Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2016, 08:30 AM   #1

Generator Operation of AC - positive

I was looking for a inexpensive quiet generator that would run the 13500 AC in my new Roo. Harbor Freight was selling their 2200/2500 watt unit for less than $400 and some of the posts indicated that it would work. I bought one for $369 (currently on sale for $349) and after 8 hours of break in plugged it in with everything in the trailer off and the frig on propane. Set the thermostat on hot so the compressor would be off and started the AC. Once the fan was up to speed cranked the thermostat down and held my breath. I had previously placed a clamp on ammeter across the hot wire at the input so I knew that the running AC was within the capacity but wasn't sure if it would start it. It started and ran fine. Need to finish the break in on the generator before I leave it on for extended periods but for that hot day without hookups it looks like a winner.
DocRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 08:51 AM   #2

I hope that continues to work. With that size of generator and an AC on not much more could be operated. Keep in mind that the hotter it gets outside the higher the head pressure on the AC and the more amps you will draw so keep an eye to the generator and the AC
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 11:52 AM   #3

AC operation

Your right the amperage draw does go up, but the spec. on the unit give the desert amperage at about 16 amps so that was still within the capacity. Your also right in that I wouldn't run anything else with it. If the batteries were low I'd bring them up or turn off the converter before using the AC. My goal was to see if I could use the unit on those hot sticky summer days when even breathing is a effort. Getting an afternoon nap can make the rest of the day bearable. I spent a week at Assateague a few years back and it was a bear in mid afternoon.
Old 08-31-2016, 08:54 AM   #4

I'm glad to hear that it worked for you. There are lots of questions about this generator on the interweb.

Can you share your personal experience with its noise level. Some are put off by the HF spec of 64 dB but from what I read that is not accurate and it is much quieter.

I think you have everything figured out. Even on my 3000 watt Boliy, I cannot run a/c if my batteries were low or if I forgot to turn off the 120VAC switch to the hot water heater.

On a side note, it is refreshing to hear you talk about engine break in. Lots of folks get frustrated and don't realize how important it is and that a generator won't provide max power until its rings are fully seated.

My Boliy has a Nikasil lined cylinder and it took forever for it to break in. It took two camping trips running the generator 6-8 hours a day before it would powerup the airconditioner. Back then, my converter was 25 feet away from the batteries and the voltage loss over the 10 gauge wire at that length made recharging the batteries a very lengthy event.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 09:03 AM   #5
Site Team

The real test will be when the AC tries to restart after a short period of being off. The initial start on the compressor is always the easiest one. After that there is usually some head that it has to overcome unless it has been off for quite some time.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 12:42 PM   #6

AC operation

As far as restart - I doubt that I will use the AC unless the temp is unbearable and in this case I'll have the thermostat cranked around so it won't be cycling, so restart won't be an issue.
Noise question - louder than a Honda but less than 1/2 the cost. Plan on making a short plywood and soundboard tunnel to cover the unit. Other threads mention intake modification that I intend to do, but haven't done yet.

Tags
generator