Old 08-14-2012, 06:48 AM   #11
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Seems an elegant solution. With the correct equipment and everyone's understanding of the risks involved (perhaps dangerous was an over reach) it can be done.

Simply plugging in your shore power cord into the inverter through an adapter has risks and that was what I was trying to present.
Aahhh... I read your "dangerous" as a fire or overload danger. When I re-read it, you were speaking of the danger of drawing down your battery too quickly or easily. I still need to install my second pair of 6v golf cart batteries, then I will have a true "system". Yes, I have 120v AC and 12v DC distributed wherever I need it, but with only a single pair of 6v batteries, I'm not taking anywhere near full advantage of the 300w of re-charging capacity that I have available.

Fire Instructor

2014 RAM 2500 Laramie 4x4 Quad Cab w/Cummins Turbo Diesel, 2009 Rockwood 2607, and 3 'yaks!
300W of Suntech Solar, a Rogue MPT-3024 Controller, and a Xantrex PW2000 Inverter
Fire Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:50 AM   #12
Originally Posted by Fire Instructor View Post
I don't have that problem, or the danger that you reference, Herk.

My 2000w inverter is powered from my battery bank, and supplies a single 120v exterior outlet, which I installed right next to the 30a, 120v input on the TT's drivers side. If I want to power-up my 120v outlets throughout the TT, I just have to switch the breaker for the 12v converter "off" in the factory power center (the converter is on it's own individual breaker), and make sure that the fridge is on "manual-propane". I then utilize a 2' long cord that I made-up and plug the trailer into itself!

By making the two switches, (converter off, and fridge on manual-propane) this keeps me from trying to charge that battery with the converter while draining it down with the inverter, and it keeps me from using 120v for the fridge, which would be a big electrical draw.

What it DOES for me is put 120v to all of my outlets, allows me to use small appliances and other 120v devices, including our microwave oven.
This was what I was thinking. I have a breaker that appears to be labeled for the converter/charger, but I need to test that it doesn't also carry any other loads. Since it's only me camping, I don't really have to worry about hairdryers and other such nonsense.

I bought a 1000w pure sine inverter, which is probably way overkill - I just want to power a tv and a couple small items. I also only have 2 Group 24 Deep Cycle Marine Batteries, so they certainly wouldn't last long drawing 1000w! I'm thinking to mount it in the outside compartment and then using either a drop cord for any outside uses, or to run a cord to the main 30A receptacle and have all outlets hot. I hate the idea of flipping a breaker on and off alot - too bad the converter/charger is not on a switch.

crasher is offline   Reply With Quote