Old 01-15-2014, 02:38 PM   #1

First time traveler

Hello,
My wife and I are planning our first trip with our new (to us) travel trailer. I'll keep my first post short. We are planning 5 days at Yosemite. We have reserved a non electric RV site (I think all sites at Yosemite are non-electric).
Since this is non-electric, non-water, non-sewer, what is the normal routine for a 5 day stay? It is just the DW and me (no children).
Thanks
Dave

Old 01-15-2014, 02:48 PM   #2
Denver, CO

That very much depends on what you expect from your camper, and what equipment you have. As a generality, stock campers are VERY poorly suited for dry camping and won't work for more than a day.

For electric, you need to look into your battery capacity and intended usage and either use a generator (if that is allowed) to recharge or just turn the system off.

With careful (very) water management (eg no showers) you may be able to stretch the water supply and waste capacity for that long, or get a waste tote to take to a dumpstation, and a water bladder to refill with fresh water.

Lots to think about and MANYs post here that hit upon aspects of your question. You may want toprovide more specific questions to get focused answers.

Old 01-15-2014, 04:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by paladave View Post
Hello,
My wife and I are planning our first trip with our new (to us) travel trailer. I'll keep my first post short. We are planning 5 days at Yosemite. We have reserved a non electric RV site (I think all sites at Yosemite are non-electric).
Since this is non-electric, non-water, non-sewer, what is the normal routine for a 5 day stay? It is just the DW and me (no children).
Thanks
Dave
My wife and I use the National Park and Forest Service camp grounds a lot. Most are like you've described, no hook ups. Usually you'll find well maintained restrooms. Sometimes showers but usually not. Use them for most of your needs and you can get 5 days with a 30+ gallon black tank easy. The CG's will also have fresh water spigots for filling your fresh tank. We use a couple of 5 gallon Jerry Cans (Walmart) to carry water from the spigot to the TT. Two trips, 20 gal, and you're set for a couple of days. Key here is keep an eye on your gray water levels. With some "judicious" usage you can stretch it to 5 days. Bar B Que to save on washing cooking utensils and of course paper and plastic eating utensils. The parks will allow you to run a generator to charge your batteries so that's seldom a problem as long as you have gas. We use battery powered LED lanterns both inside and outside and those things run for days on a charge. Dry camping can be more fun than a challenge. Just depends on how you look at it. Challenges and opportunities! We love it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_4464.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	44977  
Old 01-15-2014, 04:55 PM   #4

Forgot to mention, most GC's are set up with dump stations so you can empty the tanks on the way out. Some have fresh water as well to allow for easily filling the fresh tank on the way in. Sure beats the ol' tent
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_0056.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	44982  
Old 01-15-2014, 08:19 PM   #5
Moderators' Assistant

if you don't have two deep cycle batteries on your trailer or no generator, then you won't make it 5 days. especially if you use the furnace.
also, depending on how much water your FW tank holds, you may not last that long without refilling the FW tank. and you may also run out of gray water tank space, depending on what size it is.
the only thing you probably won't have to worry about, is the black tank. you'll easily be able to go the whole time without dumping it, unless it's unusually small capacity.

that's why it's helpful if you post the year/brand/model of trailer you have, if you want better info.
also, you aren't boondocking at Yosemite, you're dry camping. Boondocking is where you camp where there are no assigned campsites and no facilities of any kind. such as in BLM land or National forests land.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:56 PM   #6

If you plan to be dry camping often, you will need a generator. Better yet, two smaller generators. Yamaha and Honda make good models that can be 'paralleled' with an accessory cable.

Two is better, because you can just run one if you don't need the air conditioner, or the microwave, if you have one. Better fuel economy and less wear and tear on the gennies as you can alternate them.

Make sure you have your hot water heater and fridge set to propane (not auto) So it will not load your generators when you get them.

How many batteries does your RV have? What shape are they in? You might want to get a second if you only have one. If you replace, consider going to two 6 volts connected in series, I believe it's called, so they make 12 volts. More expensive, but they go longer before needing to recharge, I gather.

2 Yamaha EF2000iS generators
Rmack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
first time, travel