Old 06-10-2015, 10:31 AM   #31
If you are looking to charge a battery with 1 or 2 honda generators. Why not one and a decent battery charger. Lot less $ invested. BTW the Honda 3000i Handi is an awesome generator. It will run a 13.5K Btu AC unit. I have a transfer switch in my home breaker box and when the power is out, it has been worth every dime I paid for it, and it doesn't use a lot of fuel.

jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 10:29 PM   #32
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Just plain wrong. From Trojan: Battery Maintenance | Trojan Battery Company
  1. Shallow discharges will result in a longer battery life.
  2. 50% (or less) discharges are recommended.
  3. 80% discharge is the maximum safe discharge.
  4. Do not fully discharge flooded batteries (80% or more). This will damage (or kill) the battery.
Your anecdotal evidence is not supported by any battery manufacturer and the attached depth of discharge curve for T-105 deep cycle 6V Trojans proves the point.The Honda has an 8 amp output at 12V. It is not designed as a battery charger and will not act like a modern 3 stage charger...further increasing the liklihood of battery homicide. An 8 amp charger even if configured as a modern 3-4 stage unit would take about 6 hours just to get to 80% charged on a single Group31 battery. Add another few hours to 100%.
As you suggest...the BEST way to use a generator to charge batteries is to use the 120V plug to power a REAL charger rated at at approximately 20-25% of the 20 hour capacity of the batteries (at 12V). Most 2 battery set ups today are best served by a 40-50amp charger. Roughly in the $150-200 range. Progressive or Iota models with smart charging are good values and well built.
Not trying to spread false information , just had personal experience to go by. If I read your chart right you can get about 500 cycles at 100% discharge, more the less you discharge. I don't consider that bad. 500 nights of boondocking is a lot.

The EU3000is is 12 amp which I was referring to. The 2000 might be 8 amps? Doesn't really matter, the best is to run the converter to charge with.

07 Dodge 1500 crew cab with 20" wheels, 08 Forest River Rockwood Signature Ultra-lite 8280SS
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
George Bernard Shaw
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 08:24 AM   #33
Yes the 3000is is 12A the 3000IH is 8.3 amps.

You will note that the difference between a 50% discharge and a 100% discharge is 700 cycles. Most people would rather not buy 2.2 batteries instead of 1 to get 1200 cycles.
NOT accusing you of anything but good intentions and being wrong on something that could cost a lot of folks here a lot of money! I've been wrong a time or two myself if my wife is to be believed!

Oh and for the group...please note that you will NOT get the same number of cycles from most other deep cycle batteries...these are TROJAN golf carts being measured... WHAT will hold true is the RELATIVE cycle life based on depth of discharge. These are also STATIC tests and life is SHORTER for batteries bumping down the road.
2015 Georgetown 280DS
2014 Vespa LX150 2014 StellaAuto 125
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 09:50 PM   #34
I have decided to go with 2, 2000 gens. Now deciding between Honda or Yamaha. Probably Yamaha as I'm a Yammi guy. Thanks for all the imput.

larryo is offline   Reply With Quote