Old 06-25-2013, 02:51 PM   #1

Generator at Costco

So we are going camping without electric hookups this August. I had a lot of helpful replies to a previous thread.

Since that time, brother in law offered to lend us his generator...but it is big and loud.

While shopping at Costco, I saw a generator for I think $599. I took pictures of the generator and box but forgot to take a picture of the tag with the price. (2 other local Costco did not carry this generator)

This is the information from the pictures I took of the box and the generator itself:
Smarter Tools
SinePower Pro
2000 W/1600 W
AP2000i
Yamaha MZ80 Engine
51dB @ 1/4 load (400 watts)
44 lbs
Reliable power -true sine wave for sensitive electronics

Is this a good generator, good price, etc?
I defer to the experts on this forum and thank you in advance for any advice you can give me!

If we decide to purchase a generator, I will be full of questions on how to actually use it camping!!

mom28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:11 PM   #2
Site Team

I would think the first question you need to ask yourself, is what all do you plan to power from the generator?

You will need to size the generator according to what all electrical loads you may want to place upon it.

For basic understanding, a 30 amp RV that is using all it's 30 amps will equal 3600 watts.

Voltage X Amps = watts

120 volts X 30 amps = 3600 watts.

This link may help:

http://www.funroads.com/rv-repair/ge...oadmanagement/

Did you know, according to Google: Pepsi was once the 6th largest military in the world?
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:53 PM   #3
Site Team

it's a Chinese-made generator that uses a Yamaha engine.
it's a good basic inverter generator for the money and the 2000w should run everything except the a/c.
the only thing is that you can't parallel two of them.

for the same price, you can get a Champion 2000w one that you can parallel 2 of them if you decide to and they have great customer/warranty support.

the Smarter Tools one probably has very little warranty support except for Costco's great return policy.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 05:49 PM   #4

51 db is compared to a normal conversation, but you'd be surprised at how loud that really is. And, it's probably louder at full load. So, the load used in wmtire's example is 9 times greater than the generator's 1/4 rating.

I am not saying it's bad, I would say it's on par with others out in the market...I just wouldn't expect this one to be signigicantly quieter than your buddy's unless his is rated at 70db @ 1/4 load.

I have a Champion, got it cheap. I believe it's rated at 65db full load and I think it's too loud. I have to place it on street side of trailer hoping it doesn't irritate neighbors and only run it for short periods of time. Hard to use an AC with that kind of use, so I wouldn't worry too much about spending more $ for more watts.

I think you have to shell out the dough for a quieter onboard gen set, if sound level is your main concern.

I would like to hear some more experienced RVers opinions as I am still a newb.

Onavfr800
2013 Flagstaff 8526TBWS
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
onavfr800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 05:53 PM   #5

You're also going to have to watch the wiring configuration on the output. Many of the generators I saw when looking were wired for 120/240V jobsite spiders and not RV plugs.

Onavfr800
2013 Flagstaff 8526TBWS
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
onavfr800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by onavfr800 View Post
51 db is compared to a normal conversation, but you'd be surprised at how loud that really is. And, it's probably louder at full load. So, the load used in wmtire's example is 9 times greater than the generator's 1/4 rating.

I am not saying it's bad, I would say it's on par with others out in the market...I just wouldn't expect this one to be signigicantly quieter than your buddy's unless his is rated at 70db @ 1/4 load.

I have a Champion, got it cheap. I believe it's rated at 65db full load and I think it's too loud. I have to place it on street side of trailer hoping it doesn't irritate neighbors and only run it for short periods of time. Hard to use an AC with that kind of use, so I wouldn't worry too much about spending more $ for more watts.

I think you have to shell out the dough for a quieter onboard gen set, if sound level is your main concern.

I would like to hear some more experienced RVers opinions as I am still a newb.
What Champion model generator do you have? I have a Honda 1000 but I was thinking of getting this Champion generator for when I need AC: http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...enerator/70829

2013 Forest River Wildcat Maxx 26BHS
2011 Infinity QX56
maverick_415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:39 PM   #7
Site Team

the Champion 3100w has just hit the market and they're having problems keeping up with demand.

i've been saying that this generator will be a game changer and Honda and Yamaha better look out.
i just saw on another RV forum, that Honda reps are going around meeting with owners of Champion, Generac and Yamaha to get input on these generators.
maybe Honda is finally realizing that they need to really look at what people are looking for.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:26 PM   #8

bikendan what kind of price are they talking for the 3100w? because i assume when you said what people are looking for is a reasonably quiet reasonably affordable generator that will run their ac
lbrunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by onavfr800 View Post
You're also going to have to watch the wiring configuration on the output. Many of the generators I saw when looking were wired for 120/240V jobsite spiders and not RV plugs.
The Honda's don't even have RV plugs. You have to buy a 30 amp gen male to 30 amp RV female adaptor. It seems like a lot of generators are this way.

2013 Forest River Wildcat Maxx 26BHS
2011 Infinity QX56
maverick_415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:52 AM   #10
Incheon, S. Korea

The Honda EU3000iS is pricy, but it lasts a lot longer than the Champion 3100. It is also 1 decibel quieter per the specs.
As a popup owner without A/C or a microwave or any other major electrical appliances (we normally dry camp without electricity), a 3,000 watt generator seems overkill. Any experience or recommendations?

BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote