Old 10-07-2013, 10:55 AM   #11
Pretty much like everyone has posted, we don't change. After spending most of last year dry camping at various free camping areas across the western part of the country, we have our boon docking routine down. When on shore power we utilize the available electricity utilizing electric cookers. When dry camping we rely on propane, and charcoal. We tend to eat better when dry camping because the fast food places and restaurants are usually not readily available. Pastas, chicken, and veggies make up most of our afternoon meals. Breakfast is what ever it is we decide to snack on, and might even be left overs from the night before. If we don't want to cook, tuna salad, or lunch meat sub sandwiches with all the trimmings works out quite well. Add in the really cold/hot beverages of your choice, and you are good to go. One other thing we do is utilize paper plates, plastic forks, and knives to conserve on water, and propane to heat water for dish washing. If we do cook over an open camp fire, if possible, our first choice is older pine cones that have fallen from the trees. They give off a good, even, long lasting heat.

"Full Timer" with "Boon Docking" in the desert southwest being my drug of choice. Well, that and really cold beer.
Patches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:55 PM   #12
Whether we have hook ups or are dry camping, I mostly use either:

A one burner white gas coleman burner
A two burner propane coleman cook top
A Weber Q grill

We have a stove and oven in the trailer but seldom use it mainly because I enjoy cooking outside. Don't do dutch ovens or cooking over the campfire.

2016 Ford F150 Platinum
2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 233RBS
Prior: Jayco Pop Up, Shasta Bunkhouse, Rockwood 2560G Pop Up
bradnailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 01:31 PM   #13
I personally suggest salmon cakes.

Use the foil pack boneless skinless salmon, spicy mayo and Zatarain's mix.

Have fun at Renfest, the camping should be a hoot. We will be going for the day in mid November.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:31 PM   #14
$20 per carload for the entire weekend for a campground is a steal, too.
2012 Chevy Tahoe LTZ - HD tow package
2017 Rockwood 2703WS Emerald Edition
raspivey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:28 PM   #15
I tend to cook foods over the fire and also lots of foil hobo packs... When boondocking/dry camping we try to minimize the use of pots and pans and other related equipment just because it's one less thing for us to deal with (washing dishes, dealing with soapy dishwater, etc) others may not change their habits but we usually try to simplify as much as possible.
2011 A-122
rawlus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 01:56 AM   #16
Here's an example of what you can find searching for RV cooking.
Miss Terry’s Kitchen Gypsy Journal RV Travel Newspaper
We boondock a lot in AZ and our friends like to make peach cobbler or ox tail soup in a dutch oven with coals from the fire. My buddy buries Cornish hen in coals, wrapped in aluminum foil to bake. I do marshmallows.
We are so used to boondocking that hookups are a convenience but never an issue.
Propane is the most efficient cooling for your RV fridge. Fast cooling and reliable.
Grilling is really fun if you have an efficient propane camping grill, and a folding table to put it on. We do steaks and ribs, fish, vegetables, fruits. and it sure tastes good.
Because we use a lot of water for cooking and showering while boondocking, I carry a 30 or 50 gallon water drum (empty) in the back of the truck. After unhooking, water is usually available within a few miles and only 10 cents a gallon if you have to buy it. From the truck you can gravity feed the water to your trailer FW tank, or gravity feed for cleanup. I bought an extra 12v RV water pump, hooked up in and out vinyl hoses. I made an RV plug using only the hot and ground wire. I plug it into my RV truck receptacle. I wired a small switch in the line and I pump my 30 or 50 gallons off the back of my truck to wherever I want it to go.
John S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 05:31 AM   #17
Eat Better Dry Camping

Originally Posted by Patches View Post
When dry camping we rely on propane, and charcoal. We tend to eat better when dry camping because the fast food places and restaurants are usually not readily available.
I agree with Patches and have a little to add along that line.

I have found that our cost for food is lower when we pay less for our camping site. We sometimes eat out when we are at RV parks, but we prefer state parks and national/state forest campgrounds, which are often too far from from town for eating out.
RamblerGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:44 PM   #18
Elk steaks over a wood fire
High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:28 PM   #19
Better then at home .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1655140440.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	41257  
Stealth13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:13 PM   #20
Stealth, You are welcome in my camp any time, just bring more of those Mastodon steaks

High Country is offline   Reply With Quote