Old 07-06-2016, 10:53 AM   #1

first time dry camping

I recently bought the Sunseeker 2860 and am planning my first dry camping trip (a concert venue). We will be without electric plug in and water for 5 days.

I want to make sure I have a few things correct:
-in order to run the air conditioner and microwave I would need to use the generator correct?
-in order to plug anything into an outlet and expect it to work I need to run the generator correct?
-will the outside fridge run off the generator? if so, I don't think I want to use it because I would have to run the generator constantly correct?
-the interior/exterior lights, slides and outside tv all run off the battery correct?
-it would be best to run the inside fridge off propane for that many days correct?
-the propane should also be used for the water heater correct?
-I have to keep the main power switch on at all times in order for the fridge to run correct?
now some questions:
1. I plan to find a place to fill my fresh water tank closer to the venue, do most dump stations also have potable water?
2. Does my outside Advent fridge only run when I am plugged in to an electrical outlet?
3. silly question- has anyone every counted how many showers you can get out of the 44 gallon fresh water tank?
4. if I happen to have fresh water left over do I really need to wait to go to a dump station, can I just drain it on the ground? we plan to use the black tank as minimally as possible so I don't anticipate that getting full
5. when using the fantastic fan where does that get it's power?

I appreciate any advice you can give me for my first time. I am excited to learn the art of dry camping because I anticipate a lot more of it!

Old 07-06-2016, 11:04 AM   #2

1) Yes
2) Yes
3) Yes
4) Not the tv
5) yes
6) Sure
7) Yes
8) Ehhh, I'd use a different source
9) Yes
10) Depends on the person...
11) I drain as I drive
12) Battery.

Old 07-06-2016, 11:17 AM   #3

Thank you,
What different source would you recommend?
Old 07-06-2016, 11:31 AM   #4
WFD

The water by dump stations is normally marked as non potable....if it isn't marked assume it isnt...all in all not a good place to count on getting water...even if there was potable water there...I would be concerned what people may have done to the spigot or hose if one is there or even touching the spigot after dumping their tanks...just not sanitary.
Old 07-06-2016, 11:36 AM   #5

Your TV may also run off battery. Mine does in my new 2250SLE. Give yours a try.

As for showers, the size of your grey tank may be more important than the amount of fresh water available, since shower and sink water all runs there. My former motorhome had a 33 gal grey water tank. Two quick showers per day for 4 days plus sink use filled that up. You can do some math from there.
Old 07-06-2016, 12:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFD View Post
The water by dump stations is normally marked as non potable....if it isn't marked assume it isnt...all in all not a good place to count on getting water...even if there was potable water there...I would be concerned what people may have done to the spigot or hose if one is there or even touching the spigot after dumping their tanks...just not sanitary.
always a wise addition BLEACH.
we wipe down EVERY water connection - even when returning to our seasonal before rehooking up the water lines.
The new toy hauler - 2016 Ford F150 Supercrew XTR ECOBOOST.
MilCop4523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 12:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlfoss1 View Post
I recently bought the Sunseeker 2860 and am planning my first dry camping trip (a concert venue). We will be without electric plug in and water for 5 days.

1. I plan to find a place to fill my fresh water tank closer to the venue, do most dump stations also have potable water?
2. Does my outside Advent fridge only run when I am plugged in to an electrical outlet?
3. silly question- has anyone every counted how many showers you can get out of the 44 gallon fresh water tank?
4. if I happen to have fresh water left over do I really need to wait to go to a dump station, can I just drain it on the ground? we plan to use the black tank as minimally as possible so I don't anticipate that getting full
5. when using the fantastic fan where does that get it's power?

I appreciate any advice you can give me for my first time. I am excited to learn the art of dry camping because I anticipate a lot more of it!
1.yes, and, We have found that you can stop by most state parks that have campgrounds and use their dump station for the daily vehicle admittance fee. Here in Michigan ( and most likely in your home state too) if you have a annual vehicle state park pass, you can use the dump stations free of charge. Just ask.

2, have no idea, We have a MBS 2400WS

3. Learn to conserve, fill the bathroom sink half full with warm water, sponge bathe, and then jump in the shower to rinse off. Use this method especially when washing hair. You will also find that you can go through that 44 gallon tank of fresh water without filling your grey water tank so get a Coleman 5 gallon collapsible water jug. Since it is a concert venue, there will be potable water to be had somewhere on site. Use the jug to retrieve 10 gallons or so. Check and see, they may even have a Honey Dipper come around and empty holding tanks for a small fee. This is what we do when dry camping for extended periods of time.

4. I always carry some fresh water when we travel and make sure I have 1/3 tank when I start out. As far as the black water goes, I never empty until I have at least 2/3 tank full. You need that water pressure to push that poop.

5. Sorry don't know what a fantastic fan is. Please enlighten those of us who have never been in your vehicle.
Old 07-06-2016, 12:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShermanD View Post
1.yes, and, We have found that you can stop by most state parks that have campgrounds and use their dump station for the daily vehicle admittance fee. Here in Michigan ( and most likely in your home state too) if you have a annual vehicle state park pass, you can use the dump stations free of charge. Just ask.

2, have no idea, We have a MBS 2400WS

3. Learn to conserve, fill the bathroom sink half full with warm water, sponge bathe, and then jump in the shower to rinse off. Use this method especially when washing hair. You will also find that you can go through that 44 gallon tank of fresh water without filling your grey water tank so get a Coleman 5 gallon collapsible water jug. Since it is a concert venue, there will be potable water to be had somewhere on site. Use the jug to retrieve 10 gallons or so. Check and see, they may even have a Honey Dipper come around and empty holding tanks for a small fee. This is what we do when dry camping for extended periods of time.

4. I always carry some fresh water when we travel and make sure I have 1/3 tank when I start out. As far as the black water goes, I never empty until I have at least 2/3 tank full. You need that water pressure to push that poop.

5. Sorry don't know what a fantastic fan is. Please enlighten those of us who have never been in your vehicle.

Fan-Tastic Vent's Retail 12 Volt Fans
Old 07-06-2016, 02:25 PM   #9

Fantastic Fan is a branded overhead fan fitting in the roof of the RV and EXHAUSTS air fairly powerfully to create a breeze from open windows and to exhaust cooking smoke. They can either operate at a few speeds manually or automatically turn on when a pre-set temperture is reached. Ours turns on and off also when you raise/lower the vent cover to the fan & was an OEM option when we bought...also available at RV stores. It runs on 12Volt.
2014 Vespa LX150 2014 StellaAuto 125
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 03:35 PM   #10

I have the MBS 240S with a Fantastic Fan in the bthrm. I thought they all came with them. Buy some of the baby wipes/ dry cleansing cloths to cut down on water usage. I put a large plastic bowl in my kitchen sink and dump the excess gray water outside. ( I dump it in the toilet sometimes, but you will need that black water storage for 5 days camping unless you have access to a dump station.)

Tags
camping, dry camping, first time