Old 06-29-2013, 08:00 AM   #11

My two sons and our daughter have honda 3000s. Very quiet and they run their TTs just fine. You have to shut down the AC to run the microwave. I have a juice box Onan 4000 watt genny but went from a honda 3000. They are pricey. Now you can get two honda 2000s one being called a companion model. They can be run in parallel with the hook up that you buy extra. The companion model had a 30 amp connection but you have to run it in parallel with the regular 2000 watt honda. Google them. We all dry camp a lot so they are the ones we chose to use and have never had a problem with them. The 3000s are a tad heavy at, I seem to remember, 134 lbs dry. The handles make it awkward to lift by your self. You can get wheels for them. http://www.ebay.ca/itm/All-Terrain-W...727956625#shId

Old 06-29-2013, 11:26 AM   #12
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrunning View Post
bikendan what kind of price are they talking for the 3100w? because i assume when you said what people are looking for is a reasonably quiet reasonably affordable generator that will run their ac
well, from the link above, CW has it on sale for $899. Amazon has it for $916.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 11:29 AM   #13
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBaron View Post
The Honda EU3000iS is pricy, but it lasts a lot longer than the Champion 3100. It is also 1 decibel quieter per the specs.
As a popup owner without A/C or a microwave or any other major electrical appliances (we normally dry camp without electricity), a 3,000 watt generator seems overkill. Any experience or recommendations?
well, you can't say the Honda lasts a lot longer, cause the Champion 3100 just came out and has no history yet. but you can assume, based on Honda's rep, that the Champion won't last as long.
but i'll not make that judgement yet.

as far as what you would need, a Honda or Yamaha 2000 will be the best choice. it's not that much more than a 1000w unit and you can run other things if you needed to.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:56 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom28 View Post
So we are going camping without electric hookups this August. I had a lot of helpful replies to a previous thread.

Since that time, brother in law offered to lend us his generator...but it is big and loud.

While shopping at Costco, I saw a generator for I think $599. I took pictures of the generator and box but forgot to take a picture of the tag with the price. (2 other local Costco did not carry this generator)

This is the information from the pictures I took of the box and the generator itself:
Smarter Tools
SinePower Pro
2000 W/1600 W
AP2000i
Yamaha MZ80 Engine
51dB @ 1/4 load (400 watts)
44 lbs
Reliable power -true sine wave for sensitive electronics

Is this a good generator, good price, etc?
I defer to the experts on this forum and thank you in advance for any advice you can give me!

If we decide to purchase a generator, I will be full of questions on how to actually use it camping!!
No expert here. I would definitely agree with others who say it all depends on what you would like to accomplish. For us its all about the juicer and blender we use. The blender is rated at 1200w and the juicer less than a 1000w. So with that I decided to purchase the Champion 2000/1600w. I have no information to the model you are mentioning from Costco. I mention the Champion because it is only $399 on Ebay as a refurbished unit (includes shipping). I was a little hesitant about getting a refurbished unit for I tend to think of refurbished as equal to "broken". Mine came looking basically brand new. It has started up on one pull every time its been used. No issues with it at all. I've been very pleased.

I just got back from a weekend of camping and will be selling it and purchasing the Champion 3100w instead. I know I just said I've been very pleased! I stayed with Champion because if it works like the 2000 did I will be extremely happy. I am selling because even though the items I want to power should be more than handled by the 2000w I am having issues with it cutting out. I am finding myself shutting off breakers inside the camper for the water heater, converter, and just about anything else non-essential when I blend my fruits/veggies to avoid cut out. I am heading west in about 10 days and will be camping at 8000 feet for two weeks and dont think I'll be able to get my blender/juicer to work at that altitude when I'm having issues at 1000 feet.

It all depends on what you want to use it for and I would say make sure there's some left over power just in case you camp at high altitude or those items you need to power take more at start up, etc. Now if you just need to give some juice to your batteries that 2000w generator will probably be fantastic. If you want to save $200 PM me and I'll hook you up with the link. I'd sell you mine as it has less than three hours of time on it but I'm in Minnesota (would have to charge you shipping) and I think I can get what I paid for out of it as it really is like new and thats what you will most likely get.

Good luck hunting for power! BTW...the mirrors worked great this weekend and that van is still super thirsty when pulling the camper.

http://instagram.com/pineforestcamper#
----------------------------------------
PineForestCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:10 PM   #15

Thanks for all the replies. I am having an internal battle. Just bust the budget and buy a generator or forget the generator completely and enjoy nature without all the luxuries we are enjoying in our new 233S! UGH! ;-)

If we planned to do a lot of non hookup camping, I would definitely buy the generator but I am just not sure if we will or not.

I am going to research the Champion 3100. I cannot remember all that was covered in the posts...would that one run the A/C if necessary? The microwave?

I think I could justify the purchase if it could also be used as a back up for the house when the power goes out. Would it keep a fridge and mid size chest freezer and a few lights powered?
mom28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:15 PM   #16

[QUOTE=WarMovies;

Good luck hunting for power! BTW...the mirrors worked great this weekend and that van is still super thirsty when pulling the camper.[/QUOTE]

We forgot to order the mirrors for this last trip and I had to drive through Detroit again without them. Yikes! We ordered them and paid extra to have them delivered before we head out again on July 6. I hope they help!
mom28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:52 AM   #17
Incheon, S. Korea

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
well, you can't say the Honda lasts a lot longer, cause the Champion 3100 just came out and has no history yet.
I meant the Honda runs longer on a tank of fuel...

I was thinking an EU2000 (220V) would be the right way to go also. Thanks for the confirmation.
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:45 AM   #18

There is a gentron generator on the market. It seem pretty nice We r carrying them at work to sell have not asked pricing yet
Old 07-03-2013, 11:16 AM   #19

The Champion 3100 is a good looking generator. I like the rv ready receptacle. Who sells and services Champion and do any of the big box stores sell them?
Old 07-03-2013, 11:26 AM   #20

I have used my Honda 2000 3 Times niw and I absolutely love it. I paid about ab grand with taxes and the battery cables. It is quiet enough I set it on the street side and can barely hear it. I haven't worried about the neighbours because theirs are so loud in the first place. I bought the twothousand because I can tether it to another and have 4000 watts for the same price as a 3000 watt Honda. How this helps.