Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2018, 01:13 PM   #1

How long to charge battery from generator

Nor-Easter has home without power, I’m looking to run refrigerator, heat, lights, and tv.

How long will the battery last?

How long will I need to run the generator to recharge?

2016 3011dsf motorhome

I have always camped in a campground.

Thanks
deanjp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 01:21 PM   #2
Who Dares, Wins

Is it a residential fridge or 2 way? The reason I ask is the propane/ 12v ones seem to run forever on a battery. The killer will be the furnace (the blower fan). I will only get one night out of my battery in our TT while running the furnace when its cold. I'll get a week or more with using the fridge.... Now that is a TT with a single battery, you might have more being a MH.

As far as charging on a geni, that will depend on the convertor. If it is a multi stage lets say it might happen pretty quick. If it is a dumb charger it might take hours. Newer convertors will often have a quick or bulk charge, get it close to charged then slowly top off... Then maintain.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 02:46 PM   #3

Everything is stock, it is the larger residential refrigerator
deanjp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 02:54 PM   #4

Your generator is designed to run continuous let it run all day and power things and use your battery for overnight just a thought in addition to what Doc73 said. Remember don't let the Motorhome fuel tank get down to 1/4 or your generator will not run.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 06:20 PM   #5

With a 3 stage converter that maintains bulk mode (14.4V) to 90%:

- recharging from 50% to 90% takes about 3 hours (probably 6 hours if your converter goes to 13.7V earlier)

- recharging from 90% to 100% takes at least another 3 hours.

what I have learned from battery manufacturer charts and experience
Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame with dual GC-2 batteries
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 03:29 PM   #6

I agree...6 hours from 50% to full... but would say 4 hours to 90%. For short term power outage I would let the battery go between 40 and 90% for a few days just being sure to recharge fully to 100% when the power comes back on. The genny can put our far more power than your batteries can take in...to just run the genny for the big stuff while you're awake and you'll have fully charged batts for the lesser overnight loads.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 04:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
I agree...6 hours from 50% to full... but would say 4 hours to 90%. For short term power outage I would let the battery go between 40 and 90% for a few days just being sure to recharge fully to 100% when the power comes back on. The genny can put our far more power than your batteries can take in...to just run the genny for the big stuff while you're awake and you'll have fully charged batts for the lesser overnight loads.
I agree with posts 5 and 6, except for the time to achieve 100% recharge. My experience is to achieve 100% charge takes the better part of 3 days. I have monitored this on my Trimetric management system. The finishing ampere flow slows down to as low as .01 Amp before completing. This is with a single group 27 deep cycle battery and a Progressive Dynamics converter/charger.

I had a similar experience with a previous 5er with two golf cart 6v batteries, the Trimetric, and slightly larger PD charger/converter. In both cases after boondocking and using the generator for 4/hours a day, we would arrive at a CG with full hookups. Then using CG power, it would take 3 days to complete the charge.
Old 03-09-2018, 04:31 PM   #8

When a battery is charged to the point where accepted current is less than 1% of amp hours rating it is considered fully charged. Example a 100 amp hour battery is fully charged when current falls below 1 amp. But you are correct that the meters will go way beyond that convention.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, generator