Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2012, 11:53 AM   #61
BBB

Understood that the LED display is just there for reference. Just stating that after a good day in the sun the two cheap amorphous solar panels recharged the batteries enough, in our case, to keep the Micro Monitor in the "happy zone" (3-4 LEDs lit) after the sun goes down. Not sure exactly what that brings the batteries up to voltage wise but it keeps us out of the dark

On a side note I waited until I got some Harbor Fake Tools 20% off coupons to purchase mine. They seem to be holding up in the weather even though they suggest avoiding moisture. HF only supplies 8'-10' power cables with medium sized alligator clips for each panel. I extended the cables on ours so I could locate them to work more effectively. These are just simple plug and play panels that for me, were an inexpensive introduction to the world of solar.
BBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:40 PM   #62
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBB View Post
to keep the Micro Monitor in the "happy zone" (3-4 LEDs lit)
I think you might have missed the point I was trying to make.

If your solar cells are producing "charging voltage" AT ALL; Your MicroMonitor should be showing 4 "Happy Lights." (voltage in the camper over the non-charging voltage of 12.7 volts.)

Once the sun goes down, and the panels stop producing a voltage above 12.7 volts, you will get a better look at your voltage and battery capacity. Most likely it won't be 4 lights. Under load, it might not be 3 depending on how much battery power you have been using.

Not to say it is not worth the money or that it won't help. Just that 30 watts at full sun (you will normally get 75% of full sun wattage as an average for daylight) is just a bit over 2 amps. Enough to keep a full battery "full" under parasite load (with an infrequent light fixture use) but not to extend your stay very much at all.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led pad, solar