Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2018, 02:12 PM   #21

If you use Zamp it plugs right in to Zamp equipment. If it's a non Zamp install still no problem you just use a polarity reverse plug to get the Zamp plug going the way most of the way everyone else does it. It's like way back in the day when some tractors and cars used a positive ground on their DC system while everyone else used negative ground and still do. Well for some reason Zamp decided to be different and go their way. Puzzles many people at first when their solar aftermarket stuff doesn't work or blows a fuse in the solar regulator. Zamp is great stuff, but not work the price in my opinion compared to some of the fine alternatives. Quality and Type of solar does matter, so be careful at low prices and promises. It requires much homework to wade through all the technical and sales BS.
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 04:17 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_allison510 View Post
Thanks!! So if I buy the kit you linked, then buy this:
https://www.amazon.com/SolaEnz-Adapt...tor+to+furrion

And this just in case I need to get it out of the shade:
https://www.amazon.com/SolaEnz-Adapt...2Bfurrion&th=1

I should be able to set it up, plug it into the furion port on my 5ver, and have charged batteries?
I went with the 200w Windy Nation kit from their website. you have to mount it on the roof.
Philkaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 04:29 PM   #23

That is all wrong camp does not reversed the polarity and you do not to use furrion solar system I use a a 100 watt panel with controller on mine and it works just fine use it all the time when parked at home and there is no inline fuse it is wired straight to the battery there is no need for a fuse on solar systems
johnlochbuie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 05:24 PM   #24

Zamp plugs are reversed polarity from others. Read their documents that's where it comes from.

2019 Ford SD F-350 SRW Lariat
Tow & Gooseneck Prep
FX4 Off Road (4X4)
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 05:50 PM   #25

The plug on the side of my 5ver says furion 10 amp. I have no idea if there is a fuse. If there is and I have problems, I will just rewire with heavier gauge wire. And I have no idea about the zamp stuff. I didnt buy anything zamp. I bought this kit:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and this adapter so I can plug directly into the trailer, but also be able to use the alligator clips if need be:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And a set of mc4 heavy gauge extension cables just in case.

Seems like a pretty straight forward setup. I will double check the polarity at the plug just to be sure before I plug anything in.
Old 09-10-2018, 05:53 PM   #26

That's funny I plug in my solar panel and it charges my battery fine control shows green light if polarity was reversed would not get green light also have put volt meter on plug on side of trailer and hot side is on correct side
johnlochbuie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 06:47 PM   #27

Smile Renogy Solar Suitcase plugged into Zamp plug on trailer

We have a Rockwood trailer. Added 2X6volt golf cart batteries. Then we bought a Renogy 100 watt (there is also a 200 watt suitcase that they sell), a 20 foot cable and a MC4 to SAE adapter. The SAE adapter plugs into the Zamp port and charges the batteries. Works like a charm to keep us powered without using the generator as long as we have good sunshine. We had no problem with reverse polarity.
deewhite0612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 07:11 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by deewhite0612 View Post
We have a Rockwood trailer. Added 2X6volt golf cart batteries. Then we bought a Renogy 100 watt (there is also a 200 watt suitcase that they sell), a 20 foot cable and a MC4 to SAE adapter. The SAE adapter plugs into the Zamp port and charges the batteries. Works like a charm to keep us powered without using the generator as long as we have good sunshine. We had no problem with reverse polarity.
So what I am gathering is that some trailers come with a Zamp port and some come with a Furion port?
Old 09-10-2018, 08:06 PM   #29

Quote:
So what I am gathering is that some trailers come with a Zamp port and some come with a Furion port?
I guess so. I only know about Zamp because that is what our 2015 Rockwood has. Renogy helped me with what I needed to hook the Renogy Suitcase into the Zamp port. They were awesome.
Old 09-10-2018, 08:29 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by deewhite0612 View Post
I guess so. I only know about Zamp because that is what our 2015 Rockwood has. Renogy helped me with what I needed to hook the Renogy Suitcase into the Zamp port. They were awesome.
Glad to hear it. My Renogy kit will be here Wednesday. And really looking forward to testing it out this weekend at the lake.
Old 09-10-2018, 08:41 PM   #31

