Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2014, 02:59 AM   #1

Stay Docked - Fun Thread

So for all you fellow dockers I thought it would be fun just to hear how long your docks are, your longest (without water or fuel trips) and little tips and tricks for conservation.
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 04:42 AM   #2

I guess I'm not ? Whats a docker ? I thought at first you were talking about boating but that would be hard to do without water. Sorry I'm confused.............

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 04:50 AM   #3

In my best Jeff Foxworthy impression... if you can live without a power cord and a water hose.. youuuu might be a docker.
Old 08-27-2014, 04:56 AM   #4

And if you bring your 66 mustang GT by that's always good for a little snort a cup of camp coffee for the missus.
Old 08-27-2014, 05:02 AM   #5

Sorry I just had never heard that term before .....or maybe I'm just a little slow

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 08-27-2014, 05:16 AM   #6

Not at all. It's a benign attempt to coin a phrase. I would sure love to see your 66'. Beautiful machine!

Old 08-27-2014, 05:25 AM   #7

Ya it stays in garage to much & needs to get out more. Not a show car but it is nice. I did most of its restoration is the 1980s.

I owe I owe so its off to work I go...........

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 08-27-2014, 09:04 AM   #8

Ok, I'll play, hows nearly 3 weeks divided into a week at each of three sites? Did have to dump though between the weeks. Water and dumping limit us. Power (solar), propane and fresh water are no problem.
Old 08-27-2014, 12:13 PM   #9
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Sorry I just had never heard that term before .....or maybe I'm just a little slow

If you're a little slow then I'm a lot slow.

I think, after reading all the responses, I have it figured out;

boon docking?

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 12:23 PM   #10
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
I think, after reading all the responses, I have it figured out;

boon docking?
Yes, boondocking - camping without hookups and outside of established campgrounds.

Of which I've never done.
Old 08-27-2014, 12:41 PM   #11
NELA

I have NO plans to ever boondock. We didn't pay big bucks for a rig to turn around and drag it out into the boonies and not use all those creature comforts we paid extra for.
Attached Images

Old 08-27-2014, 12:43 PM   #12
NELA

Oh, and if the SHTF and we have to go "prepper mode", creating a situation where we have to go off-grid (and yep, Buffy was bought with that in mind) we've got a generator, and the site prepped for it.

Old 08-27-2014, 02:12 PM   #13

Quote:
I have NO plans to ever boondock. We didn't pay big bucks for a rig to turn around and drag it out into the boonies and not use all those creature comforts we paid extra for.
Or you can look at it the other way. That's exactly why we pay the big bucks.. and then some.. so we CAN turn around and drag our rigs into the boonies and take along all of those creature comforts that we paid extra for.

To each his own. I'm just not into the spend a small fortune for rack em and stack em type camping. Isn't that why then invented hotels?

Most important
Old 08-27-2014, 02:58 PM   #14
NELA

Uhhh ever wondered how many other people have slept in that hotel room bed? Ever wondered if they launder ALL the bedding between each guest? (they don't)

two more words: BED BUGS

And I wouldn't want to pay the price required to get the view from a hotel room window that we get in our RV.

Someone else here said something the other day that struck a chord with me; how many friends have you made walking the halls of a hotel? Sneak and I have, in the 18 months we've been back into RVing, made MANY friends just visiting with other folks in RV parks. In fact we're planning a trip back up to PF in November to meet up with friends we made there last year, and friends we made this year.

That doesn't happen while hotel dwelling.

Oh, and have you ever run across a "Hilton Hotel Guests Forum"?

AND, I dare say you'll never stay in a hotel room two doors down from a well trained and very well behaved PIG!

Old 08-27-2014, 03:02 PM   #15
NELA

AND, FTR, we don't do "rack 'em and stack 'em" RV parks. Sure, there are plenty of those concrete jungle RV parks in places like Pigeon Forge; slider to slider, awning to awning, barely off a 5 lane highway.

Not our cup of tea. We look for those off the beaten path.

When we pulled in to the park we stayed at this last trip, a lady across the way hollered: hey, aren't you Weezer? didn't we meet y'all here last year? I wanna tell you to STOP telling people about this place! It's getting too popular and harder to get reservations!

Old 08-27-2014, 03:25 PM   #16

Quote:
Uhhh ever wondered how many other people have slept in that hotel room bed? Ever wondered if they launder ALL the bedding between each guest? (they don't)
LOL I'm a wilderness docker not a barbarian. I saw that Gordon Ramsey show on satellite one to many times with his little black light "Hotel Hell". I didn't mean to imply, just there seems to be so many folks that can't seem to steer clear of the concrete camping and forget there is a whole lot of beauty out there.

I remember when a camper was strictly propane and 12v was an innovation. These days it takes a major overhaul just to function without 110.

I didn't mean any offense. Your well trained pig is welcome around my fire any day of the week.
Old 08-27-2014, 04:50 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarome View Post
So for all you fellow dockers I thought it would be fun just to hear how long your docks are, your longest (without water or fuel trips) and little tips and tricks for conservation.
While not boondocking, we went without hookups for 9 days straight every year (8 consecutive years) at Lake Tahoe with our Coleman Westlake (12ft box) PUP. Our limit was the battery to run the heater fan on the cold nights. Our new A-frame (Rockwood A122) is fitted with dual batteries and LED lights to last a 4 day weekend without hookups in the Colorado Rockies (don't intentionally camp in snow).

We do use campground toilets and showers, so on-board water is for cooking and cleaning only. Never been an issue.

Food and ice resupply was generally every 2nd or 3rd day - bear policy restricted fridge to sealed drinks. Food went into coolers and into bear boxes when not at site. Cooking and cleaning generally done outside the camper, just like the tent folks.

Fred W
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 07:57 PM   #18

That sounds like a ton of fun, Fred. Where abouts do you like to stay ar

ound Tahoe? Colorado is one of my nemesis. I cant get lost up there for weeks on end. My shortcoming always seems to be potable water.

What kind of house battery are you running?
Old 08-27-2014, 08:23 PM   #19
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgandw View Post
While not boondocking, we went without hookups for 9 days straight every year (8 consecutive years) at Lake Tahoe with our Coleman Westlake (12ft box) PUP. Our limit was the battery to run the heater fan on the cold nights. Our new A-frame (Rockwood A122) is fitted with dual batteries and LED lights to last a 4 day weekend without hookups in the Colorado Rockies (don't intentionally camp in snow).

We do use campground toilets and showers, so on-board water is for cooking and cleaning only. Never been an issue.

Food and ice resupply was generally every 2nd or 3rd day - bear policy restricted fridge to sealed drinks. Food went into coolers and into bear boxes when not at site. Cooking and cleaning generally done outside the camper, just like the tent folks.

Fred W
Sounds like our annual October trip... for 2wks... to Big Meadows campground in Shenandoah National Park. No hook ups, plenty of water very clean rest rooms and a nice pub in the basement of the lodge to boot. We get about 6 hours on the genny everyday plus we heat water and the 5vr with propane... no problem.
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:12 PM   #20

I'll say one thing. I'm a bit partial to Colorado and Wyoming's beauty, but those Virgina folk are bar none. Really some incredible country, and sharing a little flavor from home spices around the barbeque and they treat you just like family. I don't think I've ever had barbecue corn, ribs, and sweet tea that ever tasted any better.

Not to exclude anyone else. It was one of my first times back that way and I was just highly impressed. Don't miss it if you have the fortune to pass through.