Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2018, 03:55 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 67
Solar plug on the side of my trailer?

My trailer has a plug on the side for solar. I have looked through all the info that came with the trailer but cant find anything telling me what will fit it. I would like to find something that will help keep the batteries charged during the day when I am not running the generators. Has anyone used that plug? What would I need to buy to utilize it. I have never used any kind of solar equipment before. Dont want to spend a bunch on it, just something that will help keep the batteries up in the daytime. Thanks.
__________________

__________________
"Slightly Modified" 2013 Ram 2500 Cummins MegaCab
2018 Heritage Glen 372RD 43ft.
k_allison510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 04:39 PM   #2
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 20
I think a zamp connector will plug into that. get a 100 watt solar suitcase and put the zamp solar connector on it and should be golden. Now some trailers came wired with a solar charge controller, might want to chk if you have one. I would think you do, if that came new on the trailer
__________________

Craigrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 04:46 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by k_allison510 View Post
My trailer has a plug on the side for solar. I have looked through all the info that came with the trailer but cant find anything telling me what will fit it. I would like to find something that will help keep the batteries charged during the day when I am not running the generators. Has anyone used that plug? What would I need to buy to utilize it. I have never used any kind of solar equipment before. Dont want to spend a bunch on it, just something that will help keep the batteries up in the daytime. Thanks.
Yeah, Zamp is the only one I've ever seen pre-installed. If you don't use a Zamp system, remember Zamp reverses the polarity just to be different. Research first.
wherewolf17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 04:46 PM   #4
Site Team - Lou
 
Herk7769's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Eastern PA
Posts: 21,780
That is because it is just a wire that goes to the battery.
You have to be kidding me!

The MUCH hyped "solar prep" is just a place to plug in a complete system that includes the panel and solar controller.

https://www.rvautoparts.com/ZS-RV-RO...oaAtG-EALw_wcB

I will be disconnecting the wires from the battery and attach it to an MPPT solar charge controller. That way I will only need to connect the panels to the outside connector and not the entire system.
__________________
Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2019 Flagstaff 8529FLS - Pullrite 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 04:58 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 67
It says furion on the plug if that matters. I dont have to use the plug. Just thought it would be handy since I have 2 batteries. I didnt even know that I needed a solar controller. So learned something already.
__________________
"Slightly Modified" 2013 Ram 2500 Cummins MegaCab
2018 Heritage Glen 372RD 43ft.
k_allison510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 05:02 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 67
And I am fairly certain that I dont have a controller pre installed.
__________________
"Slightly Modified" 2013 Ram 2500 Cummins MegaCab
2018 Heritage Glen 372RD 43ft.
k_allison510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 05:28 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: North of Seattle, WA
Posts: 2,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post

I will be disconnecting the wires from the battery and attach it to an MPPT solar charge controller. That way I will only need to connect the panels to the outside connector and not the entire system.
I just finished doing that. I left the Zamp "port" installed and just got an "SAE Connector kit (two rubber connectors on a loop of two wires) from the Auto Parts store. Looks just like a flat trailer wiring connector but with only two wires.

Matching polarity is no big deal. Just make sure to match the + from the panels to the + connection on the Controller. Wire color doesn't matter if you are using a meter.
__________________
I have it on my dog's authority that an afternoon nap is acceptable.

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan

"2004" Male Shih-Tsu Co-Pilot
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 05:34 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 67
So I have been looking through some solar kits on Amazon. I found the adapter that will plug into my port. But most of the "suitcase" style kits that I am finding have alligator clips. I am still confused about the solar controller to. Some have it mounted to the panel. And some say to mount it to the trailer. I would like something that I just plug into the port and "set it and forget it" type of thing. I dont really have a set budget in mind. Could I get something that I am looking for for $500? Thanks guys.
__________________
"Slightly Modified" 2013 Ram 2500 Cummins MegaCab
2018 Heritage Glen 372RD 43ft.
k_allison510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 05:37 PM   #9
Site Team - Lou
 
Herk7769's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Eastern PA
Posts: 21,780
Quote:
Originally Posted by k_allison510 View Post
It says furion on the plug if that matters. I dont have to use the plug. Just thought it would be handy since I have 2 batteries. I didnt even know that I needed a solar controller. So learned something already.
It is a thinly veiled advertisement for a profit add at the dealer. The "suitcase" solar panel sold by dealers has the controller installed under the panel.

https://www.amazon.com/Renogy-Watts-...907218730&th=1

Amazon has a similar sized suitcase for more than half the price of the ones carried by RV dealers. Shop around and you will find you can build your own for even less.
__________________
Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2019 Flagstaff 8529FLS - Pullrite 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 05:45 PM   #10
Site Team - Lou
 
Herk7769's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Eastern PA
Posts: 21,780
Quote:
Originally Posted by k_allison510 View Post
So I have been looking through some solar kits on Amazon. I found the adapter that will plug into my port. But most of the "suitcase" style kits that I am finding have alligator clips. I am still confused about the solar controller to. Some have it mounted to the panel. And some say to mount it to the trailer. I would like something that I just plug into the port and "set it and forget it" type of thing. I dont really have a set budget in mind. Could I get something that I am looking for for $500? Thanks guys.
Once you install the controller inside the compartment, it will be plug and forget. Well, Plug and turn and turn and turn …..

You will still need to put the panel(s) in direct sunlight and turn it as the day progresses to get as close to 90 degree incidence as possible.

The controller only has 4 connections. Two go to the panel and two go to the battery. The hardest part is finding a place to screw it to the wall and making sure the Plusses go to plusses and minuses go to minuses … LOL

You can buy the panels for about a dollar a watt delivered (https://www.amazon.com/HQST-Watt-Pol...ds=solar+panel) and a good MPPT controller is about 30 bucks (https://www.amazon.com/AOSHIKE-Contr...70_&dpSrc=srch)

So a wire it yourself 100 Watt system will set you back 140 bucks tops.

For the price of the 100 watt suitcase all in one "just plug it in" unit, you can get a 325 watt 1 panel system (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CCH3YBQ..._t2_B00ZIZ6VY6) plus the controller. (NOTE - You will need to pick it up in CA (LOL) the shipping will kill ya.)

https://www.amazon.com/Newpowa-Solar...CE61C32VCMTQWJ

Here is 160 watt panel ships free for 164 dollars.
Herk
__________________

__________________
Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2019 Flagstaff 8529FLS - Pullrite 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
solar, trailer

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:54 AM.