Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2013, 02:55 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 85
Follow up to camping with no electicity/no water at site

We went camping without water or electricity hook ups for 4 nights with our 8 kids (18,16,14,13,10,7,3,1). We had originally planned to just hit the battery disconnect for the trip and turn off the propane at night for safety reasons. We would use the toilet at night and the vault toilets at the campground during the day. We would use flashlights and a battery operated LED lantern for lights and our 5 day cooler for food.

We had been using the fridge on the first leg of our trip so when we got there, the fridge was still cold. Our 5 day cooler did not seem to be keeping our food as cool as we wanted so we decided to use the fridge. DH said if the battery died, and it was not good after, we would just replace it. He wanted to "experiment." And we didn't want to have to be constantly checking/worrying about the food going bad and adding ice.

We ended up using the furnace 2 nights. Unseasonably cold in the low 40's and we were worried about our 1 and 3 year old being warm enough. Other two nights were low 50's and we were good without the furnace.

My husband had put some water in the fresh water tank....just in case.

So we used the water pump and the hot water heater one night to clean the little girls off at night but decided it was just as good to heat up water on the burner and fill the shower with a couple inches of water and just let them splash a little. I also took a navy shower one night because I was just covered in dirt and it was too cold to go in Lake Michigan to "wash" up, the water felt like ice! yikes! We did turn on the pump a few times just because it was easier than trekking to get water from the spigot but for the most part we had water in the bathroom to wash hands and to flush.

I did use the fan/vent on the stove a couple times when cooking inside on the burners.

As the battery was getting lower, we plugged in to the car and started it up for about 2 hours. It helped a little.

We never used any lights because we do not have LED.

The battery died on the morning we were packing up to leave. We plugged into the car to bring in the slide and the awning.

Our black tank was showing 1/3 full, gray tank 2/3. There was no dump station so we had to drive home with it. We filled both tanks with water at home and dumped at the storage facility we use for the trailer.

It worked out well....but if we did this type of camping regularly, we would definitely buy a generator and have not ruled that out when we have a little more money in the budget.
__________________

__________________
233S
2500 Chevy Express
Nights camped 2013-22
mom28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 03:08 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Brother Les's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: BoCoMo
Posts: 1,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom28 View Post
We went camping without water or electricity hook ups for 4 nights with our 8 kids (18,16,14,13,10,7,3,1). We had originally planned to just hit the battery disconnect for the trip and turn off the propane at night for safety reasons. We would use the toilet at night and the vault toilets at the campground during the day. We would use flashlights and a battery operated LED lantern for lights and our 5 day cooler for food.

We had been using the fridge on the first leg of our trip so when we got there, the fridge was still cold. Our 5 day cooler did not seem to be keeping our food as cool as we wanted so we decided to use the fridge. DH said if the battery died, and it was not good after, we would just replace it. He wanted to "experiment." And we didn't want to have to be constantly checking/worrying about the food going bad and adding ice.

We ended up using the furnace 2 nights. Unseasonably cold in the low 40's and we were worried about our 1 and 3 year old being warm enough. Other two nights were low 50's and we were good without the furnace.

My husband had put some water in the fresh water tank....just in case.

So we used the water pump and the hot water heater one night to clean the little girls off at night but decided it was just as good to heat up water on the burner and fill the shower with a couple inches of water and just let them splash a little. I also took a navy shower one night because I was just covered in dirt and it was too cold to go in Lake Michigan to "wash" up, the water felt like ice! yikes! We did turn on the pump a few times just because it was easier than trekking to get water from the spigot but for the most part we had water in the bathroom to wash hands and to flush.

I did use the fan/vent on the stove a couple times when cooking inside on the burners.

As the battery was getting lower, we plugged in to the car and started it up for about 2 hours. It helped a little.

We never used any lights because we do not have LED.

The battery died on the morning we were packing up to leave. We plugged into the car to bring in the slide and the awning.

Our black tank was showing 1/3 full, gray tank 2/3. There was no dump station so we had to drive home with it. We filled both tanks with water at home and dumped at the storage facility we use for the trailer.

It worked out well....but if we did this type of camping regularly, we would definitely buy a generator and have not ruled that out when we have a little more money in the budget.
You have a few things to learn to keep your camping experience a lot of fun instead of a lot of work. Make sure that batts are fully charged. running fridge and propane at night is just fine. get a solar charger. there are 'safety' features that pull 12v. The furnace pulls a lot of 12v power. keep to mim if no 110. many other suggestion but later.
__________________

__________________
Brother Les

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 03:08 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
 
Triguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Southeast Wisconsin
Posts: 6,950
Sounds like a good trip. Where do all 8 kids sleep in the 233S? That's amazing!

You might consider a bigger bank of batteries (6-volt or 12-volt). Cheaper than a quiet generator and can provide many times the capacity of the typical group 24 that you probably have right now. You were very frugal, but the extra capacity is nice.
__________________
Scott
DW, 3 Kids and our Goldens

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 03:24 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
Sounds like a good trip. Where do all 8 kids sleep in the 233S? That's amazing!
.
Our DS18 and DS13 sleep in the back bed,
DD14 and DD16 on side bed,
DH and I in the front bed
DS10 and DD4 sleep on the dinette bed (although DD4 usually ends up with DH and I),
DD7 sleeps on the sofa bed and DD1 sleeps in a pack and play.

They are used to sleeping on full beds during vacation so these beds are roomy!

My oldest is leaving for boot camp next month so we will reconfigure sleeping arrangements next year....
__________________
233S
2500 Chevy Express
Nights camped 2013-22
mom28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 03:28 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
 
Triguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Southeast Wisconsin
Posts: 6,950
That's great! The 233S is really made to accommodate larger families well.
__________________
Scott
DW, 3 Kids and our Goldens

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 03:35 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
You have a few things to learn to keep your camping experience a lot of fun instead of a lot of work. Make sure that batts are fully charged. running fridge and propane at night is just fine. get a solar charger. there are 'safety' features that pull 12v. The furnace pulls a lot of 12v power. keep to mim if no 110. many other suggestion but later.
We don't have a few things to learn....we need to learn a LOT!! We just got the trailer in Feb.

But I like the "work" aspect of camping...that is part of the FUN!! And I felt like we were living the luxurious life as most of the families we were camping with were in tents.

I am not sure a solar charger would have worked very well, there were so many trees. How do the solar chargers work?
__________________
233S
2500 Chevy Express
Nights camped 2013-22
mom28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 04:06 PM   #7
Moderators' Assistant
 
bikendan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 13,300
installing a two battery setup will go a long way.
we dry camp nearly all the time and we have two deep cycle batteries and a Honda 2000, just in case.
have had this setup for over 5 years now and we can go 3-4 days without needing the Honda to recharge.
__________________
Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 04:27 PM   #8
TeresaInCAL
 
TeresaInCAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: California foothills
Posts: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom28 View Post
We don't have a few things to learn....we need to learn a LOT!! We just got the trailer in Feb.

But I like the "work" aspect of camping...that is part of the FUN!! And I felt like we were living the luxurious life as most of the families we were camping with were in tents.

I am not sure a solar charger would have worked very well, there were so many trees. How do the solar chargers work?
There really is quite the learning curve when dealing with travel trailers. And be sure to take notes, because if you don't use it for a few months (like over winter), it's easy to forget key points.

We dry camp just as much, if not more than with hook ups. We have the 2 battery set up, and a Honda 2000i genny. We don't conserve energy, just run the genny for an hour or 2 each morning. This way we can run the microwave, and charge any electronics too. No big deal. We DO conserve water though.
__________________
Teresa
2013 f150 Ecoboost 4x4
2009 Gray Wolf, 22BH
TeresaInCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 05:13 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus
 
RVChick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: In the Country
Posts: 6,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
That's great! The 233S is really made to accommodate larger families well.
Wow I am really impressed!! Love reading this thread!
__________________
Kenny n Karen
TV: 2007 Chevy Silverado 3500 DRW - named Alice
RV: 2012 XLR Thunderbolt 35x12 - named Thor
RVChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:40 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom28 View Post
Our DS18 and DS13 sleep in the back bed,
DD14 and DD16 on side bed,
DH and I in the front bed
DS10 and DD4 sleep on the dinette bed (although DD4 usually ends up with DH and I),
DD7 sleeps on the sofa bed and DD1 sleeps in a pack and play.

They are used to sleeping on full beds during vacation so these beds are roomy!

My oldest is leaving for boot camp next month so we will reconfigure sleeping arrangements next year....
Not that it matters to anyone but myself, but I should have proof read this before I posted it. My daughter is 3 not 4. And my 7 year old is a son, not a daughter. oops!
__________________

__________________
233S
2500 Chevy Express
Nights camped 2013-22
mom28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
camping, water

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:16 PM.