Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2013, 03:32 PM   #21

It's more efficient to charge with the 110-V connected to the RV. The genie only puts out about 8-10 Amps DC.
1984 19.5' Beachcraft i/o 5.o liter, 4-bbl (and you thought your Moho sucked gas!)
D/W Carole and Maggie the Teacup Lab (Black Chihuahua)
Freds342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:26 PM   #22

I have been charging mine back up just plugging into the 110 outlet on the generator, takes about an hour, & the WH was on too. Try it out the 1st day & see how long it takes for yours.

You could just skip that furnace & sleep a bit closer the your DW.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:50 PM   #23

Thanks for info. Closer is an idea but the dog is in the way. I'm lucky if I'm not on the couch Love this forum. Tech support and marriage counseling all in the same place!
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:41 PM   #24
Site Team

using the 12v charging cables is the worse way of charging the batteries.
let the converter do the job, it'll be way faster.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:36 PM   #25

Thanks to all who offered their advice on first time boondocking. We just returned from three days in the Unita Mountains (Utah). Everything went perfectly! Couldn't have been more pleased with the "Deluxe Accommodations". These TT's are really nice. All the comforts and great view.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_3739.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	33913   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_3787.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	33914   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_3854.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	33915  
Old 06-24-2013, 01:27 PM   #26

Beautiful pictures!
Old 06-24-2013, 02:42 PM   #27
Always Learning

@Canonman - geez, what an eye for photography! I see now why your screen name is what it is.

I could almost be called Nikoncaveman because while I have a Nikon DSLR, I'm still just a caveman pounding at my tools to get somewhat passable pictures.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:08 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
OK, new question for your guys. Our first boon-docking trip coming up this weekend. We have a 2011 Wildwood with two 12v batteries. I inherited a small Honda 750w generator my dad used for years. Generator has a DC output I understand you can attach straight to the batteries for charging. Is it better (more efficient) to charge the batteries this way or to just take 110v into the trailer and let the converter do the charging?
Just the wife and I camping this weekend staying 3 days and 2 nights. 9000ft mountain camp so we'll likely be running the furnace at night. I'm guessing this will deplete the batteries by morning so charging will be needed.
Appreciate your thoughts
Always plug in and charge through the converter, which has a 3-stage charger built in. Running directly to the battery with out the float stage may end up frying your batteries.
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:27 PM   #29

Thanks guys for the kind words. I've been doing "caveman" camping for too long. The info on battery charging and using the generator were spot on. I'm done sleeping in the dirt. Unless of course she kicks me out....again
Gotta remember to use my inside voice more often.
As for Nikoncaveman my suggestion is you're just not getting out and shooting enough.
BTW you can never get out and shoot enough!
Love this RV Camping
Old 08-12-2013, 10:13 AM   #30

I read this thread with much interest. The DW and I will be "roughing it" (her words not mine for a week of boondocking in the aderondaks eastern NY. It is a DEC park, no electric, and you can only run your generator 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours at night. I have a coleman 1500 watt 1800 watt max generator witch is approved for Federal park system. My brother who is an electrician said that I should be using a battery charger plugged into the generator as this would charge the battery faster then the converter. So after reading this thread am not sure if I take the charger or not. Will 4 hours a day keep my battery charged?
Golflover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:48 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golflover View Post
I read this thread with much interest. The DW and I will be "roughing it" (her words not mine for a week of boondocking in the aderondaks eastern NY. It is a DEC park, no electric, and you can only run your generator 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours at night. I have a coleman 1500 watt 1800 watt max generator witch is approved for Federal park system. My brother who is an electrician said that I should be using a battery charger plugged into the generator as this would charge the battery faster then the converter. So after reading this thread am not sure if I take the charger or not. Will 4 hours a day keep my battery charged?
Plugging the tt directly into the generator and letting your converter charge the battery should be fine, if your power usage isn't excessive. I would think the tt converter charges at about the same rate as a battery charger on the normal charge rate. Your brother may be suggesting using the fast charge mode. I've never used a fast charge on deep cycle batteries - not sure if there is any risk in that.

We love the Adirondacks and frequently stay at the state parks. We were at Rollins Pond in July. Went four days on just our two 12 volt batteries. That was taking it easy - interior lights are LED's, then minimal use of the water pump. Our fridge has a cooling fan and it was hot, so that fan ran almost 24hrs a day.

Calculating the amp hour requirements would get a precise answer, but I think in general, the 2 hours in the am and 2 hours in the pm that they allow generators is enough time to stay charged with a little conservation the demand side.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:57 AM   #32

I can only tell you what I observed from personal experience. I use a small Honda 750w generator. Just the wife and I and we camp rather conservatively. This has been our highest usage so far.We ran our generator the day after an evening where the temps were in the low 50's so the furnace did kick in a few times during the night. Batteries were about at the 1/2 mark by the time we started the generator (1pm). We ran the generator simply using the convertor to charge the batteries for less than three hours and reached full charge. I'd say depending on how far discharged the batteries are when you start charging as well as the condition of the batteries, would determine the charge time more than generator size and charger type. IMHO I think you'd be OK.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_3719 - Version 2.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	37501  
Old 08-12-2013, 11:02 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMP44 View Post
Plugging the tt directly into the generator and letting your converter charge the battery should be fine, if your power usage isn't excessive. I would think the tt converter charges at about the same rate as a battery charger on the normal charge rate. Your brother may be suggesting using the fast charge mode. I've never used a fast charge on deep cycle batteries - not sure if there is any risk in that.

We love the Adirondacks and frequently stay at the state parks. We were at Rollins Pond in July. Went four days on just our two 12 volt batteries. That was taking it easy - interior lights are LED's, then minimal use of the water pump. Our fridge has a cooling fan and it was hot, so that fan ran almost 24hrs a day.

Calculating the amp hour requirements would get a precise answer, but I think in general, the 2 hours in the am and 2 hours in the pm that they allow generators is enough time to stay charged with a little conservation the demand side.
We will be at Fish Creek Pond, just a stones throw from Rollins. We will be using the camper lights sparingly. I had her stock up on some new batteries for the flash lights instead of lighting up the camper top to bottom. Propane lantern outside, led lantern inside and for walking at night. Propane tanks are full so just need battery for fridge start up. I do not anticipate heat being needed so that should hold back fan usage. The camper was brand new this year so battery is fine. I think we'll be good to go with just the generator, but I might throw the charger in. I was also thinking about a surge protector, as I have read a lot about them and with using the generator I was thinking it might be a good idea....
Old 08-12-2013, 11:10 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
I can only tell you what I observed from personal experience. I use a small Honda 750w generator. Just the wife and I and we camp rather conservatively. This has been our highest usage so far.We ran our generator the day after an evening where the temps were in the low 50's so the furnace did kick in a few times during the night. Batteries were about at the 1/2 mark by the time we started the generator (1pm). We ran the generator simply using the convertor to charge the batteries for less than three hours and reached full charge. I'd say depending on how far discharged the batteries are when you start charging as well as the condition of the batteries, would determine the charge time more than generator size and charger type. IMHO I think you'd be OK.
Thanks Canonman.. I am thinking we'll be ok as the fridge, water pump and possibly furnace are the big items. Lights will be used sparingly as flash lights and lanterns are ready...

On another note I just got the EOS 7D with the battery grip, remote shutter control card reader, 16 gig card and a few other add ons for my crime scene kit... I would love to "borrow" it for my trip to Fish Creek pond... would sure beat the hell out of what I normally photograph.....
Old 08-12-2013, 11:30 AM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Cannon 7D is a great DSLR. Have fun with it.

With regards to charging through the converter in the TT or a separate battery charger, I would say you are better off with the battery charger.

The typical WFCO converter today is going to take longer and will not provide enough voltage to keep deep-cycle batteries healthy over the long haul. I can provide some detail if you wish, but my personal experience charging my 6-volt battery bank is that my 40-amp charger does it quicker and at a higher voltage for a longer period than the converter/charger.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:52 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
Cannon 7D is a great DSLR. Have fun with it.

With regards to charging through the converter in the TT or a separate battery charger, I would say you are better off with the battery charger.

The typical WFCO converter today is going to take longer and will not provide enough voltage to keep deep-cycle batteries healthy over the long haul. I can provide some detail if you wish, but my personal experience charging my 6-volt battery bank is that my 40-amp charger does it quicker and at a higher voltage for a longer period than the converter/charger.

thanks Tri Guy... I was leaning towards taking the charger as a just in case thing.. It is small handles all battery types and it couldn't hurt to have it along.. much the same as tools, bottles jacks, etc..

I have done some CS work with the 7D it is on the same order as the 4D just with more features.. But this at least provides me with 2 camera bodies so that it cuts down on the lens swapping I have to do to capture an entire crime scene... I keep the Maco lens on the 4D and the wide angle on the 7D and only have to swap 2 other lenses out if needed... With the 7 I have the grip add on and it makes the camera heavier but adds the versatility.. over all I am happy with it....
Old 08-13-2013, 09:45 AM   #37
Site Team

Golflover, your Coleman generator may have a muffler that's approved, but its noise level may not be.

there's no such thing as a quiet Coleman generator.

but are you going to really be "boondocking" or will you be "dry camping"?

boondocking is where you camp in an undeveloped place and don't have designated campsites with neighbors.
dry camping is camping in a developed campground WITHOUT any hookups.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:50 AM   #38

I guess there must be several "interpretations" of the terms.. We will be dry camping it appears. My coleman has a 58 db rating.. Not sure if that is loud by standards or not.. When I got it years ago. Honda did not make the 1000.2000 or 3000 EU models... I'll start it and run and the worst they can do is tell me to turn it off if it's too annoying or loud...
Old 08-13-2013, 12:45 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golflover View Post
We will be at Fish Creek Pond, just a stones throw from Rollins.
This was our first trip there. We usually end up staying in the southern half of the Adirondacks, but we were looking for some different kayaking spots and Rollins/Fish Creek sure fit that bill. It was worth the extra couple hours drive. One thing is for sure though, with the long drive through Fish Creek and then into Rollins, you don't want to have to run out to the store very often...

There certainly were lots of generators hammering away when were there. I don't think you need to worry about your sound level as long as you are within the allowed hours. The policy says "excessively loud generators may not be used" but they don't define it or seem to have anybody out policing it.

Enjoy the trip!

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 01:48 PM   #40

Direct charging vs 110V through trailer invertor

If you are going to use other things while you have the generator running and it is going to run for a long time (+6 Hrs) then it doesn't matter. Your trailer charger is a trickle charger. The direct output from the generator is more like a charger you would use to charge a car battery. Using that output directly to your battery will charge it much faster than the trailer charger would. (probably less than an hour)