Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2018, 09:01 PM   #1

Muffler for generator?

We have a DuroMax XP4850EH Generator: 4,000 peak/3,500 constant. It runs at (db): 69 and is loud enough that we have a difficult time conversing with one another inside the trailer and I don’t want to be the inconsiderate neighbor running it throughout the day when camping should be more peaceful. I may end up just sucking up the cost of a couple Honda EU2200i’s run at 48-57db and pair them up, but they are a little pricey. Our last trip the guy next to us had the Hondas and I didn’t even hear them.
I don’t want to lose the investment in the current generator without investigating if I can purchase an aftermarket muffler of some type. Has anyone used an after market muffler for their generator? If so, any recommendations or suggestions would be appreciated.
WildwoodWestern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 09:07 PM   #2
Site Team

Not going to work because it not just the muffler but mainly the motor noise.
Can't make a silk purse, out of a sow's ear.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 09:52 PM   #3

Thank you.
Old 09-10-2018, 11:40 PM   #4

I bought 1 champion inverter for less than 1 Honda. Lots of options out there but hondas are one of the best noise and quality. Make sure you get an inverter generator of some kind that you could use in a campground.

I have put rigid styrofoam insulation on 4 sides of my contractor generator (sides, air intake, and top with breathing room and open end om exhaust) after a hurricane. It was driving me nuts but we needed the power for the fridge and freezer as well as a few fans and lights. Could not do this in most campgrounds but maybe other areas.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 11:06 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbledan View Post
I bought 1 champion inverter for less than 1 Honda. Lots of options out there but hondas are one of the best noise and quality. Make sure you get an inverter generator of some kind that you could use in a campground.

I have put rigid styrofoam insulation on 4 sides of my contractor generator (sides, air intake, and top with breathing room and open end om exhaust) after a hurricane. It was driving me nuts but we needed the power for the fridge and freezer as well as a few fans and lights. Could not do this in most campgrounds but maybe other areas.
Much appreciated dbledan.
Old 10-08-2018, 01:37 PM   #6

I would try acoustic tiles. They can be purchased inexpensively from a Home Depot or equivalent
H20loo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 01:42 PM   #7
Trailer Park Supervisor

Two 2000W Champion inverter generators, on sale for 350 bucks each. Parallel connector 35 bucks. You will never adequately quiet that big open frame generator.
NJKris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 01:44 PM   #8
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
I don’t want to be the inconsiderate neighbor running it throughout the day when camping should be more peaceful.
Big thumbs up for being a good guy!
NJKris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 06:31 PM   #9

Thanks for trying hard to not be “that guy”.....
If you do choose to insulate the generator, make sure that it will still be able to breath.
You can buy compact and inexpensive bilge blowers that run on 12v to bring outside air int the cabinetry...
Thor Vegas 25.5
Randy’s Rod Shop & Fabrication
Big-Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 09:51 PM   #10

On my Wen 3100W inverter generator I placed a lawn mover muffler on it's tiny exhaust tube, after adding dirt bike glass pack inside. It's held in place with a hose clamp. That helped quiet it down a bit. I leave the generator in my truck bed and it helps keep the new protrusion from burning any body parts. I'm not big on using the geny only when the high wattage items are used mostly in the morning. Otherwise we run of the solar, which is great is great set it and leave it!
allears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 11:25 PM   #11

Check out the Predator at Harbor Freight. $678 and will run a 30 amp camper with A/C and IMO it's every bit as quiet as a Honda. Don't know that it will last as long but I figured it was worth a try since it's about a third of the price.

Old 01-04-2019, 11:37 PM   #12
cellarsurfer

Generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Not going to work because it not just the muffler but mainly the motor noise.
Can't make a silk purse, out of a sow's ear.
cellarsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 01:09 AM   #13

Most of the quietness from inverter generators are due to the enclosure. I have a Coleman open frame for the house, I tried running the exhaust through some flexible pipe and a generic car muffler and was disappointed with the results. As already noted, much of the noise comes from the engine mechanicals, i.e. the valve train, fans, even the intake.
For my RV I got the popular Champion 3100 and couldn't be happier. Far more campground friendly, light enough for me to lift into my truck, easy on the gas and will run my 15000 BTU A/C (with hardstart capacitor) on econo-mode. Another benefit? They put out much cleaner, well-regulated power, your sensitive electronics will appreciate that.
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 06:12 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildwoodWestern View Post
. I may end up just sucking up the cost of a couple Honda EU2200i’s run at 48-57db and pair them up, but they are a little pricey. Our last trip the guy next to us had the Hondas and I didn’t even hear them.
A little pricey, yeah. But do that, and you've got the best. And the quietest, and you're done. Forever. (Pretty much so anyway)
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 07:04 PM   #15

I have two Honda 2000's and really am amazed that people think they are so quiet. When running them in parallel on a hot day to run the AC they really put up quite a racket. We often camp with our children that both own RV's with built in 5500 Onan generators. You can barely hear them. I wish that I had spent the extra money.
rocco52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 04:27 PM   #16

I have two Honda’s that I have had for more than ten years, they run great and in that ten years I have had five campers. I would have lost a lot a lot of money on built in generators. I can use one or both
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 08:48 AM   #17
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocco52 View Post
I have two Honda 2000's and really am amazed that people think they are so quiet. When running them in parallel on a hot day to run the AC they really put up quite a racket. We often camp with our children that both own RV's with built in 5500 Onan generators. You can barely hear them. I wish that I had spent the extra money.
That's exactly how I feel. The first time I ran the 2000, I ended up posting here to see if mine was some kind of dud. I got the second one and both ran just as loud. I was always surprised how loud and annoying they were for supposedly being the gold standard for quietness.

LOVE my Onan 5500 built-in.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:56 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I have two Honda’s that I have had for more than ten years, they run great and in that ten years I have had five campers. I would have lost a lot a lot of money on built in generators. I can use one or both
I agree spock123. My two Hondas are 13 years old. Costs I have seen for built in is $4k to $6k per unit. So I would say, yep, we have saved a few bucks over our less than 2k original investment.

I will admit that the convenience of a built in would be fantastic. I just can't get my mind around justifying the cost for one unit. If my Hondas ever die, maybe I'll revisit the dilemma
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator