Old 04-07-2015, 03:49 PM   #11
Moderators' Assistant
Originally Posted by Scootdawg View Post
I have no idea also about the inverter etc. But in the F150 forums that I found this answer to, the RV battery only charges when the truck is running, when the power is off, the RV battery is not being charged by the alternator, thus it is running off the RV battery.

Sorry for jumping in, I dont have a 377flik, I was just chiming in on the charging that the 2014 F150 does. (my model F150)
if you tested the charging wire from the pigtail, i think you'd be surprised how little juice is provided.
most tow vehicles only provide a trickle charge to the trailer battery, while traveling. also, using an idling vehicle to recharge the trailer battery, is the most inefficient and wasteful way to do it. should only be done in an emergency.

some trucks, especially the bigger ones, have thicker wire or a second alternator that will provide a much better charging source.

Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 06:37 AM   #12
I tried running my refrigerator of the inverter for the first time, yesterday, but noticed that the light inside did not come on when the door is opened. does this mean that the refrigerator is not running. I know on regular household refrigerators this would indicate no power. The inverter light was on.

2015 Siera 377FLIK
2014 Ford F350 KR
Molly the new Chihuahua
Cricket the Chihuahua RIP
Steve & Jojo
stevewise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 07:14 AM   #13
Originally Posted by stevewise View Post
I have a Sierra 377FLIK with a house hold refrigerator,and a 1000 watt inverter just for the refrigerator. How long can I expect the battery to last while towing? This is the first non-propane refrigerator I have had.
I have a Columbus 365RL with a residential frig. I only have one battery that came with the trailer. As long as the TV is running it's charging the battery and you won't have an issue. Now the other question I wanted to know was how long the battery would last on it's own running the frig. I tested this and found that it was only about three hours. I hope that helps
Columbus 365RL
Powered by a Ford F-350 Super Duty Diesel
armulle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 07:41 AM   #14
Originally Posted by stevewise View Post
I tried running my refrigerator of the inverter for the first time, yesterday, but noticed that the light inside did not come on when the door is opened. does this mean that the refrigerator is not running. I know on regular household refrigerators this would indicate no power. The inverter light was on.
That's tough to answer, if you have a multimeter check to make sure you have power to the bulb first. If you have power, bad bulb. If you do not have power then you going to have to start to trace 12v from the inverter forward. Is that the only outlet on the inverter? If not you can try an outlet and see if you have power there to make sure it's working if your inverter ties more in. Did you check your breakers and fuses? It's probably something simple, but you going to need a meter to tell. Hope that gives you some idea's to try. Good Luck
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 09:36 PM   #15
Suggest that a dedicated PAIR of batteries just for the refrigerator is needed for a DAYS use in most cases. (Obviously dependent on outside temps and how often the door is opened. Figure 200 amp hours of deep cycle batterypower...which gives you 100amp hours of USABLE battery power before needing a recharge. Figure your inverter will EAT about 10% of the power available at a minimum so that leaves 90 amp hours to run the fridge.
The key for you is to figure out how many watts your fridge uses during the course of a day. May I suggest you get one of these for $20 bucks and then you will know what you use in a typical day and how much battery power you will need to create those watts. Kill A Watt Electricity Usage Meter P4400
I would not count on your truck for much other than keeping your other house batteries topped up.
Good luck.
2015 Georgetown 280DS
2014 Vespa LX150 2014 StellaAuto 125
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 11:48 AM   #16
I have the residential fridge and 1000 watt inverter. Rather than run my battery down while on the road I freeze water bottles in the freezer. When we are ready to leave I put some in the fridge and leave some in the freezer. The ice keeps the fridge cold all day. The ones in the freezer never even thaw out.

If you have something that needs to be kept extra cold put it in a plastic bag along with the frozen water bottles. The bag will keep the cold next to the food.

I have quite a bit of experience with sailboats. They install 'cold plate' refrigerators in yachts - basically the compressor freezes a cold plate that is filled with liquid and the frozen plates hold the temps in the fridge for 24 hours in tropical heat. Same concept freezing water bottles in my residential fridge.

If you want to run the inverter off the truck consider using one of your upfitter switches to power an extra line to the trailer battery via a charge controller. My F250 has 2 25 amp upfitter positions.

There is a guy on youtube who mainly boondocks and runs everything off electric. He's got some big batteries and he started out by carrying some portable solar panels that he set up by his rv worked great and he could max them by pointing towards the sun during the day. Later he went to panels on the roof but if you want to keep from having a huge battery bank add enough solar to run the fridge during the day and you'll only need a night's worth of battery. Forgive the over the top cute of the video Portable Power – Solar more connected than Kevin Bacon

Brentf is offline   Reply With Quote

battery, refrigerator