Old 01-21-2013, 06:48 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Instructor View Post
1) Herk has a great drawing on how to wire this (at least I THINK it was Herk)....

2) Make sure that the wires from the batteries to the inverter are as short as possible - mount the inverter as close to the batteries as you can.

3) Not exactly sure why, but + and - cables from batteries to inverter should be the exact same length, even if that means coiling and tie-wrapping some excess.

4) Finally, read the inverter manual thoroughly - it'll specify what size cable to run from the batteries, for whatever distance. Don't undersize this, as it"ll only cause inverter problems.

Hope that this helps!
Heres my setup, I also built a bank of gel batteries that I can plug into my setup to go even longer

Old 01-21-2013, 06:55 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by racedaymechanic
Heres my setup, I also built a bank of gel batteries that I can plug into my setup to go even longer
Thanks could you get me a full pic. It looks like you have them in series and the neg. Cable going to the neg. Connection on the inverter and the pos. Cable going to the switch?

Old 01-21-2013, 07:01 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttinchief View Post
Thanks could you get me a full pic. It looks like you have them in series and the neg. Cable going to the neg. Connection on the inverter and the pos. Cable going to the switch?
Thats what I did, The batteries are in parallel so they are still 12 volt If you click on the top of the picture it will make it bigger, I ran the 110ac from the inverter to a switch inside the RV it allows me to run all of the wall plugs from either Shore Power or Inverter with a flip of the switch, no unplugging and Replugging I also have a switch inside to turn the Inverter on and off
Old 01-21-2013, 07:09 PM   #34

Quote:
Thats what I did, If you click on the top of the picture it will make it bigger, I ran the 110ac from the inverter to a switch inside the RV it allows me to run all of the wall plugs from either Shore Power or Inverter with a flip of the switch, no unplugging and Replugging I also have a switch inside to turn the Inverter on and off
I've seen on YouTube where if you wire the batteries in parallel you can double the ampHRs? Just a little focused on your wiring into what looks like a wiring box with the positive that has a bunch of smaller gaged wires hooked to it there on the wall of the camper? Also you have what looks like a plug with the gray plug ends unplugged what's that for?
Old 01-21-2013, 07:13 PM   #35

Quote:
Thats what I did, The batteries are in parallel so they are still 12 volt If you click on the top of the picture it will make it bigger, I ran the 110ac from the inverter to a switch inside the RV it allows me to run all of the wall plugs from either Shore Power or Inverter with a flip of the switch, no unplugging and Replugging I also have a switch inside to turn the Inverter on and off
Also see your name raceway mechanic We do a little modified racing, well my son does? But we travel all the time to watch. I used to drive yrs ago for quite a few yrs until my mechanic died of Cancer ( my brother). Now my son is working me back in. I used to be a decent set up guy after taking a few laps. Just rusty! HA HA.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:26 PM   #36

Quote:
I've seen on YouTube where if you wire the batteries in parallel you can double the ampHRs? Just a little focused on your wiring into what looks like a wiring box with the positive that has a bunch of smaller gaged wires hooked to it there on the wall of the camper? Also you have what looks like a plug with the gray plug ends unplugged what's that for?
Yes it doubles the amp hours, the cables are all 4 gauge, the Box is a marine one it has 4 positions off, battery 1, battery 2 and both batteries together, the gray plug is for a bank of batteries that I can plug into the system to extend my time longer
Old 01-21-2013, 07:29 PM   #37

Quote:
Also see your name raceway mechanic We do a little modified racing, well my son does? But we travel all the time to watch. I used to drive yrs ago for quite a few yrs until my mechanic died of Cancer ( my brother). Now my son is working me back in. I used to be a decent set up guy after taking a few laps. Just rusty! HA HA.
Cool, I raced for the better part of 30 years, retired from my job as a Operating Engineer in Michigan and moved to NC and worked in Nascar
Old 01-21-2013, 07:32 PM   #38
Site Team - Lou

So,

Here is my input and to the best of my knowledge the exact order I modified my OEM camper for "dry camping" in the Florida Keys. It was my goal from the day I signed the paperwork in June and knew our first winter would be dry camping in the Keys.

1) Second OEM DC-24 DeKa Battery. (I wired it improperly but it worked fine the first trip; fixed it later after I learned that it mattered) This doubled my amp hours from 75 to 150. When these go bad (no sign yet darn it), I will double again with 2 165AH Trojan 12 volt batteries.

