Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2018, 01:29 PM   #41

You can buy $175w US made solar panels for $165. Why pay the same amount or more for Chinese made Renogy panels?
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 04:39 PM   #42

Solar:

1. "Solar Ready" is a marketing tool. Period. Zamp switched polarity to make it "proprietary" but it is still a marketing tool. Inadequate gauge wire, no controller. Ignore or remove.
2. USA made panels are readily available. No shipping.
3. Size only matter in batteries and panels. The size of your RV means only real estate to put up your panels.
4. I used a pro installer, who does RV's exclusively. Do NOT use the RV dealer.

My system has 4 6 volt golf cart batteries (210 amp/hours each) hooked up as two 12 volt banks, for a total of 440 amp/hours. I am completely charged by 10 am most days. 4 175 watt panels with tilts. 3,000 watt inverter charger, charge controller. Monitor and remote control.
For cloudy days, I have a 5.5 Onan in the usual place.
Toy Hauler.
Look up Brian Boone on Facebook, he has a ton of information on systems, including buy lists for DIY. Small , Medium and Large systems.
Tiger Force Medic, 68/69
hankpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 04:42 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberrick1 View Post
Mmmnn, I think I just got hosed. I bought a portable 80W suitcase system from my dealer for $500+ looks like a great setup with controller, extention cable and several adapters.
If that is the 80 watt portable Zamp system, that is pretty much the price. They have pretty high prices. Here is the Amazon link (not an affiliate link. I am not an Amazon affiliate)

https://www.amazon.com/Zamp-solar-80...rds=ZS-US-80-P
KevK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 09:12 PM   #44

Solar topics are becoming more and more like which generator is best for me topics on this site ;-) I wish that solar and electrical threads were only replied to by people who actually installed a functioning solar system and have 3% less in voltage losses and a system that actually functions as it should.

Hiring someone to install your system doesn't make a person an expert unless they designed it in its entirety and needed help with some of the manual labor.
Commenting on someone who left a solar apprenticeship and advocating not to use their services is not being cordial. I would comment that readers should not follow your advice regarding solar because it implies you had to pay someone to do your install for you and that doesn't make one an expert in its design and installation.

Solar isn't rocket science and is very easy to figure out and understand with a little bit of study.

Handybob's website is a good starting point but some of his information is a little dated.

Lots of underwired and underperforming systems are out there. Any wiring factory installed should not be used unless it is to route more appropriate thicker gauge wire for a real system.

Based on the number of responses on this forum, one could conclude that a large percentage of members here are dedicated boondockers that rely solely on solar power for their power needs when camping off grid. However, I truly doubt this is the case as there are too many pictures and posts referencing powered campgrounds.

Kinda reminds me of a neighbor who brags about his factory rv solar system on his small toyhauler. He has a 100 watt panel and a small converter going into a single Group 27 battery. His impressive solar system doesn't allow microwave use, hairdryer or coffee maker use and he runs his generator about 3-4 hours/day. He can run his TV at night for several hours and usually ends up with a battery near death each morning from his heater running overnight. His factory solar system doesn't have a battery monitor such as Victron or Trimetric one. I chuckle whenever he chimes in that he has solar too when I'm discussing my over engineered solar system that typically never goes below 10% depth of discharge over the course of a normal day and night's use and has no problem running a 1500 watt heater for 3-4 hours without going below 50% dod.

One installer referenced, Brian Boon seems to do a clean install. My only concern based on pictures posted on FB is that I personally would never run positive and negative wire leads next to each other or zip tie them together without using some kind of conduit to prevent chaffing of the insulation which could cause a short. When I have some time, I can post some pics of actual wire chaffing caused from similar installs.
Ilovemywife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 07:57 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovemywife View Post
Solar topics are becoming more and more like which generator is best for me topics on this site ;-) I wish that solar and electrical threads were only replied to by people who actually installed a functioning solar system and have 3% less in voltage losses and a system that actually functions as it should.

Hiring someone to install your system doesn't make a person an expert unless they designed it in its entirety and needed help with some of the manual labor.
Commenting on someone who left a solar apprenticeship and advocating not to use their services is not being cordial. I would comment that readers should not follow your advice regarding solar because it implies you had to pay someone to do your install for you and that doesn't make one an expert in its design and installation.

Solar isn't rocket science and is very easy to figure out and understand with a little bit of study.

Handybob's website is a good starting point but some of his information is a little dated.

Lots of underwired and underperforming systems are out there. Any wiring factory installed should not be used unless it is to route more appropriate thicker gauge wire for a real system.

Based on the number of responses on this forum, one could conclude that a large percentage of members here are dedicated boondockers that rely solely on solar power for their power needs when camping off grid. However, I truly doubt this is the case as there are too many pictures and posts referencing powered campgrounds.

Kinda reminds me of a neighbor who brags about his factory rv solar system on his small toyhauler. He has a 100 watt panel and a small converter going into a single Group 27 battery. His impressive solar system doesn't allow microwave use, hairdryer or coffee maker use and he runs his generator about 3-4 hours/day. He can run his TV at night for several hours and usually ends up with a battery near death each morning from his heater running overnight. His factory solar system doesn't have a battery monitor such as Victron or Trimetric one. I chuckle whenever he chimes in that he has solar too when I'm discussing my over engineered solar system that typically never goes below 10% depth of discharge over the course of a normal day and night's use and has no problem running a 1500 watt heater for 3-4 hours without going below 50% dod.

One installer referenced, Brian Boon seems to do a clean install. My only concern based on pictures posted on FB is that I personally would never run positive and negative wire leads next to each other or zip tie them together without using some kind of conduit to prevent chaffing of the insulation which could cause a short. When I have some time, I can post some pics of actual wire chaffing caused from similar installs.
I am a DIY addict. I started a need for a CPAP without campground power. I have read and posted questions here as part of my research. I was limited by what I could get shipped free to Alaska. Amazon was my source for my solar panels. I designed the system but hired a custom RV shop to install because of my health.

I do not want to hijack this thread with all my details.
Read about the solar install here:
Expanding compartment space for 2200 Watt Inverter/Charger
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 08:16 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
You can buy $175w US made solar panels for $165. Why pay the same amount or more for Chinese made Renogy panels?
Well unfortunately we already recently bought/installed a 400 Watt Renogy setup we’ve been quite happy with, but would like to know more about these US panels. Can you provide some info on where to get US made 175 watt for $165? Thanks!
Jpontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 09:15 AM   #47
Recently new!

Send a message via AIM to Paulie1138
Here is how I approached my install. Likewise, I am a D.I.Y addict, and am always willing to try something different. What follows is a different way to skin the solar cat. I will add, we boondock most of the time, and go to regular campgrounds to dump, use the electricity if we need air conditioning, or in town to restock or sightsee.

Looked into several ideas. Bought much of my stuff from Craigslist. (Except the Trimetric, circuit breakers, and a few bits here and there). After much overthinking this, went with MPPT. Morningstar (Victron makes a great one too) and two commercial/residential high voltage panels. 48v, 9.9 amps each. Just a bit larger and heavier (not by much) than the 100w Renology panels (12v @ 5.5 amps). Fewer panels needed. Mounted them flat on the roof, with provisions to tilt if I have to, but have not had to yet. I went with the permanent mount as I did not want my ground mounted panels to ‘grow legs’ if i was away.

I found there to be a glut of used residential or commercial panels on CL around here, and had mine gifted to me as they did not work (bad connectors on the pigtail....and 10 yers old) Just saw here on CL, some 315 watt panels, 44v @ 9.9 amps, never installed for 85.00. Has a few scratches....etc....but not used.

After the MPPT converter divides the 48v to battery voltage (13V or more depending on charge needs), the current gets multiplied by a like factor. So, possible to get nearly 35-40 amps per panel (in theory, but nothing is 100%) with only minimal roof space. Plus, this style panel seems to work better in partial sun, (or shade) due to the higher voltages being able to get the processes going in the converter.

No matter how you approach this, I suggest fat gauge cables, installed properly, room for expansion (on the roof or ground mount) and a battery monitor, like Victron or Trimetric. Also, get an idea of your needs/wants so you know how much power you will need before you start. This way, you will know your baseline consumption which determines how big you need to go. If you know any electrical friends, they often have conduit, parts, and wire left over they may give you!

We use the microwave as needed -I do try to keep it minimal after sundown, like popping corn at night. Heater, tv, lights, wife’s CPAP, water pump. Have yet to go below 50% with two 6v batteries, and we are charged by 10am, even while cloudy) This winter, we will see how this changes) My system will run the A/C.....for about 10 minutes before frying the batteries....so do not try before you fry....lol.

Just back from over 7 weeks out, have a 1000 watt generator that we never had to use. Was thinking of getting one big enough to run the AC, but....at what cost in $$, space and weight..or theft.

Due to the high cost of Lithium, (Battleborn is a great battery, by the way-just wish I could afford them!) I am looking into converting used lithium’s from hybrid cars, but still in the research stage, and will post on that if I try to fry myself....

I have posted this in another forum going on here, and don’t wish to Hijack. Just food for your amps....lol.
Loving wife, R.I.P., 6/6/19
and Mason the always dirty dog! R.I.P, 2/19
Paulie1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 10:19 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpontheroad View Post
Well unfortunately we already recently bought/installed a 400 Watt Renogy setup we’ve been quite happy with, but would like to know more about these US panels. Can you provide some info on where to get US made 175 watt for $165? Thanks!
They are actually 180W now for $165
https://www.continuousresources.com/...al-solar-panel

They also have 200W ones for $185
https://www.continuousresources.com/...panel-5-busbar

Matt is the name of the guy that runs this company. I bought my Victron BMV-712 from him for $185
Old 08-28-2018, 11:52 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
They are actually 180W now for $165
https://www.continuousresources.com/...al-solar-panel

They also have 200W ones for $185
https://www.continuousresources.com/...panel-5-busbar

Matt is the name of the guy that runs this company. I bought my Victron BMV-712 from him for $185
Well sheeettt! Oh well, I guess the next rig we do I’ll go that route haha. For now we’re happy with the Renogy setup, but I’d rather buy American if possible and close in cost.
Jpontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 02:44 PM   #50

Odds are, the photovoltaic cells in that American made panel were manufactured in China. In 2015, 10 out of the top 10 photovoltaic cell manufacturers have an Asian connection, 9 of those are Chinese. That probably comes from the toxic waste that comes from their manufacture and China and other Asian countries not having as strong environmental regulations.

If an item is made up of all Chinese parts, but assembled in America, is it made in America?
joeuncool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 03:04 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeuncool View Post
If an item is made up of all Chinese parts, but assembled in America, is it made in America?
As a matter of fact...yes!
Old 11-09-2018, 09:08 AM   #52

Solar Install on TC Popup Roof?

2016 FR Pal Backpack SS1500 truck camper
Wondering if a 200 watt system is light enough to install on the roof?
Anyone have any issues with the lift system not being able to manage this?
Thanks!
carriemiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 09:25 AM   #53

my two 100w panels weight probably 20lbs each
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar