Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2013, 07:35 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaulsen View Post
I just bought the Champion 4000/3500 watt generator from HD for $274.00. It runs my AC and microwave at the same time. Weighs 107 lbs.
That's not an "Inverter Generator" so the voltage it produces is not very "clean" (eg, may not be suitable for electronics) and it is very noisy.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 12:37 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
Note that you have to have an adapter to do that. There is no 30-amp plug on that generator.
Good point, Barry....I also ordered the parallel kit, which comes with the 30amp adapter I'll need. I figure its just a matter of time before I get the second one (the "Companion" model), so I'll have just enough time to forget where I put the parallel cables....
KrohnWE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 02:38 PM   #43
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaulsen View Post
I just bought the Champion 4000/3500 watt generator from HD for $274.00. It runs my AC and microwave at the same time. Weighs 107 lbs.
it's also at least 10x as loud as the Champion 2000w inverter generator.
HUGE difference between 53db for the 2000w and 68db for the 3500w.
i was set to buy the 3500w model, but when i heard how loud it was, compared to a Honda 2000w, there was no way i'd run that in a campground.
BUT it is a perfect and great choice if you are boondocking or at motor race events or used for home power outages.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:55 AM   #44

im trying to determine if the champion 3100 wat would be enough to handle my power needs. we plan on doing our first boondocking in novemeber. i will run the water heater and fridg on gas. the generator would mostly be used to run a 15btu ac, keep battery charged, cell phones, tablets charged and a electric skillet for breakfast. here in texas it could be hot or cold in early november its hard to tell but i want to make sure i have enough juice>
Prothos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:12 AM   #45
Incheon, S. Korea

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrohnWE View Post
so I'll have just enough time to forget where I put the parallel cables....
So true...
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:15 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prothos View Post
im trying to determine if the champion 3100 wat would be enough to handle my power needs. we plan on doing our first boondocking in novemeber. i will run the water heater and fridg on gas. the generator would mostly be used to run a 15btu ac, keep battery charged, cell phones, tablets charged and a electric skillet for breakfast. here in texas it could be hot or cold in early november its hard to tell but i want to make sure i have enough juice>
It should run the AC but might not run the AC and the microwave at the same time. I looked at the 3100 but I can lift a 2000W at 48 lbs but I cannot lift the 3100W at 84 lbs.
markly86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:40 PM   #47

Quote:
I an earlier post look it up on FR there is a appliance watt or amp of each appliance. Just add up what you want to run and see if it will work. It's all listed just add them up then you can decide if it will work or not. Thats what I would do and you can also see what else you can run or what order to run them in....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:45 PM   #48
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
I an earlier post look it up on FR there is a appliance watt or amp of each appliance. Just add up what you want to run and see if it will work. It's all listed just add them up then you can decide if it will work or not. Thats what I would do and you can also see what else you can run or what order to run them in....
Just for a FYI thing: We keep a copy from one of Turbo's posts of that in the FAQ section under Normal Appliance Amp Draws. It has AC and DC voltage averages:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...aws-17300.html

Just something to remember if anyone should have a need for it

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:51 PM   #49

I own a Champion 3100 inverter generator and have been extremely pleased so far. I purchased in June and have used it just about every trip out as almost all of our camping is dry. The 3100 provides plenty of power for us and has run our 13.5btu A/C w/o any issues. I would think it will run a 15btu A/C however the 1.6 gallon gas tank will limit the length of run time. Gas tank size works great for our usage which generally is high draw and a short run time. We were out for 12 days this summer and I only had to add fuel once (no A/C use). We also use it to charge our batteries and its great for that in econo mode. I should also mention that its easy to start and the 90 some pounds is not that hard to move. If I have an extra hand available it takes just that and a couple of seconds to lift it back into place for the ride home. I owned the 2000 watt model but realized that we would need more power camping in high elevations so decided to get the 3100 rather than do the two 2000’s. Two 2000’s would take up far more travel space than the one 3100. The price would be about the same for either setup. The 2000 worked great too but it just came down to personal preference in terms of space.

https://instagram.com/pineforestcamper#
----------------------------------------
PineForestCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 04:42 PM   #50

Bought the Smarter Tools AP2000 w/ Yamaha Engine. Got it running today with little problems. Plugged the trailer in and it's been running for about 3 hours an a 1/4 gallon of gas. Like it so far. Will let this thread know how things go as I use it more.

Bill
twofthrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:27 AM   #51

i went by Camping world yesterday . the saleslady kept insisting the champion 3100 inverter would not run my TT. i decided to give it try anyway from the reviews here and other sites. im happy to say after testing it is running my 15k ac, fridg on electric, water pump, a couple of lights and the tv. i have not seen the overload light come on. i cranked the ac down to 60 since temp is the 70's.
its has been running for an hour now. going to keep it running to check how long it will run on a tank, also the tt has cooled down and the gen is running in fuel save mode till the ac kicks in again. i will update my test results as i find them.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:21 AM   #52

Prothos, if you want to test the overload light you just have to start the microwave when the a/c is cooling. :-)
Flying dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:36 AM   #53

Quote:
i went by Camping world yesterday . the saleslady kept insisting the champion 3100 inverter would not run my TT. i decided to give it try anyway from the reviews here and other sites. im happy to say after testing it is running my 15k ac, fridg on electric, water pump, a couple of lights and the tv. i have not seen the overload light come on. i cranked the ac down to 60 since temp is the 70's.
its has been running for an hour now. going to keep it running to check how long it will run on a tank, also the tt has cooled down and the gen is running in fuel save mode till the ac kicks in again. i will update my test results as i find them.
Is the gen quite?
I was under the impression that the larger gens are pretty loud.
Just wondering...Thanks, Bill
Old 10-06-2013, 10:37 AM   #54

We have had the TT for about 4 months and have yet to use the microwave other than to test to make sure it was working. My goal mainly is to make sure it will run the main appliance we use. For fun after I check the avg run time on a tank of gas I may try the microwave and ac
Old 10-06-2013, 10:40 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by twofthrs View Post
Is the gen quite?

Since it is raining here I place it under the slide with the exhaust pointed away from the TT. With the ac and TV I barely noticed it running. When the ac powered down the even went to econo mode it was still the same
Old 10-06-2013, 11:17 AM   #56

Quote:
Is the gen quite? I was under the impression that the larger gens are pretty loud. Just wondering...Thanks, Bill
"Loud" depends primarily on whether it's an Inverter-Generator or the old style, and then the brand.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 02:14 PM   #57
Site Team

Quote:
Is the gen quite?
just cause it's larger, doesn't mean it's louder. as was said, it has to be an inverter generator to be considered truly quiet.
the Honda 3000 is quieter than the Honda 2000 or 1000.

just check the decibel noise rating on any generator. the new Champion 3100w has noise levels about the same as the Honda/Yamaha inverter generators.

it's the open-framed non-inverter generators that have decibel ratings of 68db or louder, that are not appropriate for campgrounds. they're fine if you boondock or camp at motor races though.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 02:27 PM   #58
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
just cause it's larger, doesn't mean it's louder. as was said, it has to be an inverter generator to be considered truly quiet. the Honda 3000 is quieter than the Honda 2000 or 1000. just check the decibel noise rating on any generator. the new Champion 3100w has noise levels about the same as the Honda/Yamaha inverter generators. it's the open-framed non-inverter generators that have decibel ratings of 68db or louder, that are not appropriate for campgrounds. they're fine if you boondock or camp at motor races though.
Since the noise scale is logarithmic about the same is a far cry from the same as it only takes a 3decibel difference to double the sound level that your ears hear.

I would suggest actually listening to any generator that you are thinking of to see if you can stand it in the application that you intend it for. Also be cautious about the exhaust as these units (all of then) put out about 30,000 ppm of carbon monoxide which will kill you in a few breaths, if not diluted by fresh air. There have been reports of people operating a generator close to their TT's and with the wrong wind condition, and an open window, being overcome by the CO.

IMO
Old 10-07-2013, 06:16 PM   #59

Garbonz said:There have been reports of people operating a generator close to their TT's and with the wrong wind condition, and an open window, being overcome by the CO.

Wow. I'm amazed this could happen. CO can kill you I know, but in the TT?
Wow.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:42 PM   #60
Denver, CO

Quote:
Garbonz said:There have been reports of people operating a generator close to their TT's and with the wrong wind condition, and an open window, being overcome by the CO. Wow. I'm amazed this could happen. CO can kill you I know, but in the TT? Wow.
I posted a link a month or so back on one such case, but is certainly is not common, something to be aware of tho