Old 09-17-2012, 05:00 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nammy View Post
Can someone describe for me what "boondocking" actually means? My impression is that it refers to going backwoods where there are no resources except for what you bring with you. Who's property is being camped on? The logistics of this type of camping is fairly obvious... There is a song by Buddy Wasisname & the other fellers...

"It's the 24th of May & we likes to get away
Up in the woods or goin' out the bay
There's all kindsa places but the place we like to get
Is up behind the highway in the gravel pit"

Norm

'ere ya go Nammy b'y.

2015 Crossroads Zinger ZT28BH
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:01 PM   #22
Avo Farmer

While visiting my uncle Mike in the boondocks he fixed eggs and hasbrowns for breakfast, they were gerat... At lunch we had some fresh rabbit also great... But I noticed some egg left on the plate. I asked uncle Mike about the dirty plate and he responed "it's as clean as cold water can get." Not to concerned we went on with the day, at dinner there was still a bit of lunch remaining on the dishes, not wanting to cause any trouble I let the dirty dishes go. Uncle Mike said "the dishes are as clean as cold water can get".

Come morning I felt we needed some supplies and dish soap so I offered to go into town. On my way to the car Uncle Mike's, dog would not let me out the gate to ge to my car, I called to uncle Mike asking him to call his dog.

From on the porch uncle Mike hollared for his dog "Cold Water come here".

If I only had a dog to clean my dishes when boondocking.

MikeDett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:49 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by great white View Post
I'm just on my way to work, so this first post is going to be short.

I've got a 2011 831RLBSS Flagstaff Classic superlite.

It's just the way it was delivered from the factory.

We're in a place that has minimal setup even at the nicest parks.

electric and water at best. Dump station somewhere in the park.

we're looking to try boon docking.

We have access to a honda 2000 generator (loaner from work).

We're aware of the need to conserve water.

It's just me and the missus and three larger dogs.

Most we will do is a weekend to 3 or 4 days at a time. Basically, a long weekend at most.

Trailer seems pretty self contained as is with the gen added.

I'm looking for a priority list I guess. Like

1. generator.
2. Second deep cycle battery
3. LED lights
4. johnny bucket
5. solar panels
6 inverters
7. Etc. etc......

Sorry for the quick and dirty post. As I mentioned, I'm on my way out the door to work but we're headed out this weekend and I would like to get an idea of priorities before we go.

No doubt, this weekend will reveal a lot of what we need first and what can wait.....

Cheers
Great_White,

Any chance you're heading towards SW Colorado ? Our favorite Boon-
docking canyon might interest you & the Akitas / early October.

Coyote_J
Old 01-17-2013, 05:34 PM   #24

What is the advantage of "Switching to 6 volt batteries hooked up to make 12 volts." vs. using 12 volt batteries?

And the new Forest River Wildcats brochures say that the new trailers have "all lights 12V) including all slide out light)" and " LED exterior and Interior Lighting". Can anyone confirm?
Old 01-17-2013, 06:29 PM   #25

The main advantage is that most 6 volt batteries are true deep cycle batteries meant to drop was low, and recharge without harm. all other 12 volt "deep cycle" batteries are more of a hybrid, with bigger plates, but limited deep cycling capacity. The second issue is of course way way more available amp hours in a pair of 6 volt batteries hooked up in series. More amp hours means longer periods between re-charges, heavier capacity to run several lights, and furnace fan, water pump, etc. In fact If I could find the space, I would put in 4 or 6 6 volt batts, hooked up to make 12 volts, more amp hours. Look it up, since there are some terms that need to be understood.
Practice your google-fu.
Google is your friend.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:25 PM   #26

It all depends on the available space you have for the batteries. I debated back and forth on the 6v verses 12v. In the end I went with two 12 volt Trojans. Both are the SCS225 30 series batteries. This gave me the maximum amp hours for my storage space, even more than two 6 volt 105 batteries. They are not cheap but I have more amp hours than I have ever needed.

Nights camped 2012 - 35
Nights camped 2013 - 46
rkswyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:40 PM   #27
Site Team

I just use one Trojan 12V Group 30. We do fine with it. If you are out boondocking more than a few days, you are going to need a generator anyway. We just have the one battery and a Honda EU2000i. Works great. The DW wants 110V anyway occasionally for the microwave, hair dryer, etc. So personally, I don't see a big advantage to two batteries.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:48 PM   #28

Two batteries are nice if you are running the furnace alot in colder weather. I will say I am a true believer in the Trojan batteries. They are the best battery I have used in my travel trailers and trolling motor for my boat. Pick one up and compare it in weight to a cheaper battery of the same size and you will be amazed.

Nights camped 2012 - 35
Nights camped 2013 - 46
rkswyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:21 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Instructor
IMHO:

1) Blue "tote tank" - for waste disposal
2) Fresh Water bladder tank - for hauling in fresh water
3) Flo-jet Macerator - for pumping waste into blue tank, while sitting in truck bed, so that you can haul distances.
4) Small 12v water pump for pumping from bladder to fresh water fill.
5) All LED's interior.
6) Replace 12v battery with a pair of 6v golf cart batteries.
7) 2000w to 2400w QUIET generator
8) Solar panels - I have 300w, and they do a great job.
9) 2000w PSW inverter.
I'm looking to wire up a bank of batteries in parallel and hook to a power inverter but wanted to talk to someone who has already did this and experienced operating this way. Any suggestions?
Old 01-21-2013, 06:35 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttinchief View Post
I'm looking to wire up a bank of batteries in parallel and hook to a power inverter but wanted to talk to someone who has already did this and experienced operating this way. Any suggestions?
1) Herk has a great drawing on how to wire this (at least I THINK it was Herk)....

2) Make sure that the wires from the batteries to the inverter are as short as possible - mount the inverter as close to the batteries as you can.

3) Not exactly sure why, but + and - cables from batteries to inverter should be the exact same length, even if that means coiling and tie-wrapping some excess.

4) Finally, read the inverter manual thoroughly - it'll specify what size cable to run from the batteries, for whatever distance. Don't undersize this, as it"ll only cause inverter problems.

Hope that this helps!

2014 RAM 2500 Laramie 4x4 Quad Cab w/Cummins Turbo Diesel, 2009 Rockwood 2607, and 3 'yaks!
300W of Suntech Solar, a Rogue MPT-3024 Controller, and a Xantrex PW2000 Inverter
Fire Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote