Old 03-23-2013, 01:50 AM   #11
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarMovies View Post
100% agreement with the furnace thing. Furnace On = Game Over. Oh and Dan...its a possible 8 kids not 4. This is one adventurous woman here!
wow! 8 kids for 4 days and no hookups! with tents you don't have all the amenities that the trailer will have, which will be tempting to use.

your biggest issue will still be having the one battery, especially if you expect to use the furnace. then you add needing the water pump and lights. if they are LED's, that will help.

shuttling water will be fine. we dry camp almost all the time and are used to doing it.
we have two 12v deep cycle batteries, a Honda 2000, a 6 gallon water jug and a 15 gallon blue tote tank.
since we rarely have hookups, we got these things to make sure we can go for days if we want to.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:45 AM   #12

You’ve gotten some good advice. I would add for safety reasons be sure to turn your battery back on at night when everyone is sleeping. The propane detector operates off the 12 volt RV battery.

The original poster didn’t mention how many kids would be going, but if it’s 8, YIKES! 30 gallon black water tank, 8 kids, 4 nights, not sure how that will work out.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:56 AM   #13

Thanks everyone for the replies. Yes it is 8 kids but the toilet use would be mostly for my husband, me, my 2 year old daughter and maybe the 7 and 9 year olds so I don't have to get up when/if they go out in the middle of the night. The 1 year old will still be in diapers and the older kids can run to the vault toilet. We will keep an eye on how full the black and grey water tanks get and adjust usage. I am not opposed to using the vault toilet but would like to take advantage of the convenience of the camper toilet if possible. I have tent camping memories of me being about 3 1/2 months pregnant and running to the campground bathroom at least 8 times one night between myself and my younger boys a few years ago!

I do not plan to use the fridge because I am just too afraid of the battery dying and losing food would not be good. We have a 5 day cooler.

My husband is pretty sure they are NOT LED lights so that is why I just want to disconnect the battery and plan not to use it at all. Minimal usage could easily become maximum usage with our crew. I can see one of the kids running into the camper to get something and leaving a light on all day. We will eventually switch to LED just not this year.

We don't plan on using the furnace. We have tent camped in the fall when it got in the upper 40's at night and we were good. The dates have not been confirmed for the camp out but most likely mid summer so I don't expect it to get colder than that.

Someone mentioned the propane alarm needing the battery? Can we just turn off the propane at night? I guess we could reconnect the battery at night.

I have read it is not good for the battery to get too low...

Does the slide need a charged battery to operate so we can bring it back in when we are ready to leave if for some reason the battery did die? How would a dead battery affect us at the new campground with electricity?

The campground is very rustic and I really do not want to have to be running the car for a long time to recharge the battery.

If I had to buy all this stuff, it would be cost effective to just buy a generator but since we already own all the stuff, I figure we might as well just use it.

Originally, I had a pretty generous vacation/camper budget for this summer but my oldest son swore into the Delayed Entry Program of the Marine Corps recently and we need to use a huge chunk of it for all of us to go to South Carolina in December for his graduation! So now I am just having to make some adjustments to our previous plans...but well worth the effort.

Thanks again for the replies. It helps to talk (write) through it to make sure I am not forgetting anything! I am a big time planner (have to be with 8 kids) so that I can relax when we finally get to our destination.
mom28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:15 AM   #14

In the event of your minimal battery usage, it results in a low battery or accidental discharge and not enough power to operate slide or other device, you can always plug in to your tow vehicle (as you would if you were leaving) and everything in the trailer should operate as designed! Happy camping.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:18 AM   #15
Fulltime family RVer

Yes, the slide needs battery to come in- but, if you need to, simply plugging the camper into the truck will give it enough juice to come in.

I really feel like you have your head on your shoulders with this and should be set! Heck, you've inspired me!
Old 03-23-2013, 11:23 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom28 View Post
Thanks everyone for the replies. Yes it is 8 kids but the toilet use would be mostly for my husband, me, my 2 year old daughter and maybe the 7 and 9 year olds so I don't have to get up when/if they go out in the middle of the night. The 1 year old will still be in diapers and the older kids can run to the vault toilet. We will keep an eye on how full the black and grey water tanks get and adjust usage. I am not opposed to using the vault toilet but would like to take advantage of the convenience of the camper toilet if possible. I have tent camping memories of me being about 3 1/2 months pregnant and running to the campground bathroom at least 8 times one night between myself and my younger boys a few years ago!

I do not plan to use the fridge because I am just too afraid of the battery dying and losing food would not be good. We have a 5 day cooler.

My husband is pretty sure they are NOT LED lights so that is why I just want to disconnect the battery and plan not to use it at all. Minimal usage could easily become maximum usage with our crew. I can see one of the kids running into the camper to get something and leaving a light on all day. We will eventually switch to LED just not this year.

We don't plan on using the furnace. We have tent camped in the fall when it got in the upper 40's at night and we were good. The dates have not been confirmed for the camp out but most likely mid summer so I don't expect it to get colder than that.

Someone mentioned the propane alarm needing the battery? Can we just turn off the propane at night? I guess we could reconnect the battery at night.

I have read it is not good for the battery to get too low...

Does the slide need a charged battery to operate so we can bring it back in when we are ready to leave if for some reason the battery did die? How would a dead battery affect us at the new campground with electricity?

The campground is very rustic and I really do not want to have to be running the car for a long time to recharge the battery.

If I had to buy all this stuff, it would be cost effective to just buy a generator but since we already own all the stuff, I figure we might as well just use it.

Originally, I had a pretty generous vacation/camper budget for this summer but my oldest son swore into the Delayed Entry Program of the Marine Corps recently and we need to use a huge chunk of it for all of us to go to South Carolina in December for his graduation! So now I am just having to make some adjustments to our previous plans...but well worth the effort.

Thanks again for the replies. It helps to talk (write) through it to make sure I am not forgetting anything! I am a big time planner (have to be with 8 kids) so that I can relax when we finally get to our destination.
The 7 and 9 year olds should be able to use the campground toilets, so that is a savings right there.
The propane alarm sucks a lot of battery power, so I would just shut off the propane at night as you mentioned.
The slide does need a reasonably-charged battery to work, but you could just use booster cables when you need to pack up. And if you did run your battery down, charging it for a while with booster cables isn't the wrost thing I have seen done in campgrounds!
As far as having a "dead" battery when you move to an electric site, no problem, the camper's charging system will do the job.
You seem to be pretty well prepared, so should do fine.
have fun!
Old 03-23-2013, 12:50 PM   #17

Have you considered renting a generator for the time you are camping. You might be able to get one near the CG you are going to then you would be able to charge the battery up during the day. This would allow you to use your refrigerator while at the CG with no power. Just a suggestion. This idea might not work for you.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 02:44 PM   #18
Moderators' Assistant

the slide will also have a manual crank to pull it in, when there's no battery power. takes awhile but it'll work.

the fridge uses a fraction of the battery power, not a big power drain. are you going to use the water heater? the DSI will need battery power to light the WH but that's only for a second.

as was said, furnace, propane detector, slide motor and lights will be your biggest drains.
the fridge and WH only use power to light the propane side, except for the fridge light when you open it.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:04 PM   #19

Ok, I have a Rockwood 2109S and we do camp alot at state parks with no hookups. I do have 2 batteries (got the dealer to add it at no cost as part of the deal) and it is just my wife and myself. We are used to conserving anyhow from having a popup with one battery.
The state parks here will usually have an area where you can plug in a battery charger and charge your battery. Granted you have to lug it over to where ever that is but you bring your charger from home (if you have one) and charge the battery every other day. Call and see if they have something like that.
2012 Rockwood 2109S (Sold)
2014 Cougar X-Lite 21RBS

wbdvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:24 PM   #20

I see no reason why you can't do what you're planning to do. Shut the propane off at night. The detector will still be working during the day if you leave the battery on. You can plug into your TV to bring the slide in. Conserve your battery power and have a great time.