Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2014, 05:13 PM   #21
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutterBugBev View Post
Yes I did. I did it for the woman's insurance company and also because it was just too fascinating not to photograph. I'll try to figure out how to upload them here.
One way to add photos:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...html#post49621

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 05:21 PM   #22

Fred - actually, in my home before I started RVing I didn't have any natural gas. I heated it with wood stoves and fireplaces, and it was an all-electric home. I used charcoal and seasoned wood to grill - not Propane.
ShutterBugBev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 05:44 PM   #23

Oh - DUMB ME. I should have assumed I'd be viewed as a flighty woman without posting any background. So here it is - I'm a 100% disabled Marine Veteran with PTSD. Explosions are a trigger point with me, so yeah, my anxiety is probably getting the best of me. I love RV'ing but not at the cost of dealing with propane. I know it's safe in the best of circumstances, I know monitors, alarms, etc. will help prevent it, but when you see something this horrible and you have PTSD it's not that easy to just wipe it away and keep on trucking as if nothing happened. Next year it probably won't matter, but right now it does and for me to keep going on the road, I have to make some changes in the way I travel. Period. I'm 58 years old and I've had my share of accidents, photographed hundreds in my job in the Marines, and I still drive. That is something I have to do. I DON'T have to use propane, leave lit candles burning in my rig, or light cigarettes in gas stations while I'm gassing up! I don't stand outside in a thunderstorm, I avoid metal poles when it's lightening, I avoid the tornado belt in the spring, and I don't ride green broke horses. Call me cautious!
Old 12-02-2014, 05:49 PM   #24

Photographs

Testing . . .
Old 12-02-2014, 05:55 PM   #25
Mod free 5er

If you think propane is dangerous, just think of having gasoline in both generators plus a spare can of gas and someone flips a cigarette in the bed going down the highway. I'll stick with the propane.
Old 12-02-2014, 05:59 PM   #26

Photographs

Testing to see if I can upload a photo
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	phpY7MoikPM.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	67022  
Old 12-02-2014, 06:00 PM   #27

I for one... admire your knowledge of your subject. Heck, ask about gas or diesel! Goodness knows don't mention tires... it's on!

PS: Thank you for your service
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 07:15 PM   #28

Done with propane

Two things...

1. Those Champion generators are kinda loud. We had one at our hunting camp for a couple years and it was louder than we thought it'd be.

2. I purchased one of these guys at HD... I check all my fittings at least once a month during the camping season. Sniffs out even the slightest leak.

http://t.homedepot.com/p/BrassCraft-...-X6/202800802/

2015 Coachmen Apex 288BHS
2014 Toyota Tundra 5.7L CrewMax

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 12-02-2014, 07:48 PM   #29
DDC

A gassing battery explosion is quite an event also, hope you never get to witness one though.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 07:51 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutterBugBev View Post
The whole purpose of boon docking for me is to be ALONE and away from people. Other than the occasional stop in a Walmart parking lot for the night, I plan to boondock away from people. I have no issue with plugging in somewhere sometimes, but when I'm out west - or on the coast - I want to boondock as far away from folks as possible. The rating on the Champion generator is 68 decibels. The Honda that is lauded for being so quiet is 58. I was hoping it wasn't that loud but if it is, I'll live with it as I won't be using it that much. I don't watch a lot of television - just use my computer at night. Hoping the new solar panels will give me enough battery power to do that at night.

Thanks!
Just so you are clear before you make your purchase decision....68 decibels is TWICE as loud as 58... not just a bit more. It is logatithmic....3 db is an audible difference in loudness...10db is double...20 is quadruple etc.
Your choice...but wanted you to have the facts. Good luck!

EDIT...oops...I see others have made the same point. Nevermind!
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 08:58 AM   #31

Why not add a second propane detector for redundancy and test them at whatever interval makes you feel comfortable? You should be able to get a small propane bottle that has a torch fitting on it and just shoot a little propane toward the detector to know if it is working. Not sure how sensitive they are- but you might even be able to run this test with a standard cigarette lighter. Also, I'd like to add that if you do go the generator route Champion does make inverter generators that are very quiet- similar to the Honda and Yamaha models. They are about half the price, though, IIRC.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 05:10 PM   #32

I bought an on-demand tankless hot water heater and installed it on the rear of my TT. It has more hot water than my propane powered one did. A friend of mind is a plumber, and he took the water heater out of the system, so if the day ever comes when I want to sell or trade I can hook it back up. I, so I need the generator to run it. Not a big deal to me.
I plan to go solar this year and will replace the fridge as well for one that is AC powered. My reasons for changing aren't the same as yours, but it can be done.

Sirwriter
Moved from a 2,000 SF home into a 2014 Puma, about 260 SF. On two acres. We brought in power, water, and installed septic system. We've been here a year now, my wife, myself, and an 80lb female Weim named Daisy. We can barely see our nearest neighbor, one of two.
Sirwriter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane