Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2018, 06:10 AM   #1
Global Nomad

How to tell when battery 50%

2 questions: When boon docking, can I leave my tow vehicle power cord connected to 5th wheel, or will this drain my tow vehicle battery?

and: On my Lippert monitor (the one I use to raise and lower jacks, and has battery voltage monitor) how low can the voltage go before I have to recharge with my generator? It now reads 12.2. When I recharged earlier, it read 13.0.

Thank you, in advance.
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS (Center Kitchen Three Slides)

Scheinin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 06:38 AM   #2

batteries are a subject of conjecture with many folks, as far as 'how low' they can go, safely... with most quoting the typical 'never below 50%!' rule...but once in a while is not going to damage them.
Your typical RV deep cycle 6v batteries can drop to 11.9 to 12, which is around the 50% rule, but mine regularly drop to 11.5 or so before my inverter cuts out(LBCO setting). My AGS usually kicks on at around 11.8 or so, if I have it enabled.

I would use the general rule that while you are 'using' the batteries, such as to raise/lower the levelers, that dropping to 11.5 is not doing any damage. Once you stop the leveling process, you'll see the numbers actually rise again, because now the system is reading them 'at rest', without a load.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:13 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scheinin View Post
2 questions: When boon docking, can I leave my tow vehicle power cord connected to 5th wheel, or will this drain my tow vehicle battery?

and: On my Lippert monitor (the one I use to raise and lower jacks, and has battery voltage monitor) how low can the voltage go before I have to recharge with my generator? It now reads 12.2. When I recharged earlier, it read 13.0.

Thank you, in advance.
Depends what TV you have Some/Most allow TV to be Connected and NO Batt Drain! You are at the Lower Voltage at 12.2,Lower Voltage is BAD for High Load items such as "Slides and Jacks"! Short answer is "Keep Your Batt Full Charge"! Youroo!!
Old 07-12-2018, 07:18 AM   #4

I never leave my truck hooked to the rig because my rig doesn't have an isolating device (one way flow) in the truck to rig charge line of the 7 pin connector that I know of. Here is a site that explains the 12V system and has a great battery charge chart. hope this helps
The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1)
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:46 AM   #5
Site Team

Some TV have a relay in the fuse panel ( along with the fuse) for the 12V aux line. The relay is only activated when the ignition is on. In others the 12V aux line is always active. You need to check the 12V aux pin on the Bargman connector on the TV when the ignition is off. If not sure disconnect.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bargman.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	179179  

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 03:27 PM   #6

Ballpark estimate of 50% level is when you do not use any 12 volt electrical loads for 30 minutes (i.e. battery at rest) and your voltage is 12.0 volts.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 05:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Depends what TV you have Some/Most allow TV to be Connected and NO Batt Drain! You are at the Lower Voltage at 12.2,Lower Voltage is BAD for High Load items such as "Slides and Jacks"! Short answer is "Keep Your Batt Full Charge"! Youroo!!
With my trailer I have no need to operate the slide or jack when the tow vehicle is unavailable. I back the Tow Vehicle in place then attach the umbilical, leaving the engine running. While the slide is being retracted and jack operated to facilitate setting up or hitching up, I have the battery power supplemented by power coming from the truck.

If one is worried about how to tell when a battery is truly ready to be charged, invest in a Batttery Monitor like the Victron BMV-7xx series.

There will be an easy to understand answer on the meter expressing "percent of charge" and "Time Remaining" along with voltage, current, etc. No more guessing off bad information from the OEM power panels.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:09 PM   #8
Bene Gesserit Rule

Quote:

Thank you, in advance.
I left my rig hooked up for an overnight and woke to find both house and vehicle batteries dead. This was in the early days of ownership and didn't realise how many devices still use the 12v power when everything appears turned-off.
Murbella7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:27 PM   #9

You CANNOT tell battery state of charge while using it! Period.
You CANNOT tell battery state of charge with voltage readings unless you FULLY charge overnight...disconnect negative post and WAIT 24 hours.(or put on a dummy load).
You need to recharge when your battery hits 50% AND you need to recharge fully to 100% or lose capacity.
You need a TRUE battery monitor ... not a voltmeter. A Victron or Trimetric
What will they tell you?
Battery state of charge. Battery Full. Amps being used NOW, Amps of Charging NOW, Time left at current use rate, Amp draw of individual items.
If you boondock //you need one. In the end it will pay for itself in saved battery life cycles AND saved gas in recharging from generator. And saved life from chronic undercharging...the quickest way to murder a battery.
Well worth the investment.
Don't bother if you ALWAYS plug in.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 08:33 AM   #10
Always Learning

As mentioned, the only real way to tell is with a proper battery monitor. I’m partial to the Victron BMV:
Victron Battery Monitor | Learn To RV
Old 07-13-2018, 11:21 AM   #11

To add to both camaraderie and ependydad's posts, not just the Victron Battery Monitor (or one that provides the same data) but if installing one be sure to add the temperature sensor so readings are compensated for battery temperature.

Batteries mounted in a compartment that stays pretty much at the same temperature as the trailer/coach will show pretty normal voltages for their state of charge. Batteries mounted outside on the tongue will show voltage readings that are skewed by temperature.

Here's a chart that will give you temperature corrected reading or just let the Victron do it. The Temp Sensor is a $25 add-on.

http://fixkick.com/Charging/SOC2.JPG

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 01:01 AM   #12

Ive always read A true deep cycle can safely go to 50%, dual purpose should only go to 70%.
Old 07-18-2018, 02:36 AM   #13
Global Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
Ive always read A true deep cycle can safely go to 50%, dual purpose should only go to 70%.
I am still not clear of what 50% of a deep cycle battery is. On a 12 volt battery is it a reading of 6 volts, or 11.9 volts? I am reading voltage on my lippert power panel.

Old 07-18-2018, 08:02 AM   #14

I have a 2014 240 SE travel travel trailer. I want to add extra batteries and a solar panel. I'm looking for ideas what other members have done.
FR240SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 08:06 AM   #15

Quote:
I am still not clear of what 50% of a deep cycle battery is. On a 12 volt battery is it a reading of 6 volts, or 11.9 volts? I am reading voltage on my lippert power panel.
Good link to Facts, rather than opinions:

https://www.trojanbattery.com/tech-s...y-maintenance/

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:56 AM   #16
Global Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepill View Post
Good link to Facts, rather than opinions:

https://www.trojanbattery.com/tech-s...y-maintenance/
Wow! It is hard to believe that a battery with only 10% charge left reads 11.5 volts.

Old 07-18-2018, 10:57 AM   #17

Keep in mind that different battery chemistries will have different specs. Trojan makes a true deep cycle battery. "RV/Marine" and "Starting" batteries use different designs.

Old 07-18-2018, 11:25 AM   #18
Scoundrel

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	battery-state-of-charge.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	180151  

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 01:00 PM   #19

Yea, that's the chart I use also. There are plenty of charts that show specific gravity vs volts if you want to break out your hydrometer which is going to be very accurate.

I usually try to maintain my charge above those critical levels that begin to effect the health of the battery.
Old 07-18-2018, 01:22 PM   #20

Just remember that those battery voltage charts are only valid for "open circuit at rest batteries"
If you've charged or used your batteries in the last 24 hours the reading you get will be inaccurate... and you also need to temperature compensate.

This means it is impractical to measure batteries state of charge through voltage while you are using your coach. You need a battery monitor with shunt...like the Victron or Trimetric to get a true state of chare AND to let you know when you are 50% discharged and 100% full.
Guessing at your state of charge and when you've recharged enough kills batteries early.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery