Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2012, 11:34 AM   #21
Always Learning

People... we (almost all) have completely lost the OP's original request:

Given that they want Internet via (insert device here) - how can (s)he do it? Do the signal boosters help? etc.

Personally, I can't help but have wondered the same thing because I telework while we're on the road full time most of the time. Does anyone have experience with the signal boosters?

I know my step-father bought one for his boat. The cell phone registered bars, but it was still unusable a majority of the time.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:27 PM   #22
carl.net

I have been fighting the lack of phone/cell/Internet access issues in certain remote areas for the last 15 years. Essentially I use a combination of a Cell repeater with a directional antenna and satellite based internet access. Neither is great but it does get the job done.
Tekonsha P3 break controller
- 36 ft Monterey cabin cruiser, Stainless blender
Two 4.7 GXi I/O (2 x 320hp = 640hp)
carl.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:43 PM   #23

cell phone booster

I use the Sleek cell phone booster Cradle Boosters | Store | Wilson Electronics to boost my phone and internet service with Verizon. I have an older Palm Pre Plus, so I use the 3G model. This booster works in many fringe areas. I have proven it's effectiveness many times. It won't work if there is no signal, but it will definitely amplify a weak signal. Check for a better price on Amazon, BestBuy, etc.
Being able to hook up to internet and cell service while I am traveling gives me a much longer leash, rather than tying me down. I have an elderly mom who might need me, and sometimes I am out there without my wife. I am much more comfortable when I know I can be in contact.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:53 PM   #24

Droid App "Tether" is awesome if you have unlimited internet on your phone.

Download the app to your phone the the app to your computer; one time fee of $4.95 and you'll never pay again....

I've used this anytime we camp in a place that doesn't have internet.... almost all the places where we've camped have had access to phone service.....
dfskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:48 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerreknit
I use the Sleek cell phone booster Cradle Boosters | Store | Wilson Electronics to boost my phone and internet service with Verizon. I have an older Palm Pre Plus, so I use the 3G model. This booster works in many fringe areas. I have proven it's effectiveness many times. It won't work if there is no signal, but it will definitely amplify a weak signal. Check for a better price on Amazon, BestBuy, etc.
Being able to hook up to internet and cell service while I am traveling gives me a much longer leash, rather than tying me down. I have an elderly mom who might need me, and sometimes I am out there without my wife. I am much more comfortable when I know I can be in contact.
I have the Wilson cell booster and it does allow phone calls (3 bars) where I previously had none. Now data is a different story. It's usually at "e" and works like a first gen dial up modem-SLOW.

So phone service for emergencies (have had to call paramedics for other campers before) but that's about it.

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 06:34 PM   #26

To those of you with the Wilson Sleek, did you run the antenna to the outside of the RV to get better reception? I am looking to do just this and am wondering about the best way to burrow through the exterior of our Sunseeker 2860DS.

Here is my post asking for advice: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ion-42308.html

Thank you!
wplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:49 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDobbs View Post
We're just starting our travel trailer adventures this year and are trying diferent places in western Colorado and eastern Utah to see what we like. Been in both well developed campgrounds and some pretty much less developed out in the boonies campgrounds.

Unfortunately, both my wife and I, for various reasons, like to have access to the Internet. We rely mostly on mobile broadband via a Verizon MiFi mobile hot spot - works pretty well, better than I expected - except in some of the places we've found we like to camp.

What are other folks experiences and work-arounds for this? Do mobile signal boosters really seem to work? Is anyone using mobile satellite Internet service?

Thanks for your help,
John

HI!

I use a cellular booster in a spot up in northern Ontario which is in a rock bowl and gets no bars. I looked at the vendor site and it looks like they got bought out by Uniden. I got the one that covers 2000 square feet and purchased an external donor antenna.

I went from no bars to full bars and connection with 3G over cellular. I haven't quite figured out how to mount the external antenna so temporarily its screwed to an old poly cutting board which just sits on the roof. It doesn't move in the wind so all is good for now. Wilson makes some boosters but for sure you need an external antenna for fringe spots.

2004 Ford F550 6l Lariat SuperCrew, Fontaine Bed,
Link Systems Air Ride
2011 Sterling 32RL with Michelin XPS tires
extremebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 10:16 PM   #28
Swift2

We have the Wilson amplifier and it works really well. I've seen no bars without it go to four bars with it so were really pleased with that one. I use a long fiberglass pole use for trimming trees take the saw off and put my antenna on that. Then I use broom clips like I would use in the closet and hang the broom to mount the antenna on the outside of the trailer. The higher the antenna the better.
Swift 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 05:21 AM   #29

Internet Access in the Boondocks

I have a Wilson, it does help, but don't expect miracles. It's better for phone than data. I can use it to check email, etc., but it is usually not a very robust internet experience. Your mileage may vary depending on the signal you're working with. I use mine at home, but will likely get one for the trailer, too.
2016 - 47 nights
2017 - 47 nights
LandJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 07:01 AM   #30

I use the Verizon hot spot 4g will allow 5 wirerless units to hook-up I traveled from Virginia to Calif. Never ever lost a signal but it drop to 3 bars in area's which made it slower, It's called a jet pack. I even use it where there is internet access being it's secure and little harder for hackers. CG are dangerous.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 08:00 AM   #31

If you have a mobile Hotspot and money is of bot much of an issue. Look up Cradlepoint. They make a device that you can plug your card into and it has better antennas to get better signal. It works very well on my boat.
cstover is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mobile internet