
Almost a week on the black. Day and a half on the grey.... To extend grey, we typically wash and rinse dishes into a dishpan, then dump the dishpan into the toilet.
I thought I was the only one to do that !!!! I think the dawn dish soap is good for the black tank also...

2015-26days, 2014-32days,
2013-33days, 2012-30days
brownie289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 01:36 PM   #6

Like others have said, there are many variables, such as number of persons and how conservative you are. We have a 30 gallon black tank and with a family of four (2 adults and 2 children) it is currently our limiting factor for our length of stay. We can make it last at least 7 days. Have made it last 9.

Glenn & Beth (Dad & Mom)
David & Audra (16 year old twins)
2006 Dodge Power Wagon (Adventure & Tow Vehicle)
2006 Rockwood 8281SS (Home away from Home)
Glenn5995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:01 AM   #7

Thanks all for the feedback. Very helpful
4st-rvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:28 AM   #8

The majority of the waste water I produce goes into the grey tank. It is surprizing how fast the grey tank fills up. I have seen camper who have a hose attached to the dump opening to run grey water into the surrounding high grass and trees. I assume this is ok since I have found covers at Walmart and other places that have a garden hose attachment built right into the cover. This most certainly would take the worry out of overflowing the tank.
kjoh75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:34 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjoh75 View Post
The majority of the waste water I produce goes into the grey tank. It is surprizing how fast the grey tank fills up.
One thing I have done to extend the use of our grey tanks and my fresh water is to have a pitcher available for whenever warm water is needed, whether for the shower, bath sink or kitchen sink. We run the water into the pitcher until it becomes warm for use. I then pour the initial water from the pitcher back into the fresh water tank. It is amazing how much this extended both my fresh water and grey tank capacity. A lot of fresh water was being used to fill our grey tanks just waiting for the water to get warm.

Glenn & Beth (Dad & Mom)
Old 06-29-2011, 11:37 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn5995 View Post
One thing I have done to extend the use of our grey tanks and my fresh water is to have a pitcher available for whenever warm water is needed, whether for the shower, bath sink or kitchen sink. We run the water into the pitcher until it becomes warm for use. I then pour the initial water from the pitcher back into the fresh water tank. It is amazing how much this extended both my fresh water and grey tank capacity. A lot of fresh water was being used to fill our grey tanks just waiting for the water to get warm.
I sometimes do sorta the same think when dry camping, except I use the catch water to flush the toilet. Same results.....that water is not going down the grey water drains, and the water is being used in place of the water from the fresh water tank to flush the toilet.

Personally, I would not want to drink the water from the hot water tank....that is what happens if you put it in the fresh water tank.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 12:52 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:

LOL- when I first started reading your reply I got the impression that you were filling the pitcher to use to shower with. Then it dawn on me that you were catching the runniing water while it was below temp and saving it.

That's a good idea for several reasons.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 02:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
...Personally, I would not want to drink the water from the hot water tank....that is what happens if you put it in the fresh water tank.
We don't drink water from the fresh water tank. We bring bottled water for drinking and just use the fresh water tank for washing dishes, hygiene and flushing the toilet. Besides relieving any water quality concerns, it extends our water capacity.

Glenn & Beth (Dad & Mom)
Old 06-29-2011, 02:15 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
We don't drink water from the fresh water tank. We bring bottled water for drinking and just use the fresh water tank for washing dishes, hygiene and flushing the toilet. Besides relieving any water quality concerns, it extends our water capacity.
Ah, that explains it.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 04:17 PM   #14

Many campgrounds frown on you running a hose and dumping your gray water on the ground. This past weekend the wife dumped all her dishwater into the black tank and it was amazing how much this saved as our gray tank is normally almost full after just a few days. We have never filled the black tank but we usually are limited to 3 or 4 days camping.

2011 F250 Lariat Crew Cab 6.7L Diesel
2011 Flagstaff Classic Superlite 831 FKBSS
Fleet of Canoes and one Kayak
So Many Rivers so Little Time!
buckisland1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:37 AM   #15
camping

we fill up our tank before we leave (I use soft water) I also fill 1 gallon water jugs from the house for drinking and coffee (not soft water!) and we take bottled water to drink when hiking etc. we have 40 gallons of fresh and can do dishes and take about 6-7 showers before I need to add more water. I will spend about an hour dumping the grey with my blue tote and adding to the fresh water from my extra water tank. its a 36 gallon tank, I have a 12v plug off the battery, hook it up and pump the water into the trailers fresh water tank. we can go a +/- a week on the black tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	6604   Click image for larger version

Name:	005.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	6605  

2007 Chevy 2500HD CC
2010 V-Lite 30WRLTS
Nights Camped 2011 -64
Nights Camped 2012 -50
"I Live in My Own World, But It's OK. They Know Me"
tentcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 03:38 PM   #16

Our TT has a 52 gallon fresh water tank, and 42 gallon Black and Grey and I was so paranoid on our 2 night stay that I told my wife to take a fast shower. I feel bad now as some of you have smaller tanks and go for days and days LOL. Maybe I can relax a bit more.

Ruben Zamora
2007 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 Dmax/Allison, 4" Exhaust-no cat-no muffler
2012 Palomino Puma 23FB
RubenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 04:59 PM   #17
MrT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovecamping View Post
I agree that it depends on how conservative you are or want to be. We probably could make it for 2 or 3 days with the black and 2 with the grey. We use our camper to the max of its capabilities and enjoy the amenities. That's just us. I have not used the cg baths since we got our pup with a shower/potty.
Amen to that. We tend to seek full-service campgrounds 'cuz that's our gig. We use the facilities to the fullest, and deal with the necessity of dumping the tanks.

2017 Cedar Creek 38CK Hathaway Edition
2015 Ford F-350 6.7 CC 4x4
B&W RVK3300
Full-timing since 5/2/2016. Roam Sweet Home.
FROG Int'l Rallies: 2012-2017
MrT is offline   Reply With Quote