Old 07-18-2016, 12:17 PM   #31
Moderators' Assistant

Dumping gray water in public places is getting banned more and more.

'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 01:14 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Dumping gray water in public places is getting banned more and more.

Is this your opinion or do you have some facts ? haven't seen any changes out west other then the forest service shutting down access to public lands.

Old 07-18-2016, 09:37 PM   #33
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar1960 View Post
Is this your opinion or do you have some facts ? haven't seen any changes out west other then the forest service shutting down access to public lands.
I know California and Oregon State Parks require gray holding tanks be emptied at dump stations and not on the ground.
Not sure about Washington State Parks.
'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 10:40 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
I know California and Oregon State Parks require gray holding tanks be emptied at dump stations and not on the ground.
Not sure about Washington State Parks.
Most state parks do have those requirements . as do many area national forest. but there are millions of acres of national forest, blm , state lands that don't require the storage of grey water . i say follow the rules where ever you are . many are against any disposal of grey water & many are not . i see no issues with it .
Old 08-31-2016, 09:25 AM   #35

Can't dump relatively clean grey water on camping grounds on public lands but its ok for tent campers to poop in the woods?

You know what frustrates me about public lands, is all of the damn used toilet paper I find while hiking that are from backcountry campers that don't bury their waste. The environmentallyills need to focus on those folks and not people who empty their grey water tanks.

Do I dump my grey water? Yep. No food particles in mine since we don't do dishes and use paper plates. We usually use our grey water to clean the dirt/dust off of our ATVs. The residual soap/shampoo from bathing helps a bit.

Safe space trigger warning:

Here is a great tip on how to stealth grey water dump! http://www.liveworkdream.com/2011/06...u-or-dont-you/
Old 08-31-2016, 09:45 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
Can't dump relatively clean grey water on camping grounds on public lands but its ok for tent campers to poop in the woods?

You know what frustrates me about public lands, is all of the damn used toilet paper I find while hiking that are from backcountry campers that don't bury their waste. The environmentallyills need to focus on those folks and not people who empty their grey water tanks.

Do I dump my grey water? Yep. No food particles in mine since we don't do dishes and use paper plates. We usually use our grey water to clean the dirt/dust off of our ATVs. The residual soap/shampoo from bathing helps a bit.
Your premise is incorrect. It is not "OK" for tent campers to poop in the woods, in any established campground. That's what outhouses and "wilderness thrones" are for. Campers (or hikers) who need to use the woods in remote areas need to dig a hole and bury their waste several inches underground. We agree on that!

Gray water contains not only soap but food particles and oils. This and even the smell of it can attract bears, raccoons, other varmints, as well as flies, bees and other insects. That's why pretty much all established campgrounds prohibit dumping it on the grounds. Boondock camping rules vary by location but often permit it in remote locations.

"environmentallyills" - calling people names is conduct unbecoming.

Tags
camping, dry camping, first time