Old 12-02-2014, 12:43 PM   #11
Going off your username....did you get any pictures of the explosion or fire or aftermath of the explosion?

2013 Berkshire 390BH
Campin Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 12:47 PM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
A working gas detector would help. In order for that much gas to build up and explode like you describe, I would assume the detector was inoperable. In my opinion, you are more at risk of causing harm to yourself or property from the generator and gasoline. Make sure all your batteries are well ventilated also, they can explode from gas build up.

2016 Georgetown 364TS
Nights Camped
2014 - 56
2015 - 41
2016 - 64
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 01:07 PM   #13
Batteries explode as well,there is no getting around proper maintenance of all our systems.Good luck and happy camping.
2014 XLR 24HFS With Arctic Package
2005 GMC 2500 Duramax
mountainman611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 01:55 PM   #14
SBBev,your thinking that (ONLY 10) DBs diff from the HONDA is a (BIG) noise Diff! If you use the Champs you (WILL NOT) have to worry about People staying around Your RV! Youroo!!
youroo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 03:04 PM   #15
A 10db increase in volume will sound 2x as loud. Perceived sound is not proportional to the decibel reading.
dustman_stx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 03:54 PM   #16
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
We haven't boondocked, but we dry camp 95% of the time.
so propane is a must for us.

if your neighbors house caught fire due to a gas explosion, would you refuse to use gas in your home?

Propane is used as a closed system. You don't pour it into containers - it's piped - and propane is usually not vented. Propane is tagged with a smell chemical so that a leak is detectable with your nose. Disadvantage to propane is that is used and stored under pressure. Disadvantage of a closed system is that it can easily be neglected.

Gasoline is poured from one container to another with some evaporation into the air. Spills during the pouring operation are cured by evaporation. Tanks are usually vented to allow gravity or suction flow - another source of atmospheric gasoline. Which is why gasoline should never be used inside living areas.

I assume you also have done away with all natural gas appliances (gas furnace, gas hot water heater, gas dryer, gas range, gas fireplace) inside your home. Same risk.

Frankly, I don't see gain from the gas alternative. But then I store my A-frame in the garage with the propane tanks installed (turned off at the tank valve). To me, the gas lawn tractor, snow blower, gas can, and even cars (also stored in garage) are a higher risk for garage explosions and fire.

But these are my thoughts and experiences, your choices
Fred W
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 03:57 PM   #17
I think you're letting your nerves get the best of you. I guess after the next traffic accident you see, you'll have to stop RV'ing, because, the next one could be you. Airplanes crash, too, but they're safer than cars, yet people are afraid to fly.

People have had water heaters rocket out of their houses (watch the Mythbusters' show on this one), and yet we've all still got them in our basements, potentially ticking time bombs.

Civilization didn't get where it is today because people sat on their hands, afraid to do anything.

You have to have a clear understanding of the REAL (not perceived) risk. Don't let misplaced fear stop you.
1988 Coleman Sequoia - popup (1987-2007)
2012 Roo19 - hybid (2012-2015)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 04:03 PM   #18
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Refrigerator explosions do happen, but they're extremely rare. I hear a hundred-fold times more car accidents than I do about camper/propane explosions. Yet, we all still drive.
I used to think like your quote. It's rare - no big deal - probably won't happen to me. What I witnessed wasn't a refrigerator issue but a heater issue. Not sure if it was blue flame or catalytic or what. It's thought to have been a quick connect malfunction and a warning system malfunction as well. The alarm should have gone off with the 5th wheel filling with propane - but it didn't. If I was mechanically and technically inclined and knew about how all these things work and could check all this stuff myself, I may not be so concerned. But the more I research, the more concerned I become. Cracked hoses, leaks, bad tanks, etc. Just too many things that can go wrong. I have options - so I choose the options.
ShutterBugBev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 04:06 PM   #19

Originally Posted by Campin Cajun View Post
Going off your username....did you get any pictures of the explosion or fire or aftermath of the explosion?
Yes I did. I did it for the woman's insurance company and also because it was just too fascinating not to photograph. I'll try to figure out how to upload them here.
ShutterBugBev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 04:13 PM   #20
It's a free country, (well sorta : -) if that what it takes to get in your comfort zone, so be it. Your right on admitting your mechanical skills are lacking, which adds to your fears, and rightly so. Better to feel safe, for if you don't have that, it's not fun.

Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote