Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2017, 10:45 PM   #1

Generator for Infrequent Trips - Rockwood Mini Lite 2509S (13,500 BTU AC)

Hello!

We recently purchased our first travel trailer. It's a Rockwood Mini Lite 2509S (13,500 BTU AC).

We plan to go on approximately 3-4 trips per year where we will not have access to electric hookups.

Those trips will be 2-3 nights long each.

What is your best recommendation for a generator for us? I hate to purchase something super expensive and unnecessary for very infrequent trips where we won't have hookups. However, I don't want to regret a purchase either

Thanks for your recommendations,

Erica
ebell619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 11:08 PM   #2

For me, personally, the Honda is the only way to go. But that's me. In your situation, you need to look at the Champion generators with the invertor. If you haven't yet, you'll be mildly surprised with the prices. Should meet your needs!
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 11:16 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebell619 View Post
Hello!

We recently purchased our first travel trailer. It's a Rockwood Mini Lite 2509S (13,500 BTU AC).

We plan to go on approximately 3-4 trips per year where we will not have access to electric hookups.

What is your best recommendation for a generator for us? I hate to purchase something super expensive and unnecessary for very infrequent trips where we won't have hookups. However, I don't want to regret a purchase either

Erica
If you plan on using it in a campground, then you need an INVERTER generator. But they cost more than the noisy open frame generators. To dependably run the a/c, 3000w or more would be needed. That'll start around $700 and up.

If you aren't going to use it in a campground, then a cheap open frame generator will work. The Champion 3500/4000w one is very popular and cost around $300. But be aware that it'll be noisy and it'll weigh 100lbs.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 11:57 PM   #4

Do not waste your money buying a cheap generator. Go with Honda inverter eu3000is or two eu2000is. I have a 3000 but it's heavy. I can't lift it by myself to put it in the back of my truck. With the 2000, you can by two and these are lighter.
Good luck!
Hman0109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 01:54 PM   #5

Best one I found and works perfectly is the Briggs 3000 watt generator. It has no problem running anything in the trailer and is still quite quiet and I can still move it around by myself thanks to the two handle top design and the telescopic front handle. It's also very reasonably priced.
japacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 01:59 PM   #6

Of course everyone has their favorites and for their reasons. I'll just toss in what I learned from going thru the same. Looked at them all and of course Honda is a Honda... Best you can get but with a price to go along with it. I settled on two smaller champion INVERTER generators with the parallel kit. Has a standard RV Hookup and with both running more than enough power to run everything in the trailer. Best yet each one is small and lightweight and easy to pick up and put in the truck. When running you can stand next to them and have a normal conversation. In fact the AC unit that they are running is usually more noisey than the generators. As with all inverter generators they only run as fast as needed to power the load.. So when the AC cycles off the generators are just about at an idle. Cost wise for me, it was cheaper for the two lighter units than one big Honda. So far not one problem at all.
PupScrappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 02:23 PM   #7

generator

I have a Honda 3000. Like said earlier, it is very heavy, but very quiet. Stayed in an overflow lot at a campground one fourth of July. No hook ups and my refrigerator for some reason wouldn't run on propane. Generator was so quiet they let me run it all night. It is very efficient on gasoline. Will run refrigerator and air conditioner easily all night on one fill. It is expensive for use only 3 or 4 trips a year. I guess for that I would look into a 2000 watt unit. The ones enclosed in cases are very quiet and less than $1000. Look in your dealers parts area. They probably have a nice one on display.
dmlranhc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 02:41 PM   #8

I have a 2012 rockwood signature ultralight 8288ws with a 15k ac unit. My champion 3100 inverter runs it just fine.
jtesta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 07:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
If you plan on using it in a campground, then you need an INVERTER generator. But they cost more than the noisy open frame generators. To dependably run the a/c, 3000w or more would be needed. That'll start around $700 and up.
You don't necessarily need a 3k genny to run AC. Review this thread for info: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...0i-102347.html

You won't be able to run the AC and Microwave or hair dryer at the same time though.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 07:59 PM   #10

Generator

Look for Ryobi 2000, work for the pass 2 years for me and cost nothing compare to Honda or Yamaha, Big name = big buk.
Jonol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 10:56 PM   #11

generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebell619 View Post
Hello!

Erica
Just buy one at costco. If you don't like it take it back.
hbdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 11:02 PM   #12

For three to four trips a year you might try a rental yard for an inverter generator or borrow from a friend.

2017 Flagstaff 8529 IKBS Classic Platinum Edition
Beauty and Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 11:16 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty and Beast View Post
For three to four trips a year you might try a rental yard for an inverter generator or borrow from a friend.
Might be a good idea, I found out the hard way that you either need to use Trufuel Ethanol Free Fuel or run all the gas out. In a couple of months of non-use the gas gummed up the carburator in our Honda. Now I run it empty but the Honda shop told me I could use the Trufuel Ethanol Free Fuel and it would store for a long time with out gumming stuff up.

MISSION COMPLETED!
gectisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 12:16 AM   #14

Ryobi inverter generator winterisation

Empty the gas tank and open the engine cover and loose one turn the screew under the carburator and the carburator flote empty it self.
It take 5 minutes.
That`s it, no gum in the carburator!!
Old 02-27-2017, 09:41 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonol View Post
Empty the gas tank and open the engine cover and loose one turn the screew under the carburator and the carburator flote empty it self.
It take 5 minutes.
That`s it, no gum in the carburator!!
How do you empty the gas tank on a Honda 2000i? I was thinking that but the only way I could figure out to empty the tank was to take a bunch of the covers off and disconnect the fuel line. I could not see a good place to get to the fuel line through the access panel. I guess I could cut the fuel line and and a tee with a valve, hmmm got me thinking now. Anyway is there an easy way to drain the tank? Thanks for the info.

MISSION COMPLETED!
gectisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 09:45 PM   #16
Who Dares, Wins

Thats about the way to do it, that I have found. I suck it out the best I can then run it until it dies then do the screw thing under the carb.

Before I converted my home backup generator to natural gas I burned gas in it. Left a hair in the tank and the ethanol ate right through the rubber hoses. Nasty stuff.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 09:57 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by gectisme View Post
How do you empty the gas tank on a Honda 2000i? I was thinking that but the only way I could figure out to empty the tank was to take a bunch of the covers off and disconnect the fuel line. I could not see a good place to get to the fuel line through the access panel. I guess I could cut the fuel line and and a tee with a valve, hmmm got me thinking now. Anyway is there an easy way to drain the tank? Thanks for the info.
My two eu2000is are 11 years old. I've never drained the fuel. I always use Sta-Bil fuel additive and use higher octane fuel. I also start them up about every two months if we haven't used them. No need to drain the fuel.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 10:23 PM   #18

Generator threads are always entertaining.

My favorite posts are always how the Honda's are so much better than all the others.

I find that humorous at best.

Carry on, I have my popcorn in the microwave (that is running on my Champion Inverter.)
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 10:27 PM   #19
Who Dares, Wins

Yes they are... But my Honda can still beat up your Bolly...

The only thing out there when I bought my Honda 11 years ago was either Honda or Yamaha.. Honda service was 4 miles away, Yamaha 150 miles away...

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 10:29 PM   #20

fuel pump

Look at this pump to empty your gas tank! for a few buck.

https://www.amazon.ca/EFORCAR-Siphon...el+manual+pump

Tags
3500, 500, generator, lite, rockwood, rockwood mini lite