Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2011, 07:52 AM   #1
PatLor

One Night - Advice Please!!

We started with an Aliner - conquered! We have our Grey Wolf 25RB - we can handle with water/elec connections. We are looking at a long (for us) trip from Indiana to South Carolina. We could do it in one long drive, or we could spend the night at a Walmart or a rest stop. (picture deer in the headlights look) I have read this forum since April, but am still getting my head around battery/electrical usage. My DW needs a small fan for the noise (no discussion on this point) and I use a Respironics CPAP machine. There is no info online or in its fan's manual about power usage (Honeywell HT-350BP). The CPAP says 12v 4.16 amp on its label. My battery says DC-24 (no brand name that I can find) 750 Marine cranking amps. Usable Power Hours are 3.9 @ 15 amps, 3.0 hours @ 20 amps, and 2.0 hours at 25 amps. Is this battery enough to get these two items to run for 6 - 8 hours of sleep? Please assidt oh gurus of the week long, no power, expedition, and please try not to chuckle too much at my lack of knowledge
Pkdennis0504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:52 AM   #2

My CPAP runs on 110AC, so I used a 300 watt inverter and a Gp27 deep cycle battery in my previous trailer. It would run all night with a vent fan running on low. It would not last all night if the furnace was running occasionally.

In your case, you have a dual cycle marine starting battery, the smallest and cheapest battery most dealers use. According to the figures you stated, it has about 50-60 amps of usable power. If you cpap uses 4.16 amp per hour, the battery should last about 12 hours, if it's fully charged and in good condition, you use no lights at all, nor anything else. I can't answer your question about the fan, if it has no tag affixed to it. Is it a small 12v, or does it use 110AC? I did a search, and couldn't find anything.

If I had to GUESS, I'd say try it, you might get 6-7 hours. Keep your light usage to a bare minimum, and DO NOT run the furnace.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:58 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Why don't you look for a state park campground, $20~$25 per night, with electric. At least here in North Carolina. Water too, and a dump station. Sites fairly level, may not even have to unhook. If you can get electric, the all is well, battery will stay charged, and you will be fine. If you come through Winston-Salem, you can stay here, for free, can't beat that.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 02:28 PM   #4

Windrider makes a valid point. If this is the only time you're apt to do this, then a campground charge would be cheaper than upgrading. In my case, I paid $60 for the inverter, added a second battery for about $75 including wiring. But, I also boondock for several days at a time, several times a year. I also carry a generator to recharge the batteries.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:29 PM   #5

I also have also have the same CPAP machine and a lot of our camping is done without electric hook-up. I purchased a battery pack from CPAP Supply and it works great. A charge will last 4 nights and will re-charge is one day. Comes with its own charger that can be plugged into any standard 110 outlet. Have used it in the BWCA and my fishing partners greatly appreciate the lack of snoring.

Darrell
dparkpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 02:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparkpa View Post
greatly appreciate the lack of snoring.

Darrell
I had to chuckle at that comment. My wife said that when I got my CPAP, that was the best present I ever got her.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:42 PM   #7

Great info, I too use a CPAP and have wondered about electrical usage.

2012 F-350 4x4 King Ranch Super Duty CC 6.7 Turbo Diesel 3.55 e-locker
2011 Palomino Puma 30KFBDS with Side Paw Kitchen and Bunkhouse
Equalizer E2 Hitch
GASPEDDLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 02:47 PM   #8

Forgot to mention that the battery I bought the sealed lead-acid universal pack as shown on the web site. You need to also order the 12v power cord.

Darrell
dparkpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 02:56 PM   #9

On my cpap, there is a 12v adapter available, but it costs about the same as the inverter I bought. I figured the inverter could be used for other things as well, so went that route.
Old 11-29-2011, 03:02 PM   #10
PatLor

Thanks!!

I appreciate all of the input! If we do this with an overnight break, then I will follow the sage words of many here and look for a basic campground to stop on the way. Maybe one day, I will turn into an intrepid boondocker like many of you, but I definitely have some learning to do!
Pkdennis0504 is offline   Reply With Quote