2) Shut off switch and 2400 Watt Inverter. (I wired IT wrong but it worked until I could fix THAT and also learned why 2400 watts was WAY overkill. 1000 Watt in there now).

3) "Blue Boy" portable holding tank (42 Gallon) and a rear bumper mount to hold it when we travel. (REALLY glad I bought it that big as I can dump my tanks in two trips instead of 4 or 5).

4) Yamaha EF30iSEB so I can run the Air Conditioner and the coffee maker at the same time. (I got the TriFuel mod so depending on fuel costs I can run it on Propane, gasoline, or LNG. I also got the remote start so at the end of quiet hours I can start the generator and the coffee maker without getting out of bed.)

5) LED lights. (I replaced ALL my interior lights with LED pads. It took a year to figure out how to mount them so they would stay in place when in use.) The LED lights draw 1/10 the amps of the equivalent incandescent bulb increasing my "generator off" time by a factor of 10.

6) I buy a 5 gallon water bottle at the home store when I get where we are going and use a widget I made from a cap to fill my fresh water tank. After the bottled water gets used up I keep refilling the same 5 gallon bottle at the potable water bib and tote it back and forth with a folding wheeled cart.

7) Trimetric battery Monitoring system to keep track of battery capacity consumption so I would never let the batteries decay below 50% without running the generator.

Can't think of anything else. There are choices you can make that are different than these, but for the most part it is how I would do it again (except for the generator - I would buy a single Honda 2000 and if I found I could not live without the AC, I could always buy the Honda Companion to it.)

The equal length cables are critical only between the battery posts. This keeps the resistance of the batteries themselves equal for even charging and discharging.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	My wiring diagram.jpg
Views:	799
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	23223  

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:59 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769
So,

Here is my input and to the best of my knowledge the exact order I modified my OEM camper for "dry camping" in the Florida Keys. It was my goal from the day I signed the paperwork in June and knew our first winter would be dry camping in the Keys.

1) Second OEM DC-24 DeKa Battery. (I wired it improperly but it worked fine the first trip; fixed it later after I learned that it mattered) This doubled my amp hours from 75 to 150. When these go bad (no sign yet darn it), I will double again with 2 165AH Trojan 12 volt batteries.

2) Shut off switch and 2400 Watt Inverter. (I wired IT wrong but it worked until I could fix THAT and also learned why 2400 watts was WAY overkill. 1000 Watt in there now).

3) "Blue Boy" portable holding tank (42 Gallon) and a rear bumper mount to hold it when we travel. (REALLY glad I bought it that big as I can dump my tanks in two trips instead of 4 or 5).

4) Yamaha EF30iSEB so I can run the Air Conditioner and the coffee maker at the same time. (I got the TriFuel mod so depending on fuel costs I can run it on Propane, gasoline, or LNG. I also got the remote start so at the end of quiet hours I can start the generator and the coffee maker without getting out of bed.)

5) LED lights. (I replaced ALL my interior lights with LED pads. It took a year to figure out how to mount them so they would stay in place when in use.) The LED lights draw 1/10 the amps of the equivalent incandescent bulb increasing my "generator off" time by a factor of 10.

6) I buy a 5 gallon water bottle at the home store when I get where we are going and use a widget I made from a cap to fill my fresh water tank. After the bottled water gets used up I keep refilling the same 5 gallon bottle at the potable water bib and tote it back and forth with a folding wheeled cart.

7) Trimetric battery Monitoring system to keep track of battery capacity consumption so I would never let the batteries decay below 50% without running the generator.

Can't think of anything else. There are choices you can make that are different than these, but for the most part it is how I would do it again (except for the generator - I would buy a single Honda 2000 and if I found I could not live without the AC, I could always buy the Honda Companion to it.)

The equal length cables are critical only between the battery posts. This keeps the resistance of the batteries themselves equal for even charging and discharging.
Thanks could you email me a link to a video or send me a wiring diagram? I have heard if you had a 6 battery bank you could run an A/C but I would like to operate all my outlets and save gas. I have the best generator a Honda 6500iu and my 5 er is all 120v and my Honda has a switch that will allow me to run everything on my RV at the same time to include both A/C units. I just want something that will allow me to operate my trailer without a generator except to charge my batteries. I just can't find a good enough how to guide to do it without burning my camper down HAHA.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:50 PM   #40

Here is a quick drawing on how to wire your batteries direct to your inverter to get the most out of your batteries.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	batt wire.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	23228