Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2008, 09:01 PM   #1
Cyber Phrenologist

Manual Coffee Grinders - Suggestions?

We're looking to boondock, or come very close to it. My stainless steel stovetop perculator arrived this week, which means our coffee making now requires no electricity, or even a stove if one is industrious enough to build a morning fire (not me)

Sweet Wife however, has taken a fancy to grinding her own beans. Now I need a manual coffee grinder. I had no idea such a simple thing could be so expensive! I did find these:

http://www.jlhufford.com/ProductDeta...uctCode=hd1004

It's a Manual Coffee Grinder that sits on a jar that is small enough to be portable and cheap enough at $50 I might get one.

Any experience grinding coffee in the backwoods?
Anybody have a grinder like this one?

Radio

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 11:09 PM   #2
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
Radio...I'm your 'go-to' guy for all things coffee!
You can join me over at http://www.singleservecoffee.com where I also Moderate.

Anyway, I use a hand crank grinder at home. I go for the original, Zassenhaus grinder. (German) It puts out a pretty consistant grind...and it's variable to your liking.

Sometimes, these are hard to obtain...simply because collectors are snapping them up. I paid around $100 on eBay, but I bought when stockpiles were low.
They seem to have them in stock at http://www.sweetmarias.com again. (where I got the below said supplies)

It's "Old School", and grinds very nicely. I haven't seen the ones like you have in your photo, but they look interesting.

Personally, I'd talk you out of that percolator. Boiling coffee over-extracts it and it becomes bitter. Percolators are pretty famous for that. For really good camping coffee, I'd simply use that perc to boil up some water, and get a nice Bodum French Press for about $20. Put the fresh ground coffee into the press, add hot water, steep a couple minutes and plunge. Don't get much better than that!

http://www.sweetmarias.com/brewinstr.frenchpress.html
PS...I just got a new Home Roasting machine...and am roasting my own coffee. YOWWWWWWWWZAH!

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 07:31 AM   #3
Cyber Phrenologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDJollyMon View Post
Personally, I'd talk you out of that percolator.
Thanks, that was the singularly most helpful response to all my inquiries on several forums. I guess that's what I get for posting "on the dark side"

Ditch the perk? Oh, no...

1. There's no denying the ability of the sound and aroma of a percolator chugging away to wake up reluctant spouses in the morning...which ever one of us that might be.

2. I have a fear of getting too comfortable "out there"...and then never coming back. Some people do that, you know. So I gotta be "roughing it" just a little bit.

Old 02-16-2008, 10:55 PM   #4
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
I always loved my perc...until I started drinking really good coffee. Now I've ruined the whole 'perc' experience completely. I even tried using good coffee in the perc...but it's still over-extracted and bitter. I suppose a person adding milk, cream, or sweetner wouldn't notice quite so much.

The perc still has a place in our RV. I look at it as a challenge to make a better pot of coffee in it. Most times, I just drop a K-cup in my single serve Keurig machine or use a fresh grind.

Then again, I spent a couple hours today roasting some Panama Boquete Organic Los Lajones, and Ethiopian Organic Limu (Indonesian Process) to a Full City Roast.

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 07:55 PM   #5
This is MY title!

We did the french press thing for a while.

But honestly, it's too much bother to clean, and I do prefer percolator coffee in the woods. Nostalgia, maybe.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:40 PM   #6

Love to use the percolator when camping. One tip, use a paper filter in the bin for the grounds. I find this makes for a crisper, cleaner cup of coffee. The discs that just sit in the bottom of the bin just don't cut it.

Why is everything better when you're camping??
OldCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 06:57 AM   #7

i vote for the french press. always great tasting coffee. i look forward going to the woods for a great cup o coffee! Target has several models and they are inexpensive.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:16 AM   #8
Cyber Phrenologist

Spammers, Spam and eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCamper View Post
Love to use the percolator when camping. One tip, use a paper filter in the bin for the grounds. I find this makes for a crisper, cleaner cup of coffee. The discs that just sit in the bottom of the bin just don't cut it.

Why is everything better when you're camping??
A spammer came along and dug up this old thread! Great!

I did find some paper filters at one of those mega-super-markets and they do make a better cup of coffee in the percolator. Yeah, percolator is the way to go when out in the woods. Ever see a cowboy movie with a french press sitting by the fire?

Not.

I make "Spam and eggs" when out in the trailer, but not at home. Must be that tastes better outdoors thing.

In a "Stir fry" skillet, place a large pat of real butter, small chunks of Spam, chopped onions and mushrooms. Stir around in there until onions are cooked. Add eggs and scramble until done.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:06 PM   #9

I agree, the French Press makes some of the the best coffee (used to work for a large company that manufactures coffee). I just don't think it's quite as practical since it's made of glass that can break easily in a camper. Only makes 4 cups and you have to drink it right away since it won't keep it hot. Great for special occasions at home...

For the camper, we use a Rival 12-cup coffeemaker that costs only $8.97 at Walmart. The entire unit costs less than replacing just the glass pot!

FreedomTracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:40 PM   #10
Mod free 5er

When camping, you are supposed to make 'Old Joe', fill up a pot with water, when it boils, throw in the coffee and when the grounds fall to the bottom, pour and have a cup. That's how the cowboys did it.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:32 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
When camping, you are supposed to make 'Old Joe', fill up a pot with water, when it boils, throw in the coffee and when the grounds fall to the bottom, pour and have a cup. That's how the cowboys did it.
Yep.
2001 F-350 Powerstroke
1995 F-350 7.5L 460
Numerous Ford and New Holland Tractors up to 135hp. Bobcat 773.
cre10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:32 PM   #12

I love how an almost four year old thread about COFFEE, got started back up! I agree with using a press, but use a keurig when hooked up to power.
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:36 PM   #13

This is what we use.
Coleman Canada
Old 05-08-2012, 12:02 AM   #14

I roast my own at home, grind the beans just before brewing, and brew with very hot water (205 F. or so). A small inverter powers a simple blade grinder. Boil water any old way and use either a French Press or a Melita pot & filters. Better than Starbucks, IMO. Heavenly!

2015 Flagstaff 8528RKWS fiver
2013 Ram 2500 CTD Laramie CC SB 4WD Auto
cbconway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:24 PM   #15

I have used the Bodum Columbia french press that does not break, for several years. It helps keep the coffee warm and will keep it warmer if you put preheat it with hot water. Pour it out and put in the fresh coffee grounds and hot water. Wait four minutes and then press. It comes in three sizes. I put a towel over the top to help keep it warm. It's only flaw IMO is the top is not insulated. Below is a link-
BODUM COLUMBIA | Coffee maker, double wall, 12 cup, 1.5 l, 51 oz, s/s Shiny | Bodum Online Shop
Kenneth
kensue49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:52 PM   #16
jdadoug

To Percolator or not

I bought a good old Pyrex percolator and use these new paper filters that fold over the stem and then use regular ole Folgers automatic drip coffee. I know thats old school coffee, but I'm pretty easy to please. jdadoug