Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2018, 12:46 PM   #1

Generator

I’m looking at a Honda EU2200i or Yamaha EF2000iSV2 generator for dry camping. My in-laws want to “tap into” our generator on a trip. He thinks it will not be often when we are both dry camping together and thinks we can share ONE generator for TWO travel trailers. I canNOT find any info on hooking up 2 RVs to one generator...I only see info on paralleling 2 generators. Anyone have any info on this?? Thanks in advance!!

Also, is the generators listed above too much power for ONE 30’ trailer?? (If we were just getting a generator for our rig only)
Thanks again!!
jsslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 01:01 PM   #2

Get the Honda, I got rid of my Yamahas because of so many problems with them. I went with the Honda EU3000i.
As far a if you can run to trailers it depends on what you plan on running. Even the Honda you are talking about may not run the AC in your trailer.
Do some more research on what size your appliances are and capabilities of the genny you choose.
Good luck!
2015 Coachmen Chaparral 336 TSIK

Twice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 01:09 PM   #3

If you will only be using the genny to recharge the batteries and maybe run a small microwave or coffee maker, you can do it as long as you coordinate usage. By that, I mean you can't both use larger appliances at the same time. Using the A/C is out of the question.

No problem wiring them to the genny. Attach one camper's 30 AMP shore power line to the 30 AMP outlet, and the other one to the 15 AMP outlet with a 15/30 dogbone converter.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Dogbone...ds=camco+55165

Worst that can happen is that you have to buy another genny anyway.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 10:10 AM   #4

I am curios about the generator size thing.

We plugged our fifth wheel into 30 amp survive and somehow both ac units came on and ran. Ocassional convection oven use as well as the converter. Never an issue on too much use. Even used the dryer.

We got home and for the devil of it I plugged into the house 20 amp service via a 100’ extension and one ac came on and has run in 90 degree weather with the converter as well. When I tried a 1500 watt heater the breaker tripped.

Makes me wonder if a Honda 2200 would power my ac, one 15000 btu unit. If I turned other breakers off? Draws less than 15 amps running. It is a new unit.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 03:12 AM   #5

A EU2200i would certainly power an AC drawing 15-amps at sea level. My EU2000i will generate 1,800 watts all day long at sea level running and old 13,500 btu AC. The only problem that might come up is thin air at elevation reducing engine power. As long as the engine can produce the horsepower needed to carry the load, the generator inverter has the capacity to power it.

There is a significant difference between a Honda generator and a circuit breaker on utility power. The Honda goes into overload almost right at its peak current rating. A circuit breaker functions on a time and current curve, such that a 20-amp circuit breaker can carry 22 or 24 amps often for an hour or more without tripping and even more current for shorter periods of time. The 30-amp breaker could carry 33 amps for an hour or more and I have loaded 30-amp breakers to 40 amps running the microwave for short periods without tripping a 30-amp circuit breaker due to the time and current needed to trip it. A Honda isn’t going to work like a circuit breaker on utility power though.

That said, we make due with the EU2000i for charging the batteries in ours and our daughter’s RV’s. We do have to unplug one RV from the Honda if someone needs to use their microwave oven. And when first charging low batteries, two converters can load a 2,000-watt generator for all it is worth requiring one RV be charged separately for a short while to drop the output of one converter as the batteries become charged so the other RV can be plugged in and charge too. Power management 101.
Splitshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 04:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twice View Post
Get the Honda, I got rid of my Yamahas because of so many problems with them. I went with the Honda EU3000i.
As far a if you can run to trailers it depends on what you plan on running. Even the Honda you are talking about may not run the AC in your trailer.
Do some more research on what size your appliances are and capabilities of the genny you choose.
Good luck!
Sorry to hear of the bad luck you had with the Yamaha. However, I need to point out that in a decade of reading posts on generators, this is the FIRST negative one I've ever read on Yamaha. Personally, I'm in year 7 with mine and it has never stumbled in the face of a hard life.

From experience, I would not buy one that can "probably" run the A/C. When you need it, it is too important of a job. I went with the Yamaha 2400 for that reason, you could also consider the Honda 3000 or pair of 2000's. You can run anything you have and sharing becomes easier.

Regarding the extra expense, you have to remember that this may very well be a lifetime purchase. You won't remember the extra expense in 20 years.

tragusa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 06:42 AM   #7

I had a pair of Honda 2000's and loved them. Sold my trailer and the generators. Now a 5th wheel and an Onan 5500. Can't go wrong with paralleling two Hondas.
Old 07-28-2018, 07:04 AM   #8

OK you buy 2 Honda 2000 that can be Paralleled,each of you use 1 if the Needs surpass the output needed,Unhook your FIL and enjoy YOUR Generators! Youroo!!
Old 07-28-2018, 08:09 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
OK you buy 2 Honda 2000 that can be Paralleled,each of you use 1 if the Needs surpass the output needed,Unhook your FIL and enjoy YOUR Generators! Youroo!!
Can't agree more. We tried to "share" our two Hondas with the BIL ONCE. . That was enough. I spent a lot of time resetting them and cussing. And we weren't even trying to use a/c.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 08:30 AM   #10
Site Team

Yes. You can plug both tt into one generator. BUT make sure AC's are OFF. Water heaters are on LP. Fridges are on LP. And no one uses hairdryer or other high amp accessories. It'll give you light, water pump and charge batteries. Brothers and I do it with a 3000 w while dry camping with 3 tts.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 08:57 AM   #11

I have three Hondas - 1000, 2000 & 3000. I find it a big pain to parallel. For my camper I bought a Champion 3100/2800 - for the remote start feature and find it superior to the Hondas in all respects, especially the price.
It has the 30 amp plug for your camper and standard outlets for the other camper. Or you can plug in your camper and use an outside receptacle for their extension cord.
https://www.amazon.com/Champion-3100...guL&ref=plSrch
jeffnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 07:37 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnick View Post
I have three Hondas - 1000, 2000 & 3000. I find it a big pain to parallel. For my camper I bought a Champion 3100/2800 - for the remote start feature and find it superior to the Hondas in all respects, especially the price.
It has the 30 amp plug for your camper and standard outlets for the other camper. Or you can plug in your camper and use an outside receptacle for their extension cord.
https://www.amazon.com/Champion-3100...guL&ref=plSrch
Love my Champion 3100 remote. And it is so much quieter than the 4000 onan in my class c. Some, that don't know better, will warn about not starting it while plugged in, but it has the built-in delay which allows engine to warm and even out before sending power to the RV.

I was a bit surprised at how loud the onan is.

Old 07-28-2018, 09:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
Love my Champion 3100 remote. And it is so much quieter than the 4000 onan in my class c. Some, that don't know better, will warn about not starting it while plugged in, but it has the built-in delay which allows engine to warm and even out before sending power to the RV.

I was a bit surprised at how loud the onan is.
The Onan microquiet 4000 has got to be the absolute worst generator on the planet, bar none. I absolutely hate the one in my new motor home. It is louder than a jet engine at full throttle, vibrates and shakes like no one’s business, has the absolute worst quality AC power any generator could possibly produce, constantly tripping my GFCI. The Onan microquiet 4000 is absolute pure junk. I carry and use my Honda inverter generator because I care about my neighbors who have to listen to any inconsiderate RV camper who has to run a generator like me. The absolute best thing that could append to the RV industry and all RV purchasers would be for Onan/Cummins to go belly up and die. Someday that Onan boat anchor I drag around is going to get replaced with a quiet inverter generator.
Splitshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 11:00 PM   #14

We have ran 2 RV’s off my Champion 400/3500 open frame at a NASCAR race. It was in October so no AC was needed. A couple of times we overloaded it to where it tried to die. We also figured out that you charge one trailers batteries for 20 minuets before hooking up the other camper. Overall it worked out pretty good. I am not an inverter generator person but if you trip a overload on an inverter generator don’t you have to shut it down to reset it? Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 07:46 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitshaft View Post
The Onan microquiet 4000 has got to be the absolute worst generator on the planet, bar none. I absolutely hate the one in my new motor home. It is louder than a jet engine at full throttle, vibrates and shakes like no one’s business, has the absolute worst quality AC power any generator could possibly produce, constantly tripping my GFCI. The Onan microquiet 4000 is absolute pure junk. I carry and use my Honda inverter generator because I care about my neighbors who have to listen to any inconsiderate RV camper who has to run a generator like me. The absolute best thing that could append to the RV industry and all RV purchasers would be for Onan/Cummins to go belly up and die. Someday that Onan boat anchor I drag around is going to get replaced with a quiet inverter generator.
Well I see I'm not the only one. [emoji16] I was wondering if I just had a bad one. It started off running rough with surging and vibration but after about 30 hours it settled down. Starts easy, runs smooth, just LOUD!!!

Old 07-29-2018, 08:48 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitshaft View Post
The Onan 5500 Marquis Gold is great. Wonder why the difference?
Old 08-01-2018, 07:26 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkatb View Post
I am curios about the generator size thing.

We plugged our fifth wheel into 30 amp survive and somehow both ac units came on and ran. Ocassional convection oven use as well as the converter. Never an issue on too much use. Even used the dryer.

We got home and for the devil of it I plugged into the house 20 amp service via a 100’ extension and one ac came on and has run in 90 degree weather with the converter as well. When I tried a 1500 watt heater the breaker tripped.

Makes me wonder if a Honda 2200 would power my ac, one 15000 btu unit. If I turned other breakers off? Draws less than 15 amps running. It is a new unit.

Look at the Micro Air Easy Start 364. Its a soft start mod for the AC. My eu2000i can run my 15k Coleman Mach AC for about three minutes before the Compressor kicks out from low voltage. I would think mine would work fine with the 2200. It starts the fan first, and the compressor comes in a few moments later. Instead of a hard start, with a load spike, it spins up slowly.

There are a few different threads here on the Forum.
katkt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator