Old 05-10-2011, 11:47 AM   #21
Computer Guy

I am thinking about making my own frame. Just wondering if i can make it sturdy enough.

Check out these evergreen panels. SUN Laminate 148 Watts 24.30 Vmp Poly-Crystalline [Sun-P-148] - $145.04 :

2006 Rockwood 8314SS Ultralight Trailer

2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Mega Cab Laramie 5.9 Diesel

1996 Chevy Tahoe 2 Door Lifted 4 Inches. 5.7 V8

Thousand Trails Member www.1000trails.com

Out of Elk Grove California, near Sacramento.
Jimmy-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 01:26 PM   #22

I bought some panels from Harbor Freight, only 45 watts, but I don't really use much power in the trailer, (no radio, TV, very rarely use the heater, minimal lights at night) I haven't had the chance to try them yet.

I did however build my own frame, I don't have pictures yet but basicly it is a 38"x38"x4" brief case out of wood. I used a piano hinge and chains to open and keep the angle correct, I placed two bubble floats - one at 50 degrees and one at 60 degrees. If my angle is between the two bubbles I should be between 50 and 60 degrees. It's sturdy enough to protect the glass panels, I need to get a large piece of plexiglass for the front to protect the glass when it is set up. When closed up, I can just place it on our bed for transport.

Old 05-10-2011, 03:02 PM   #23

Not the cheapest way to go for sure (I found it cheaper a couple years ago), but this kit gives you a good parts list to go off of to build a decent solar system for boondocking, if you shop around im sure you can get all the individual parts cheaper or find suitable substitutes.
I did install this exact kit on our very old (very used when we got it) camper and was able to run for 5 - 6 days depending on time of year and amount of direct sun before I started to run the system down to the point of concern. Haven't installed it on our new camper yet, im reluctant to punch holes in our brand new 2011 roof, so im currently researching portable stands that I can set up on the ground and point at the sun . I used a bank of 4 matched 12v deepcycle batteries in series for this set up. 6V batteries could easily be swapped in for the 12V. More expensive to purchase, but they should last last longer.
One note of caution, avoid the microwave, toaster, and AC. They will drain a solar system in no time at all!

Go Power! Solar Elite! 220watt - comes with very good instructions as well

Amazon.com: Go Power! SOLAR ELITE 220 WATT RV SOLAR KIT: Electronics
Old 05-10-2011, 03:05 PM   #24

oh... one other word of caution... make sure you locate the batteries in a well ventilated area, away from beds or other sleeping areas... the batteries give off harmful gasses that can accumulate if not vented properly as well as make you ill if you sleep near them too much.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:53 PM   #25
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikNik View Post
oh... one other word of caution... make sure you locate the batteries in a well ventilated area, away from beds or other sleeping areas... the batteries give off harmful gasses that can accumulate if not vented properly as well as make you ill if you sleep near them too much.
Not to mention making your ears hurt when the trapped Hydrogen gas explodes.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 02:49 PM   #26

Send a message via Skype™ to toshu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy-D View Post
Sounds great. I really would love to get a solar system too. I have done a little research and found people are having lots of problems with this charge controller.
Please update us as to what you have heard/read about this specific charge controller that makes it a problem. I am curious

Thanks
-2011-23 nights
toshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 03:00 PM   #27

Send a message via Skype™ to toshu
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikNik View Post
Not the cheapest way to go for sure (I found it cheaper a couple years ago), but this kit gives you a good parts list to go off of to build a decent solar system for boondocking, if you shop around im sure you can get all the individual parts cheaper or find suitable substitutes.
I did install this exact kit on our very old (very used when we got it) camper and was able to run for 5 - 6 days depending on time of year and amount of direct sun before I started to run the system down to the point of concern. Haven't installed it on our new camper yet, im reluctant to punch holes in our brand new 2011 roof, so im currently researching portable stands that I can set up on the ground and point at the sun . I used a bank of 4 matched 12v deepcycle batteries in series for this set up. 6V batteries could easily be swapped in for the 12V. More expensive to purchase, but they should last last longer.
One note of caution, avoid the microwave, toaster, and AC. They will drain a solar system in no time at all!

Go Power! Solar Elite! 220watt - comes with very good instructions as well

Amazon.com: Go Power! SOLAR ELITE 220 WATT RV SOLAR KIT: Electronics
thanks for the link and info.
I was able to find the installation manual here with good info> http://www.pvpower.com/pdf/datasheet...gkits50220.pdf

and their product brochure>
http://www.pvpower.com/pdf/datasheet...gkits50220.pdf
-2011-23 nights
toshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 01:27 PM   #28

solar dealer here is thinking my 2011 378ts should be prewired for solar does anyone know if this is the case and if so WHERE would the wires be
Old 08-31-2011, 10:12 PM   #29

I'd check with your dealer or your actual coach invoice as any options should be listed there... You could check on the roof for some kind of access panel. I doubt they would hide such an option, otherwise owners would be cutting up their rubber roofs looking for hidden wires.

Is it true us 100% self contained rv owners can execute the same state & federal solar tax incentives homes do?
Old 09-02-2011, 07:57 PM   #30

Okay in order to achieve Nirvana in Solar Boondocking I have a question.

Q. In IDEAL Sun conditions on a nice 70+ degree day;

How many watts total in solar panels are necessary to run:
1. The fridge
2. Water Pump/Heater
3. Run the LPG Detector
4. and Return at least 150Ah of charge back into the house batteries.

All of this in an 8 hour typical day cycle mind you!

Tags
led pad, solar