Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2019, 06:25 PM   #21

We just got the chance to try out our 100W panel this past week. Camping in the mountains with shade and overcast some days I had to run the generator an hour or so in the morning, then the solar took over. We just moved to a lake and have full sun. It looks like the solar will do it, of course this is based on one day. We only run lights, water pump & the standard drains and are usually gone most of the day. We have 2 group 24 batteries.
We like to camp in the shade so when the trees get leaves I don't think the 1 solar panel will be enough but will still help.
Old 04-02-2019, 08:18 AM   #22

We like to camp in the shade so when the trees get leaves I don't think the 1 solar panel will be enough but will still help.[/QUOTE]

So our last Class C I put 1 100watt panel on it with 2 batteries. The new Class C I have 2 100watt panels going on it. Haven't had the time to install them yet.
Philkaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 07:56 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieL View Post
We just got the chance to try out our 100W panel this past week. Camping in the mountains with shade and overcast some days I had to run the generator an hour or so in the morning, then the solar took over. We just moved to a lake and have full sun. It looks like the solar will do it, of course this is based on one day. We only run lights, water pump & the standard drains and are usually gone most of the day. We have 2 group 24 batteries.
We like to camp in the shade so when the trees get leaves I don't think the 1 solar panel will be enough but will still help.
One day of morning rain but full sun in the afternoon and the second day of full sun. No generator needed.
Old 04-04-2019, 11:03 AM   #24

I have one on the roof and one that plugs into the side that I can move when parked in shade. Works great!

EDIT:
Don't understand why some think solar is not cost effective. It is far cheaper than most of the generators people say they use. I understand some may have different power needs that might prevent solar usage, such as a need for A/C, but, that is the only thing solar isn't cost effective for.

Not to irritate anyone, but, I will never understand the use of a noisy generator. Such noise. Ruins the experience. To each his own.
Old 04-04-2019, 12:21 PM   #25

Everyone lumps an inverter in with solar. To me, they're separate systems and a separate requirement. Nearly everything can be 12V.
aeblank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 12:27 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeblank View Post
Everyone lumps an inverter in with solar. To me, they're separate systems and a separate requirement. Nearly everything can be 12V.
And if you take it further, nearly everything can be non electric, so no need for either
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 12:29 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
And if you take it further, nearly everything can be non electric, so no need for either
I want a propane-television like none other!
aeblank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 04:15 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS Stanley View Post
I have one on the roof and one that plugs into the side that I can move when parked in shade. Works great!

EDIT:
Don't understand why some think solar is not cost effective. It is far cheaper than most of the generators people say they use. I understand some may have different power needs that might prevent solar usage, such as a need for A/C, but, that is the only thing solar isn't cost effective for.

Not to irritate anyone, but, I will never understand the use of a noisy generator. Such noise. Ruins the experience. To each his own.

I agree. But as to the AC our 2000 watt inverter has a remote on/off and it will pull the micro, wife's hairdryer or curling iron. If she does it after dark, it leaves us a bit thin for my 32 inch smart TV, which runs off 12 v, if we need the heater much, so she trys to do her hair drying during full solar charging hours, but either way, we always get by, with out pulling the batteries below 12.2 volts

That's 2 golf cart wet lead batteries and a killer 380 watt flat mounted on the roof solar system.
NO MORE Tricked out
2017 Sandstorm 250 T.H.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 08:29 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom48 View Post
so she trys to do her hair drying during full solar charging hours

Can't she hang her head out the window as you drive down the highway?

Old 04-09-2019, 11:37 AM   #30

Several years ago I wondered the same thing. I bought a 2000 watt generator, but don't use it much. Noisy, sometimes hard to start. Gas gets stale.

Now I picked up a great used Rockwood and am planning some solar. It is a complicated topic. A 100-200 watt system can be had for around $250-400. It is worth to buy upgraded components like monocrystalline panels, MTTP controller, and upgraded batteries. I plan to spend around $450 for the system, plus a new ATM battery 100 amp/hrs around $170. The generator cost around $600 for a Generac. I look forward to nice quiet power in the middle of nowhere.

With a portable system you can park in the shade and run your panels in the sun.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 08:32 AM   #31

I have a 2017 Rpod so it’s a small TT. I had one 100w panel installed on roof and two batteries, no inverter. I did buy a generator to run the AC. We boondock almost 100% of the time. We just got back from a 22 night trip through the SW and eastern California. I used the gen about 5 times for about two hours max at any one time for the AC, which would top off the batteries. Other than that solar took care of all our needs. Lights, stereo, pump, and furnace. We’ve taken it out for 2-4 nighters all last year with just solar with no problems. We have no regrets that I added solar. We live in SW Colorado so it’s either high desert or mountains, but I try and find a spot in the sun when in the mountains.
Woody1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 09:42 AM   #32

"Solar is too expensive" says a guy with 2 Honda generators. That is funny.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 09:49 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppine View Post
"Solar is too expensive" says a guy with 2 Honda generators. That is funny.
What's really funny is everyone I know that has solar, also has generators
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 10:13 AM   #34
Recently new!

Send a message via AIM to Paulie1138
Solar user here with no generator. Last summer, 4 consecutive weeks off grid. Used a macerated and tote as needed. Solar and inverter met all our electrical needs. Batteries always 100% long before sundown. However, A/C was not needed. We just use a CG if A/C, laundry or resupply is needed. At which point, we dump tanks and restock.
Loving wife, R.I.P., 6/6/19
and Mason the always dirty dog! R.I.P, 2/19
Paulie1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 10:26 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
I have 2 100AH Battleborn lithium batteries and 700W of solar and have never used my generator which I only bring on very long trips as a "just in case". For a week long trip, it stays at home.
A neighbor has been ALL solar for years and maintains systems for other home owners in the area. He claims lithium aren't great for solar and that lead-acid is best.

What's been your experience with the lithiums and did your decision to use them have more to do with the weight savings?

Run a lithium battery on my motorcycle and it's AMAZING, but it's only kicking over a 200cc engine..
Old 04-12-2019, 10:54 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by txarsoncop View Post
A neighbor has been ALL solar for years and maintains systems for other home owners in the area. He claims lithium aren't great for solar and that lead-acid is best.

What's been your experience with the lithiums and did your decision to use them have more to do with the weight savings?

Run a lithium battery on my motorcycle and it's AMAZING, but it's only kicking over a 200cc engine..

I liked the 3,000 - 5,000 Cycles, 10 Year Warranty, 30% Solar Tax credit, weight savings & NO Acid Corrosion.
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 03:40 PM   #37

Good solar info here.
https://handybobsolar.wordpress.com/...ging-puzzle-2/
Old 04-12-2019, 03:58 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th day View Post
Have to take everything that guy says with a grain of salt.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 04:05 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by txarsoncop View Post

Would love to hear why he thinks that. Most new solar installs with battery storage are all lithium these days.

Weight savings, not worrying about them having to be fully charged, they accept pretty much all the current you can throw at them, deeper discharge, lower impedence so lower voltage drop with inverters, no maintenance...
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 05:21 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Need more information. What size capacity is your battery? How may AH do you use in a day?

I have 2 100AH Battleborn lithium batteries and 700W of solar and have never used my generator which I only bring on very long trips as a "just in case". For a week long trip, it stays at home.

With a PWM controller, each 100W panel will give you around 15AH/day assuming they are flat mounted. If you can tilt or move them around, you can get close to 20AH/day.

Each 100W panel outputs 5A peak which will happen only under ideal conditions.
That sounds perfect
RET.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar