Old 09-10-2018, 09:01 PM   #1

Muffler for generator?

We have a DuroMax XP4850EH Generator: 4,000 peak/3,500 constant. It runs at (db): 69 and is loud enough that we have a difficult time conversing with one another inside the trailer and I donít want to be the inconsiderate neighbor running it throughout the day when camping should be more peaceful. I may end up just sucking up the cost of a couple Honda EU2200iís run at 48-57db and pair them up, but they are a little pricey. Our last trip the guy next to us had the Hondas and I didnít even hear them.
I donít want to lose the investment in the current generator without investigating if I can purchase an aftermarket muffler of some type. Has anyone used an after market muffler for their generator? If so, any recommendations or suggestions would be appreciated.

WildwoodWestern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 09:07 PM   #2
Site Team

Not going to work because it not just the muffler but mainly the motor noise.
Can't make a silk purse, out of a sow's ear.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 09:52 PM   #3

Thank you.
Old 09-10-2018, 11:40 PM   #4

I bought 1 champion inverter for less than 1 Honda. Lots of options out there but hondas are one of the best noise and quality. Make sure you get an inverter generator of some kind that you could use in a campground.

I have put rigid styrofoam insulation on 4 sides of my contractor generator (sides, air intake, and top with breathing room and open end om exhaust) after a hurricane. It was driving me nuts but we needed the power for the fridge and freezer as well as a few fans and lights. Could not do this in most campgrounds but maybe other areas.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 11:06 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbledan View Post
I bought 1 champion inverter for less than 1 Honda. Lots of options out there but hondas are one of the best noise and quality. Make sure you get an inverter generator of some kind that you could use in a campground.

I have put rigid styrofoam insulation on 4 sides of my contractor generator (sides, air intake, and top with breathing room and open end om exhaust) after a hurricane. It was driving me nuts but we needed the power for the fridge and freezer as well as a few fans and lights. Could not do this in most campgrounds but maybe other areas.
Much appreciated dbledan.
Old 10-08-2018, 01:37 PM   #6

I would try acoustic tiles. They can be purchased inexpensively from a Home Depot or equivalent
H20loo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 01:42 PM   #7
Trailer Park Supervisor

Two 2000W Champion inverter generators, on sale for 350 bucks each. Parallel connector 35 bucks. You will never adequately quiet that big open frame generator.
Old 10-08-2018, 01:44 PM   #8
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
I don’t want to be the inconsiderate neighbor running it throughout the day when camping should be more peaceful.
Big thumbs up for being a good guy!
Old 10-08-2018, 06:31 PM   #9

Thanks for trying hard to not be “that guy”.....
If you do choose to insulate the generator, make sure that it will still be able to breath.
You can buy compact and inexpensive bilge blowers that run on 12v to bring outside air int the cabinetry...
Thor Vegas 25.5
Randyís Rod Shop & Fabrication
Big-Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 09:51 PM   #10

On my Wen 3100W inverter generator I placed a lawn mover muffler on it's tiny exhaust tube, after adding dirt bike glass pack inside. It's held in place with a hose clamp. That helped quiet it down a bit. I leave the generator in my truck bed and it helps keep the new protrusion from burning any body parts. I'm not big on using the geny only when the high wattage items are used mostly in the morning. Otherwise we run of the solar, which is great is great set it and leave it!

allears is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator