Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2018, 03:55 PM   #1

Solar plug on the side of my trailer?

My trailer has a plug on the side for solar. I have looked through all the info that came with the trailer but cant find anything telling me what will fit it. I would like to find something that will help keep the batteries charged during the day when I am not running the generators. Has anyone used that plug? What would I need to buy to utilize it. I have never used any kind of solar equipment before. Dont want to spend a bunch on it, just something that will help keep the batteries up in the daytime. Thanks.
Old 09-09-2018, 04:39 PM   #2

I think a zamp connector will plug into that. get a 100 watt solar suitcase and put the zamp solar connector on it and should be golden. Now some trailers came wired with a solar charge controller, might want to chk if you have one. I would think you do, if that came new on the trailer
Craigrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 04:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_allison510 View Post
My trailer has a plug on the side for solar. I have looked through all the info that came with the trailer but cant find anything telling me what will fit it. I would like to find something that will help keep the batteries charged during the day when I am not running the generators. Has anyone used that plug? What would I need to buy to utilize it. I have never used any kind of solar equipment before. Dont want to spend a bunch on it, just something that will help keep the batteries up in the daytime. Thanks.
Yeah, Zamp is the only one I've ever seen pre-installed. If you don't use a Zamp system, remember Zamp reverses the polarity just to be different. Research first.
wherewolf17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 04:46 PM   #4
Site Team - Lou

That is because it is just a wire that goes to the battery.
You have to be kidding me!

The MUCH hyped "solar prep" is just a place to plug in a complete system that includes the panel and solar controller.

https://www.rvautoparts.com/ZS-RV-RO...oaAtG-EALw_wcB

I will be disconnecting the wires from the battery and attach it to an MPPT solar charge controller. That way I will only need to connect the panels to the outside connector and not the entire system.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 04:58 PM   #5

It says furion on the plug if that matters. I dont have to use the plug. Just thought it would be handy since I have 2 batteries. I didnt even know that I needed a solar controller. So learned something already.
Old 09-09-2018, 05:02 PM   #6

And I am fairly certain that I dont have a controller pre installed.
Old 09-09-2018, 05:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post

I will be disconnecting the wires from the battery and attach it to an MPPT solar charge controller. That way I will only need to connect the panels to the outside connector and not the entire system.
I just finished doing that. I left the Zamp "port" installed and just got an "SAE Connector kit (two rubber connectors on a loop of two wires) from the Auto Parts store. Looks just like a flat trailer wiring connector but with only two wires.

Matching polarity is no big deal. Just make sure to match the + from the panels to the + connection on the Controller. Wire color doesn't matter if you are using a meter.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 05:34 PM   #8

So I have been looking through some solar kits on Amazon. I found the adapter that will plug into my port. But most of the "suitcase" style kits that I am finding have alligator clips. I am still confused about the solar controller to. Some have it mounted to the panel. And some say to mount it to the trailer. I would like something that I just plug into the port and "set it and forget it" type of thing. I dont really have a set budget in mind. Could I get something that I am looking for for $500? Thanks guys.
Old 09-09-2018, 05:37 PM   #9
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
It says furion on the plug if that matters. I dont have to use the plug. Just thought it would be handy since I have 2 batteries. I didnt even know that I needed a solar controller. So learned something already.
It is a thinly veiled advertisement for a profit add at the dealer. The "suitcase" solar panel sold by dealers has the controller installed under the panel.

https://www.amazon.com/Renogy-Watts-...907218730&th=1

Amazon has a similar sized suitcase for more than half the price of the ones carried by RV dealers. Shop around and you will find you can build your own for even less.
Old 09-09-2018, 05:45 PM   #10
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
So I have been looking through some solar kits on Amazon. I found the adapter that will plug into my port. But most of the "suitcase" style kits that I am finding have alligator clips. I am still confused about the solar controller to. Some have it mounted to the panel. And some say to mount it to the trailer. I would like something that I just plug into the port and "set it and forget it" type of thing. I dont really have a set budget in mind. Could I get something that I am looking for for $500? Thanks guys.
Once you install the controller inside the compartment, it will be plug and forget. Well, Plug and turn and turn and turn …..

You will still need to put the panel(s) in direct sunlight and turn it as the day progresses to get as close to 90 degree incidence as possible.

The controller only has 4 connections. Two go to the panel and two go to the battery. The hardest part is finding a place to screw it to the wall and making sure the Plusses go to plusses and minuses go to minuses … LOL

You can buy the panels for about a dollar a watt delivered (https://www.amazon.com/HQST-Watt-Pol...ds=solar+panel) and a good MPPT controller is about 30 bucks (https://www.amazon.com/AOSHIKE-Contr...70_&dpSrc=srch)

So a wire it yourself 100 Watt system will set you back 140 bucks tops.

For the price of the 100 watt suitcase all in one "just plug it in" unit, you can get a 325 watt 1 panel system (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CCH3YBQ..._t2_B00ZIZ6VY6) plus the controller. (NOTE - You will need to pick it up in CA (LOL) the shipping will kill ya.)

https://www.amazon.com/Newpowa-Solar...CE61C32VCMTQWJ

Here is 160 watt panel ships free for 164 dollars.
Herk
Old 09-09-2018, 05:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
It is a thinly veiled advertisement for a profit add at the dealer. The "suitcase" solar panel sold by dealers has the controller installed under the panel.

https://www.amazon.com/Renogy-Watts-...907218730&th=1

Amazon has a similar sized suitcase for more than half the price of the ones carried by RV dealers. Shop around and you will find you can build your own for even less.

Thanks!! So if I buy the kit you linked, then buy this:
https://www.amazon.com/SolaEnz-Adapt...tor+to+furrion

And this just in case I need to get it out of the shade:
https://www.amazon.com/SolaEnz-Adapt...2Bfurrion&th=1

I should be able to set it up, plug it into the furion port on my 5ver, and have charged batteries?
Old 09-09-2018, 06:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Just call Zamp and address your questions to a tech. Their solar suitcases have the charge controller built in. You can replace the clips with a plug and you'll be golden.
Luke Moseley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 06:18 PM   #13
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Thanks!! So if I buy the kit you linked, then buy this:
https://www.amazon.com/SolaEnz-Adapt...tor+to+furrion

And this just in case I need to get it out of the shade:
https://www.amazon.com/SolaEnz-Adapt...2Bfurrion&th=1

I should be able to set it up, plug it into the furion port on my 5ver, and have charged batteries?
Looks like that to me, too.
Old 09-10-2018, 12:21 PM   #14
mads

Quote:

I cut the alligator clips off and soldered the adapter on. I first slid heat shrink on the wires so I could seal the connection after I made it. Works just fine but it is mostly a power maintainer so don't expect to charge your batteries quickly.
Old 09-10-2018, 12:38 PM   #15

As others have said, check the polarity carefully. On my coach, the polarity was correct so I didn't need to "switch the wires".

I just use my solar to keep the batteries charged when the coach is stored for a long period. I use a 10 watt panel, a charge controller, and my batteries keep a good voltage level.

One advantage when you have a motorized coach, the solar panel charges both the house and engine batteries.
WayneLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 12:40 PM   #16

Solar plug

Any two prong solar plug will fit it with a male and female plug and there are a lot different system try Amazon you must also have a controller I made a wood frame so I can set it up on the ground
johnlochbuie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 12:45 PM   #17

If your unit is a 2018 the connector is most likely a Furruin 10 amp plugin. Is is just a plug with a 10A inline fuse. It is meant for one of those Furrion suitcase kits that come with the charge controller.

It will work with Furrion solar suitcase up to 95W. Anything over that will blow the fuse.
Road Tripper Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 01:12 PM   #18

Furion and Zamp "Solar prep"

I can't believe that RV. manufacturers haven't figured out that buyers are onto them. These "solar Ready" plugs are simply a marketing ploy.
Zamp reverses the polarity to make it "proprietary", so you can only buy their overpriced stuff. Furion and Zamp both simply put an underwired (read too small a wire) line to your battery. No charge controller, for a trickle charger.
The level of panel you would put on this sort of thing is probably at most a 20 watt panel for when the RV is UNUSED, sitting in storage to keep the battery hot. It would still require you to check the fluid level, once a month, and probably really should have a charge controller.
If you plan to use solar for battery replenishment while in use, you must do the following:
1. Enough batteries in amp/hours to maintain the usage/draw of daily use.
2. Enough panels to charge the batteries while being used, such that they are full when night falls.
3. a Charge controller to manage the input,
4. If using 120 AC items, an inverter, sufficient to power those devices.
To start, do a energy audit, that is add up all the amperage you are going to use on a daily basis.
Big items like Roof Air, Induction cooking, Microwave, hair dryers and toasters are all prohibitive. Once you have a total, you will see what each item is asking for the most power, and which of those can be reasonably cut and substituted with propane or 12 volt.
Consider this a basic primer. Each point requires a lot of research to be done right.
Leave the manufacturer "Solar Prep" alone.
Tiger Force Medic, 68/69
hankpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 02:02 PM   #19

If indeed it is a Zamp connector, all you need to do is buy a 100 or 120 watt suitcase system (Zamp) which comes with controller and you just need to plug it in. The only thing that I would suggest would be to buy a cord extender so you can move the suitcase panels around more to follow the sun. We love ours.
2015 Roo 21BD-L'ABode
lablover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 02:05 PM   #20

Quote:
In your documentation manuals and paperwork is there a brochure or card from Zamp in there? The Owners manual doesn't get into it much if at all.
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar, trailer