Old 03-22-2013, 10:47 PM   #1

no electric or water

We will be taking our kids camping with several other families to a state park campground for 4 nights that has vault toilets and no water at the site and no electric. We have camped here once before in a tent.

We just bought a new 233s roo.

I am worried about the battery.

I have spent way too much time reading about generators, battery chargers, 2 12 V battery hookups and I have decided that we just do not have the extra money in the budget to buy any of these things.

We have tent camped without electric hook ups so we have battery operated lights and battery operated fans. We also have a 5 day cooler for our food and another cooler for drinks. We will bring water and we have a 5 gallon collapsible thingy that we can fill at the campground just not at our site.

If I push the battery disconnect while we camp, can I still use the toilet if we just put water in before we "flush" and can we "use" the sinks for brushing our teeth, washing hands, with the water we bring? There are vault toilets that we will use during the day but I have little kids and would like to be able to use the toilet in the camper during the night. We did not take showers last year, just "freshened up" swimming in Lake Michigan.

We will pack up and drive 2 hours to meet up with a different group of families for 4 more nights. That campground will have water and electric at the site and a dump station that we can use.

mom28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:10 PM   #2
Fulltime family RVer

No ideas, but thanks for asking. I have the same questions about camping at state parks with the RV.

Old 03-22-2013, 11:17 PM   #3

you sure can

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom28 View Post

can I still use the toilet if we just put water in before we "flush" and can we "use" the sinks for brushing our teeth, washing hands, with the water we bring?
you sure can
just pour a little water down through there
if that is your desire

the system knows not where the water comes from

on the last day or two run things using your battery
that will give you an idea how long it will last
good thing to know for the future

Mountainman
Old 03-22-2013, 11:18 PM   #4

You can still use the toilet. If you are putting paper down into the tank you might want to use a bit more water. It you keep water in the bowl and want to save on the amount of water going into the tank just remember if it is yellow let it mellow if is is brown flush is down. There will also be no problem with using the sinks just remember that you will have extra weight in the holding tanks when you leave.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:23 PM   #5
RV Newbie

There is no reason you couldn't camp like that. We often use our motorhome without charging up the plumbing system. Flush and cook with water jugs we bring with us. We have a nice collection of 1/2 grapefruit juice jugs. We'll pre freeze two or three of them to cool the frig and use thatt water once they melt.

In the winter we'll carry a gallon or two of anti freeze for flushing.
1963 Ford 861 5 speed with loader
1958 Ford 800 Select-O-Speed (parts tractor)
buzzards27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:24 AM   #6

If it were me -

Fill the fresh water tank.
Connect the battery in the evening and turn on the water heater so I have hot water for the end of the day.
Leave the pump on for the night. It is an on demand pump.
Use the lights sparingly during the evening.
Disconnect the battery in the morning.
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:49 AM   #7
2012 Solera

Fairly simple to set up to use your tow vehicle to charge your RV battery when needed. Similar to using a portable generator to charge the RV battery. Start the vehicle, then hook the batteries together plus to plus and minus to minus. Similar to jump starting another car. Believe they have cigarette lighter adapters for "slow jumping" cars with low batteries - allows making the connection between the batteries "remote" from either battery. Safer than making the connection at the battery and allows charging without opening the hood.
Old 03-23-2013, 12:56 AM   #8
Moderators' Assistant

if you conserve power, you can get by. but if you plan on using the furnace, forget lasting with only one battery and no generator.

and using your vehicle to recharge the battery, is about as inefficient as you can get. using a 6-8 cyl. engine, to recharge a battery and letting all the exhaust pollute your campsite, is just something i can't see doing.
for an emergency, maybe.

with 4 kids, it'll really be a challenge for 4 days and one battery.
why not rent a Honda 1000w and take it to recharge the battery?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:14 AM   #9

Okay...
SO you've taken 8 kids camping before w/o your husband or oldest son along to help and you had two kids in port a cribs. All of this while tenting. Hmmm. You can do this. Piece of cake.

You haven't had to concern yourself with power consumption/savings before and have no idea how long that battery will hold. The trailer needs to be in storage due to rules in the neighborhood so putting this thing thru some all systems testing for four nights on the launch pad is out. Oh well.

Your Roo should have LED's as it was built recently. Huge power savings. Use as much portable water as possible. You are used to that already with the tenting you've done. The pump will use power for sure. Use it as little as possible. Keep the bunk fans off too. The fridge needs battery power, or so I understand, so hitting the battery disconnect will disable that too. Maybe Dan or someone else can chime in on that as he should understand better than I. If I'm mistaken please correct me.

A second battery isnt as expensive as you might think but still might not be in your budget. My Roo is coming with a 2nd battery. I had the dealer add it. Case, cables, battery and installed for $150. Its an identical match to the other one. Same type and age. But maybe battery money would be better spent elsewhere. Same thing might apply to renting a generator. I totally understand the budget thing.

This is still doable. Its all about making sure that battery lasts so it can have enough power for that fridge. You will be using the fridge right? If you need motivation sit the family down and watch Apollo 13. A great example of power consumption/conservation.

http://instagram.com/pineforestcamper#
----------------------------------------
PineForestCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:21 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
if you conserve power, you can get by. but if you plan on using the furnace, forget lasting with only one battery and no generator.

with 4 kids, it'll really be a challenge for 4 days and one battery.
100% agreement with the furnace thing. Furnace On = Game Over. Oh and Dan...its a possible 8 kids not 4. This is one adventurous woman here!

http://instagram.com/pineforestcamper#
----------------------------------------
PineForestCamper is offline   Reply With Quote