Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2012, 09:11 AM   #21

It will run a long time on the 4 d-cell batteries. I don't have the AC adapter but the fan is nothing like the one on your built in furnace. I would guess it is alot less draw.

Nights camped 2012 - 35
Nights camped 2013 - 46
rkswyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:26 AM   #22

We use ours to do a quick warmup inside the camper and to take the chill off while sitting outside. Those things put out a lot of heat in a short time (especially in the confined space of the camper). We haven't noticed an obvious odor, but we (I) don't have the most sensitive sniffer.

When using it outside, I'll usually put it nearby my wife's chair and it gives her just enough warmth to stay comfortable.

The pic is from our first outing using it. Even sitting on the table like it is pictured it added enough warmth to the area for my wife to be comfortable. The only downside is that we need to watch the pups around it while it's on the ground. We've already had one slightly singed tail from a fly-by...

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3040061147.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	16480
Wife: NY
Me: IL
3 Akitas (RIP D-Dog)
biken201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 02:05 PM   #23

Coleman - ProCat Catalytic Heater with InstaStart Technology

Try one or two of these. They are made to be in enclosed areas like tents. They will run through one of the small bottles in about 8 hours or so but they work well. I have one of the earlier versions with no fan and it will warm quite a large area.
1971 Camaro restomod in progress...yeah right....
djorgensen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 02:44 PM   #24
Mod free 5er

I just wouldn't feel comfortable with an open combustion device inside a closed camper. Maybe in a tent that is not very airtight, but in a trailer, don't think so regardless of how safe the mfgr claims it is. Carbon Monoxide is colorless and odorless and just a little dangerous. LIKE DEADLY!
Old 07-14-2012, 03:10 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
I just wouldn't feel comfortable with an open combustion device inside a closed camper. Maybe in a tent that is not very airtight, but in a trailer, don't think so regardless of how safe the mfgr claims it is. Carbon Monoxide is colorless and odorless and just a little dangerous. LIKE DEADLY!
Those that I have seen have a built in carbon monoxide detector that turns them off before the carbon monoxide reaches a dangerous level.

Joel
Great Horned Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 03:25 PM   #26
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Horned Owl View Post
Those that I have seen have a built in carbon monoxide detector that turns them off before the carbon monoxide reaches a dangerous level.

Joel
No doubt they are safe, but I will continue to use my Edenair and the blower only on the furnace. We seldom use the furnace, but have wired a switch to run the blower without lighting the furnace. The Edenair has a separate circuit and breaker also.
Old 07-14-2012, 04:19 PM   #27

Quote:
No doubt they are safe, but I will continue to use my Edenair and the blower only on the furnace. We seldom use the furnace, but have wired a switch to run the blower without lighting the furnace. The Edenair has a separate circuit and breaker also.
The problem is that when boondocking, the furnace blower is the single biggest drain on the batteries. Night time temperatures in the mountains can drop below freezing, even in mid summer. It is nice to have a little heat without running the batteries down.

Joel
Old 07-14-2012, 04:46 PM   #28
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Horned Owl View Post
The problem is that when boondocking, the furnace blower is the single biggest drain on the batteries. Night time temperatures in the mountains can drop below freezing, even in mid summer. It is nice to have a little heat without running the batteries down.

Joel
Understand that, we never boondock anymore, we stay at campgrounds with full hookups. Too old for the boondocking scene. Did it from 1960 to 76 when we got our 1st 20' trailer.
Old 07-14-2012, 05:49 PM   #29

Quote:
Understand that, we never boondock anymore, we stay at campgrounds with full hookups. Too old for the boondocking scene. Did it from 1960 to 76 when we got our 1st 20' trailer.
DW & I are both 70. When will we get too old for boondocking?
Old 09-25-2012, 03:46 PM   #30

We use a Big Buddy in our MH in the winter time for extra heat in the front. I hook it to a 10 or 20 lb tank. we use a set of rechargable D batteries for the fan. always keep a window cracked open. When the generator is running, we put the batteries in the charger. it doesn't need the batteries to be effective.
akcampr is offline   Reply With Quote