Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2019, 12:13 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilco View Post
Most trailers are 30 amp single phase. If you are going to buy a 3500 watt generator, verify it is 3500 watt single phase (120v). Some generators are 3500 watt dual phase (240v) which only gives you ~15 amps at single phase.
Best way to do that is to buy one that has a 30 amp RV receptacle built in.

IF they also provide 240 volt there is a separate twist lock receptacle and a selector switch. The original Champion 3500/4000 W open frame generators were built like this. A lot merely provided 15 amp at each of two 120 v receptacles.

Look for the 30 amp receptacle and your good.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 01:18 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by njfishing View Post
OK so always looking to learn something....I know you always have to look at two batteries when your are looking @ 6 volts since they have to be wired in series to make it look like a 12 volt to your trailer... So here are the rating for a single 6 volt and a single 12 volt...

The Trojan 12 volt T1275 ratings are
@25 amps 280 mins
@56 amps 102 mins
@75 amps 70 mins

The Trojan 6 volt T145
@ 25 amps 530 mins
@ 75 amps 145 mins

So if you have two 12 volts you double the numbers but not if you have two 6 volts you don't ??

Not trying to be a wise guy here just wanting to know for future reference.
correct . so the 145 mins at 75 amp for a 6 volt seems good . but you need 2 of them to get numbers . a 12 volt set up will give you the 70 mins at 75 amps a 6 volt will give you nothing with out the other . 2 12 volts will give just about the same as two 6 volts . or one 12 volt will operate your unit 1 6 volt will not . since i use my batteries for other things like trolling motor it makes no since to get 6 volt batteries . but the assumption the 6's are better then 12's is kind of misleading .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 01:26 PM   #23
Recently new!

Send a message via AIM to Paulie1138
Easy way to remember current and voltage. Assumes batteries are the same.
Current ADDS in parallel. Voltage is constant
Voltage ADDS in series. Current is constant

Some use 4x 6 volt batteries in a series/parallel configuration to get more current. Some use multiples of 12 volt batteries. What is important, not to mix age and types of batteries. The weakest one of the lot can easily degrade or ruin the whole setup. Most have found the 6v’s last the longest. Read the MANY battery posts/arguments elsewhere in the forum!

If I get an infusion of cash, BattleBorn Lithium is the gold standard. But, they are near a grand apiece, but can last a very long time, with no maintenance, and you can use up to 90% capacity with no harm. They weigh a whole lot less, too. Flooded lead batteries, you need to stay above 50% capacity or they have even shorter life spans than they already have.

Personally, I have an oversized solar, boondock at least 1/2 the time, use my microwave and wife, her hair drier. We use 2 inverters, one is an older 3000 watt unit, but uses too much current for my liking in standby mode even with the remote off. We use that one for the big current stuff. We also use a 600 watt unit most of the time. We can leave that one on, as in standby, draws almost nothing. The solar we have always keeps us charged to 100% very nicely.

Have been using 6v’s for almost 4 years in this rig with no problem or apparent degradation of the bank. Cannot say how long they are going to last, but are still doing great. We have a good solar charger and monitor. In our pop up, we had 2x 12v marine batteries and a 80 watt or so cheapie solar setup. Those usually lasted 4-6 years before replacing.

That said, I currently do not own a generator and rarely have wanted/needed it. However, I cannot run the air conditioning unless connected to a generator or shore power. We go to a campground (with electric) if it is too hot at night or go to cooler places! The CG also lets us drain our tanks, refresh our water supply and do laundry. We can go 2 -3 weeks at a time or so between CG’s if we plan carefully.

No matter which way you decide to go, get a good battery monitor. It will save your battery bacon! You will get a really good idea as to your battery state of charge and useage. You will get to know how long you can go between charges, or how long you need to recharge.
Loving wife, R.I.P., 6/6/19
and Mason the always dirty dog! R.I.P, 2/19
Paulie1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 02:02 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bianchina3 View Post
Since we are going for a full week is there anything I should be really concerned for/about? Should I get a generator? Solar might be an option as well. I just have no experience for that kind of length.
As usual, great advice on this forum.

I would add a couple of things.

Most people, including me, boondock for the privacy and, hopefully, solitude. Nothing ruins the latter faster than someone running a "contractor" style generator. Please, if you buy a generator purchase one rated for low noise.

You might also want to log on to RVtravel.com The every Saturday newsletter features a boondocking column.
Old 02-18-2019, 02:19 PM   #25

When boondocking, we take our Honda 2000i but--as quiet as it is--run it only when our neighbors aren't around. We don't use the microwave or AC. The main purpose of the generator is to charge up the phones, computer, hotspot and camper battery.

We also take along a 12V fan (similar to the RoadPro RP8000 10" Indoor/Outdoor Dual Power Fan). Our camper has a 12V outlet. The fan also takes a bunch of D-cell batteries which we've never tried to use. It's great for circulating the air on a hot or stuffy day and can also be used when connected to shore power.

Another thing you need if dry camping are totes for black/gray dumping, and a fresh water tote. We also carry extra-long fresh water hoses (totaling about 120') in case there's a nearby water hydrant that we can use for filling. Otherwise we have to carry and poor from the water tote.
kawac14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 02:23 PM   #26

I agree that you should 'off grid' somewhere close by for a few nights before you attempt a 'brand new' off-grid experience for a whole week, in a place you don't know much about, and maybe not near the amenities you normally have access to.

unplug everything and see how long you last... you'll easily outlast the battery, and then start to understand what you 'can' and 'cannot' do while off grid.

you don't 'know' what you don't know until you know !

I would not run out and purchase a generator, and certainly not solar(!), just because you are going on an initial off grid trip, with little to no knowledge about either, and the costs associated with each. Solar is not going to be a smart 'investment' just for a week of camping....Go first, and then you'll KNOW what you'll need for the next time.

You can read all you can on this site, from all of us 'experienced' off gridders, but you'll not really KNOW what YOU need until YOU experience it... enjoy!
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 02:31 PM   #27

If you don't plan to run the AC and if your refrigerator can run on LP, the easiest/cheapest solution would be to get a 2000W inverter generator and go with that.
It seems you already have two batteries so more than most of people already have.
The only other thing I would recommend is a battery monitoring device in order to know when to turn on the generator.

Even the cheapest of those will help.

After this week of boondocking, you will have a better idea of what you will need (if any) for your needs.

" Life is simpler when you plow around the stump..."
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 02:43 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
correct . so the 145 mins at 75 amp for a 6 volt seems good . but you need 2 of them to get numbers . a 12 volt set up will give you the 70 mins at 75 amps a 6 volt will give you nothing with out the other . 2 12 volts will give just about the same as two 6 volts . or one 12 volt will operate your unit 1 6 volt will not . since i use my batteries for other things like trolling motor it makes no since to get 6 volt batteries . but the assumption the 6's are better then 12's is kind of misleading .
Thanks Mr M.... And all this time I assumed you added the 2 numbers together for the 6 volts, making your total 290 minutes for 75 amps...

You learn something new every day and I can see how in your application why 12 volts make sense..
Curt Trutrack WDH
HD Roadmaster Active Suspension
3200 Firman Generator/Inverter
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 02:44 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by njfishing View Post
Thanks Mr M.... And all this time I assumed you added the 2 numbers together for the 6 volts, making your total 290 minutes for 75 amps...

You learn something new every day and I can see how in your application why 12 volts make sense..
That being said, in either case you want to be sure you are using true deep cycle batteries...
Curt Trutrack WDH
HD Roadmaster Active Suspension
3200 Firman Generator/Inverter
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 03:16 PM   #30

Want to find out what works and what doesn't work and for how long? Then boondock in your driveway for the weekend or longer if you can. See how long your power lasts, see how long the propane holds out, how long FW lasts. How soon your Grey fills up. BW doesn't fill up over a week with just a couple using it. But remember you are Boondocking, not only are you unable to get more AC to charge, Water or dump anything. Take showers and that grey will fill in a day or two, faster than imagined.
Besides, I like camping in the drive way... or even at the nearest park. Camping and going to work everyday. That way if any surprises or short comings on my Boondocking abilities show up I am close to home and can hook up and tow or hook up to shore power. If you have a sewer clean-out in your yard, "I've heard you can dump in there" mind you I have only heard this, I wouldn't pretend to advise anyone on plumbing codes in your area!
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 03:59 PM   #31

Having read the thread I'd advise 3 things:
1. Keep your existing batteries and use them till they die...THEN make a decision to get TRUE deep cycle batteries (yes they also make true marine deep cycle and you may have them if you have DEKA or East PENN made marine batts that have a DC in the model number)... you can also make a decision on 12V vs 6 volt at that time.

2. You need to KNOW when your batteries are half empty so you don't damage them and can start to charge them back up to 100%. The ONLY way to do this accurately...and with the LEAST generator run time is to get a real battery monitor...it will tell you when you need to charge and when you can stop. Try victron or trimetric..about $150.
Worst case...get a voltmeter and never let the reading get below 12.2V. This is inaccurate and won't tell you when the batteries are recharged either...but it is better than nothing. If you're gonna boondock a lot in the future...you need a true monitor and it will pay for itself in gas and replacement battery costs.

3. A half empty battery takes 6 hours to fully recharge at least. NOT fully recharging degrades battery life. One week of camping wont hurt anything if you don't go below half full and recharge at least 3 hours each time...but you can't do this long term without killing batts early from sulphation. Many boondockers add some solar so that they don't have to run the generator as long. But again...it all depends on how often you intend to boondock.

Good luck with the camping!
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 04:32 PM   #32

I live and camp in Colorado. For my Lance TT with a single 12v battery I prefer solar. I carry a 110W Zamp suitcase charger. If I had 2 12v batteries I'd double my solar capacity. With my current Zamp and a single battery I have all the power I need (No AC, but you don't need it AC in the mountains of Colorado). I'm careful to turn OFF whatever isn't being used at the moment.

When I need AC in the Lance, I carry a Honda 2000i generator. I leave home with the Honda gas tank full plus 5 gallons of gas. That's about 18 hours of generator run time. The 2000i just barely gets by (a little undersized). I'm thinking of going to the 2200i generator. If you are buying new, get at least 2200. In a previous life I carried a 3500W Generac generator. They use comperable gas burn but the Generac is 96 pounds while the Honda is 50 pounds.

I have a new Dokio 100W suitcase charger I'm evaluating (can't recommend it yet as I hooked it up to batteries for the first time yesterday). Much cheaper and much lighter than the Zamp or any framed charger.
Old 02-18-2019, 05:09 PM   #33

And just a reminder, disconnect the power cable from your TV when you settle in if you don't otherwise disconnect.
Dirt Sifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 05:11 PM   #34

OMG, I never thought I would get so much info from everyone! Thanks a ton.

The battery question is a moot point. I am not planning to go out to buy new batteries. For the amount of week long BD we do it is not worth the expense. The current batteries are just a little of over a year old so...

The advice on the generator is great. I would hope that I wouldn't have to go with a 3500 watt one. I don't know if AC is needed in the mountains in July/August. A larger generator is pretty big (phyically) and I would prefer not to man-handle the darn thing.

Much food for thought!!!!

Ed

Bianchina3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 06:57 PM   #35
Recently new!

Dirt Sifter, many vehicles automatically disconnect the trailer voltage when the ignition is off. Use a volt meter to see if the TV does so. On the TV side of the Bargman connector, connect a volt meter to pins #1 and 4 if you have the usual 7 pin Bargman connector. Do so with engine running then again, key off. If you have voltage in both positions, then by all means, disconnect. If not, then OK to leave connected.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:05 PM   #36

The WESTINGHOUSE IGEN2500 2200W PORTABLE INVERTER GENERATOR is about $600 at home depot and will run everything. Quiet 2200w continuous run. 50 lb weight.
Almost totaly boondock.
Days Camped 2016 91, 2017 110
Days camped 2018 136
nodrawers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 07:24 PM   #37

Paulie, thanks, will check my rigs once the weather cooperates.
Dirt Sifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 07:52 PM   #38
Recently new!

Remember, those contacts on the trailer side will always show voltage unless the disconnect switch. Check the tow vehicle side. I am told most with the factory tow package activate the voltage only when ignition is on. My Ford, and neighbor’s Dodge do this.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:51 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bianchina3 View Post
We normally camp in Illinois or Wisconsin and all the state parks have electricity. We are going camping in either South Dakota or Colorado and most of the places we want to go are no electricity. Water is not an issue, we are used to that. I have two deep cycle marine batteries for the camper (26RLSS). Since we are going for a full week is there anything I should be really concerned for/about? Should I get a generator? Solar might be an option as well. I just have no experience for that kind of length.
I have read the other posts in this thread. I think you should start with a battery monitor like the Victron BMV-712.

I did not start with a battery monitor and I regret it, because without it, I could not tell how many amp hours my Battle Born batteries had available. If you are going to boondock, you need to know your battery SOC (State of Charge). It is like a fuel gauge for your battery. A Victron BMV-712 will tell you how many amp hours is left in your battery.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180819-180640.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	197127
Screenshot from my phone last summer

I liked the Victron bluetooth app on my phone so much I upgraded to a Victron SmartSolar MPPT 100/50 solar charge controller.
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 02:11 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodrawers View Post
The WESTINGHOUSE IGEN2500 2200W PORTABLE INVERTER GENERATOR is about $600 at home depot and will run everything. Quiet 2200w continuous run. 50 lb weight.
Almost totaly boondock.

Will that run an A/C as well?

Bianchina3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondocking