Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2016, 09:07 PM   #21

If the fridge in your unit has a door seal heater to prevent condensation around the door seal, you may want to disconnect it. These usually draw around 1A/hour and are a large CONSTANT drain on your battery. On my Georgetown's Dometic fridge, there's a wire on the fridge control panel labelled "light/heater" which I disconnect when boondocking.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 08:53 PM   #22

Fantastic Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Fantastic Fan is a branded overhead fan fitting in the roof of the RV and EXHAUSTS air fairly powerfully to create a breeze from open windows and to exhaust cooking smoke. They can either operate at a few speeds manually or automatically turn on when a pre-set temperture is reached. Ours turns on and off also when you raise/lower the vent cover to the fan & was an OEM option when we bought...also available at RV stores. It runs on 12Volt.
I'm about to do my first dry camping trip in a State Park in VT - I plan on bringing my dog and I'm really concerned (worried) with leaving him in the camper during the day with out the a/c on because generator hours are 2 in the am and 2 in the pm...is this Fantastic Fan a good option for cooling the place down? I have a FR3 and all very new to this life. I'm actually thinking of not going on this trip because of this particular issue..any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance..
citygirlcountryheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 09:20 PM   #23

Because we like to engage in activities that are not always dog friendly and go explore the local area when camping our dogs typically stay home with a dog sitter. We don't want to leave them couped up in the motorhome during the day while we are out, and most campgrounds frown on that practice anyway.

SternHappens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 10:00 PM   #24

The Fantasic Fan we most talk about it the one installed in the overhead professionally and it does a good job keeping the air moving in the coach but not cooling one down like a floor fan would. FF also makes a freestanding 12
V floor model that may be just what you are looking for.
Power draw:
low: 15 Watts or 1.25 amps @ 12 VDC
medium: 27 Watts or 2.25 amps
high: 35 Watts or close to 3 amps PER HOUR that is 3 amp hours. So 8 hours would eat 24 amp hours... so you need to be sure you have ENOUGH battery capacity to support this within the 4 hours you are allotted daily to charge everything.
Here's a link: https://www.amazon.com/Fan-Tastic-01..._d_product_top
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 02:21 AM   #25

The Fantastic fan will help circulate the air for the dogs, I leave mine on for my dogs. It just depends on how warm it is outside and if there is some wind blowing also, use your good judgement. I would never leave the dogs inside if it's really hot and there's no breeze without turning on my generator for the A/C. I also open my vents and windows. I cover the windshield and side windows with the reflective metallic covers and sometimes add my foam core boards to windows to keep out the heat also when camping in the heat or cold.I also use a heavy blanket sometimes which I hang between the cab and coach. Most of the hot or cold air comes from the cab area.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 07:37 AM   #26

Thank you...all this information is helpful. I'll look into the stand alone fan.

Thanks again, I learn so much from this forum.
citygirlcountryheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 08:46 AM   #27

Consider a Dog Run

Have you considered a dog run? You stretch a thin cable between the trailer and a tree with a leash attached to a pulley that runs on the cable. The dog can get under the trailer for shade, or lay in the sun. Ask a camp neighbor with dogs to keep an eye on your dog for you.

I'd worry about leaving a dog inside. The fan could quit for numerous reasons, and dogs are very susceptible to heat stroke. My dog would try to chew her way out of the trailer. Don't ask how I know.
Old 07-17-2016, 05:12 PM   #28

Please disregard the advice about dumping gray water outside. It's strictly prohibited at virtually all locations as well as rather gross. One exception, the US National Forest dispersed camping rules do allow dumping gray water along a roadway or somewhere away from any lake or river. Those are remote areas, and I still wouldn't do it if possible. You can dispose of any gray water that doesn't go right down the drain (such as dishwater in a wash bowl) down the toilet into the black tank. That will save room in the gray tank and help balance your holding tank loads. It will also help liquify the contents and make dumping the black tank go much better. With a couple of people, you probably won't fill the black tank in 4-5 days; the gray tank will get full first. So balancing the loads will make your tanks hold longer. Worst case, you go to the dump station and empty them, then go back to your campsite.

