Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2018, 06:51 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
Wow! Thank you so much for all the excellent suggestions!
  • Duneit - I had completely forgot about the propane! The RV will have 2-20# tanks. Using one at a time will allow me to hoist the empty tank into the truck to refill it while running on the second tank. I think that should be fairly easy to handle.
  • Kaadk - I know that I will need to improve the battery situation. The RV will come with a 12V "dual purpose" battery but I will switchover to 2-12V/100 ah or 2-6V/200 ah batteries for a useable 100 ah. We also have our eyes on a Victron BMV-712 battery monitor and will install it as one of the first priorities after delivery of the RV (along with disabling the fridge heating element).
  • timfromma - I suspect that you are aware of the SP campsites in New England. Most are wooded and I fear that solar battery charging will be a struggle at most campsites. However, we'll see how it goes and maybe add-on a portable unit at some time.
  • Richp - Your comment prompted me to look at the policies for the SPs in the NE. Whew! All allow generators during non-quiet hours.
  • joeuncool - Yes! We will use CG showers/toilets when possible to extend gray/black tank availability and limit fresh water usage. Besides, my S.O. is not a navy-shower aficionado!

I spent a lot of time backpacking in my teens and twenties and self-righteously looked down upon those who would camp in a box! However, during the last 45-years, the ground seems to have gotten more uncomfortable to sleep on, the weather colder and the need for night time bio-breaks have increased. Perhaps it is this perspective with which I now accept (and embrace) camping in a box...

Please keep the great ideas coming!
I also used to look down on those who called using a trailer camping, now i'm to the point where even sleeping on my extra thick thermarest just isn't cutting it. I now love what my wife calls " our woods box"

We are doing our first full week of boondocking next week. What I've found over the long weekends are that most places ban or limit generator hours so having a big one to run the AC is a total waste especially in a hybrid where none of that cool air is going to stay beyond an hour. In the White Mt's national forrest where we are staying I get 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours in the afternoon to run the generator so what's really the point of trying to use the AC? Based on that all I need is a 1000 watt generator. Runs everything but the AC and the microwave.

I have over 400AH useable battery capacity via 5 or 6 sealed gel cell batteries designed for use on solar electric systems. My Honda EU1000 has no problems keeping them charged via the units converter. In fact it will idle down if that's all that is running. The Honda is more money but it's the quietest unit on the market and to me that count's
BigLou80 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondocking, newbie