If your polarity is reversed, just switch the wires coming out of the controller.
Old 09-11-2018, 12:02 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlochbuie View Post
That is all wrong camp does not reversed the polarity and you do not to use furrion solar system I use a a 100 watt panel with controller on mine and it works just fine use it all the time when parked at home and there is no inline fuse it is wired straight to the battery there is no need for a fuse on solar systems
You are so wrong I can't even start. I am a technician with over 30 years experience, you do need a fuse inline
Philkaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 12:08 PM   #33

Confused

How do I post a question on something that is giving me fits
RonsOldHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 12:24 PM   #34
Empty Nesters

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonsOldHouse View Post
How do I post a question on something that is giving me fits
Go to the "Forums" tab on the top bar, select the proper forum(There is "General tech and repair" With sub forums like "Propane", Plumbing", "Electrical", etc).
Click on "New Thread", pick a descriptive title and ask away.
Old 09-19-2018, 08:48 PM   #35

So I had a chance to test out the solar kit this weekend. Can someone tell me how many amps I should be getting under full sun exposure on a nice day. I was getting about 4.5 consistently. No more, no less. This is on the controller. There is nothing in the owners manual about how much it should produce.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:07 PM   #36

A lot of variables for should. 100 watt panel putting out 17 volts you divide for amps. 5 or so amps. Sounds like ballpark to me.
wherewolf17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 04:23 AM   #37
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
My new Geo Pro is coming with a Go Power port (actually called an SAE connection. Don't know if it's reversed polarity like some Zamp stuff).
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 06:26 PM   #38

Just in case someone who reads this later needs to know. The adapter I linked above hooked right up to the furion port on the side of my unit. Polarity was correct and everything worked out great.

Now....for all you electrical wizards out there. At 4.5 amps charging, how long should it take to charge an average deep cycle battery that is showing 10.5v? Assuming there are no draws on the battery. A ball park guestimate would be great.
Old 09-20-2018, 06:40 PM   #39

Quote:
Just in case someone who reads this later needs to know. The adapter I linked above hooked right up to the furion port on the side of my unit. Polarity was correct and everything worked out great.

Now....for all you electrical wizards out there. At 4.5 amps charging, how long should it take to charge an average deep cycle battery that is showing 10.5v? Assuming there are no draws on the battery. A ball park guestimate would be great.
How many amp hour battery. If for example it's a 100 amp hour battery, you're looking at a multi day job if just using solar. Variables will be number of hours of sun, battery temperature, and since that battery is D-E-A-D, whether or not it can be charged to begin with.

If the battery will take a charge then plan on at least 24 hours of sun, enough to maintain that 4.5 amp charge rate.

Me? I'd be either "plugging in" or running a generator on that battery first.

Good luck.

BTW, from what I've learned, depending on season and location good sun is available 6-8 hours per day. Just guessing that the hypothetical battery I mentioned would take 3-4 days to fully charge on solar at that rate.
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 08:06 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
How many amp hour battery. If for example it's a 100 amp hour battery, you're looking at a multi day job if just using solar. Variables will be number of hours of sun, battery temperature, and since that battery is D-E-A-D, whether or not it can be charged to begin with.

If the battery will take a charge then plan on at least 24 hours of sun, enough to maintain that 4.5 amp charge rate.

Me? I'd be either "plugging in" or running a generator on that battery first.

Good luck.

BTW, from what I've learned, depending on season and location good sun is available 6-8 hours per day. Just guessing that the hypothetical battery I mentioned would take 3-4 days to fully charge on solar at that rate.

It was just a hypothetical situation. Last I checked the battery was at 12.2v. Inverter is off so hoping it is still at that. I just kinda wanted a ball park estimate on how much charge I could produce in a day. I dont bookdock for long periods of time and always have to run the ac at night so I have to run the gen anyway.

Tags
solar, trailer