You can use auxiliary 5-gal. expandable containers to supplement your fresh water supply as mentioned above. But again, if you do run out of water, you can pull up to a water spigot and refill the tank. One refill should get you through 5 days if you are prudent in your water use.
Old 07-18-2016, 06:28 AM   #29

Dumping Gray Water

You'll hear lots of opinions, but in most places dumping gray water isn't an issue. In bear country, dumping it near your trailer, could be a problem if there is still food in it. In rural areas, sewage is dumped into a septic tank to remove solids, and the liquid is run into a shallow leach field a foot or so underground. Detergents contain phosphates, which are a fertilizer. You don't want to dump near water sources, and in MN, that could be everywhere. Here in NM, the plants will suck up every drop of water they can. I pump mine through a Shurflo pump (with screened filter), into a truck tank, and then dump it in a remote location.

Black water is a different issue because it potentially contains pathogens harmful to animals and humans. Fortunately, the black tank lasts a long time. My sister in law can fill up my gray tank with one shower.
Old 07-18-2016, 12:12 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnoland30 View Post
You'll hear lots of opinions, but in most places dumping gray water isn't an issue. In bear country, dumping it near your trailer, could be a problem if there is still food in it. In rural areas, sewage is dumped into a septic tank to remove solids, and the liquid is run into a shallow leach field a foot or so underground. Detergents contain phosphates, which are a fertilizer. You don't want to dump near water sources, and in MN, that could be everywhere. Here in NM, the plants will suck up every drop of water they can. I pump mine through a Shurflo pump (with screened filter), into a truck tank, and then dump it in a remote location.

Black water is a different issue because it potentially contains pathogens harmful to animals and humans. Fortunately, the black tank lasts a long time. My sister in law can fill up my gray tank with one shower.
gery water dumping as been beat to death . some think no way never . i think if the rules where you are staying forbid it then don't . if the rules say it's ok . then it's ok .
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 12:17 PM   #31
Site Team

Dumping gray water in public places is getting banned more and more.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 01:14 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Dumping gray water in public places is getting banned more and more.

Is this your opinion or do you have some facts ? haven't seen any changes out west other then the forest service shutting down access to public lands.
Old 07-18-2016, 09:37 PM   #33
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar1960 View Post
Is this your opinion or do you have some facts ? haven't seen any changes out west other then the forest service shutting down access to public lands.
I know California and Oregon State Parks require gray holding tanks be emptied at dump stations and not on the ground.
Not sure about Washington State Parks.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 10:40 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
I know California and Oregon State Parks require gray holding tanks be emptied at dump stations and not on the ground.
Not sure about Washington State Parks.
Most state parks do have those requirements . as do many area national forest. but there are millions of acres of national forest, blm , state lands that don't require the storage of grey water . i say follow the rules where ever you are . many are against any disposal of grey water & many are not . i see no issues with it .
Old 08-31-2016, 09:25 AM   #35

Can't dump relatively clean grey water on camping grounds on public lands but its ok for tent campers to poop in the woods?

You know what frustrates me about public lands, is all of the damn used toilet paper I find while hiking that are from backcountry campers that don't bury their waste. The environmentallyills need to focus on those folks and not people who empty their grey water tanks.

Do I dump my grey water? Yep. No food particles in mine since we don't do dishes and use paper plates. We usually use our grey water to clean the dirt/dust off of our ATVs. The residual soap/shampoo from bathing helps a bit.

Safe space trigger warning:

Here is a great tip on how to stealth grey water dump! http://www.liveworkdream.com/2011/06...u-or-dont-you/
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 09:45 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
Can't dump relatively clean grey water on camping grounds on public lands but its ok for tent campers to poop in the woods?

You know what frustrates me about public lands, is all of the damn used toilet paper I find while hiking that are from backcountry campers that don't bury their waste. The environmentallyills need to focus on those folks and not people who empty their grey water tanks.

Do I dump my grey water? Yep. No food particles in mine since we don't do dishes and use paper plates. We usually use our grey water to clean the dirt/dust off of our ATVs. The residual soap/shampoo from bathing helps a bit.
Your premise is incorrect. It is not "OK" for tent campers to poop in the woods, in any established campground. That's what outhouses and "wilderness thrones" are for. Campers (or hikers) who need to use the woods in remote areas need to dig a hole and bury their waste several inches underground. We agree on that!

Gray water contains not only soap but food particles and oils. This and even the smell of it can attract bears, raccoons, other varmints, as well as flies, bees and other insects. That's why pretty much all established campgrounds prohibit dumping it on the grounds. Boondock camping rules vary by location but often permit it in remote locations.

"environmentallyills" - calling people names is conduct unbecoming.

Tags
camping, dry camping, first time