Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2015, 01:00 PM   #1
2010 Forest River Solera

Oregon Boondocking

Is anyone willing to share their favorite boon docking places in Oregon? We are fairly new to RV'ing, have all the set up: generator, solar panel for topping off the batteries, mental organization about dry camping......
Want some cool places to check out. Understand if not willing to share, could be like that awesome secret fishing hole...
Any generous souls out there?
36 days in RV since March, 2015 and loving it. So does the missus....

Ron, Debra & Foxy
2010 Forest River Solera - Diesel
Ron, Debra & Foxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 10:04 PM   #2

So many places and so little time.... Diamond Lake, Lost Lake, Umpqua River, any where on the coast, Three Sisters, Klamath River....

For fishing, Crescent Lake, Klamath River, Wickiup Reservoir, any creek you see.

For scenery: nothing better than Crater Lake and then drive toward Medford along the Rogue River and see the Gorge.
bboorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 11:06 PM   #3

Timothy lake is great. All the sites around the lake lack hookups so you get the crowd that is more into that.

Also a friend told me about a gravel beach on the Columbia near Pendleton. Not sure of exact location.

I'm new to RVing so I'm looking forward to discovering these places as well.

Also there is another member on here who does lots of boondocking, I'll post their name shortly.
mbCik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 11:13 PM   #4

Best kept secret I have.

Shelton Wayside just out of Fossil OR. Outside memorial day weekend pretty much any time you go you're likely to be the only one in the whole park. Deer, Turkeys, and other unseen critters abound. It's right off HWY 19 but in the evenings it's pretty danged quiet out there. I went July last year and again during spring break and we were it. Memorial day was a zoo. My dogs could have a ball without worrying about leash restrictions. ( just please clean up after them! ) Lots of shade trees.

There is water but no power and no dump station. You can dump at the Fossil RV park.

You can drive a couple miles down the road to the Service Creek Stage stop for a great meal and fish the John Day river right close.

Also Cottonwood Canyon is a great place, super bass fishing right there. It's the newest state park and very clean. No shade though, the summer can get pretty toasty.

Out that way it's nice that people who pass by wave at you with all their fingers.
2014 F150 Supercrew 4x4 3.5L EB 3:31 axle
1999 F350 Supercab V10 4x4 3.73 LS
Markwie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 09:39 PM   #5

Just saw this thread...
I live in Bend and my wife and I and our three dogs love Wikkiup Reservoir which is on the Cascades Lakes Highway. If you go to the sign that says, Reservoir Campground and turn left onto the dirt road you are in for some great boondocking. Turn left at the third dirt road and just start exploring dirt roads off of that one. Along the lake there is a very long pure sand beach and that goes on for miles. The spaces to park an RV are numerous but you have to have patience to keep looking to find the good ones. But there are several right along the beach and lake. You might as well be camping in the Caribbean.
As said by others in the thread, there are numerous places to boondock on BLM land all over Oregon. You have to look and explore but there are too many to mention. Good luck and feel free to contact me with questions. Please PM me.
One wife
Two kayaks, One SUP
Bend, Oregon
Solera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 05:55 PM   #6

These are a few we have tried. I won't repeat the ones that have already been mentioned.

Susan Creek, a BLM campsite on the North Umpqua is really nice. It has trails leading to a water fall and along the river, showers & water but no elec.

Cascadia State Park on Hwy 20 east of Sweet Home has some excellent swimming holes on the Santiam and a trail to a waterfall. Water spigots & showers, no elec. and no generators allowed.

Page Springs near Frenchglen and Steens Mt is really beautiful. Situated on the Donner & Blitzen River it offers easy access to the Steens Mountain Loop Rd. Water & vault toilets.

Alsea Falls in the Coast Range foothills is nice with hiking & mt biking trails, water, vault toilets.

Clear Lake campground is a beautiful spot situated on a hillside above the lake. The only water available is from a hand pump at the bottom of the hill so you might want to fill up your rig before going there. No motor boats allowed.

Waldo Lake, again no motor boats, has 3 campgrounds and lots of hiking trails. I hear the mosquitoes are bad here in the summer but we visited in Sept and had no problem. Water is provided but no elec.

Paulina Lake looked good for boon docking but we only drove thru the campground, staying instead at the full service LaPine State Park.

Humbug, on the Breitenbush River in the Willamette NF not far from Detroit Lake is pretty. We left after my neighbor fired up his construction generator.
BruceM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 09:35 AM   #7
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Waterloo Park west of Sweethome is also nice
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote