Old 06-24-2017, 12:01 AM   #1
Learning a lot as I go...

Towing with black/grey water

Considering a multi-day cross country trip.

I *could* plan on staying in full hookup camp sites every night. And spend more money.

Or... I could plan on staying in dry camping sites some nights and full hookup sites other nights.

So what are the problems and limits with towing with some black/grey water in the tanks? How full is too full for towing?

Old 06-24-2017, 12:11 AM   #2
Just a member

Shouldn't be an issue provided you respect the unit's GVW. We do this frequently. Some smaller units may have an issue with weight distribution depending on where the tanks are located.

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 12:29 AM   #3

Even though our Freshwater tank holds 43 gallons we generally only fill it up 1/2 full before departing, and then if we need more water we will fill up the carry on jugs and add to the tank as we go. We have learned this over the course of our camping trips as to how much water is enough to haul. This way we aren't carrying / towing with full weight water capacity.

I would say depending on how many people are using the water would determine how much you really need to haul. We find that about 25 gallons ( 6 gals needed for the water heater ) for 2 people over the weekend suits our needs fine, without replenishing the reservoir.
2004 GMC Sierra 2500HD LT 4x4 6.0 / 4:10

The best plans can be of those that happen in the spur of the moment!
Briorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 12:42 AM   #4
Learning a lot as I go...

Thanks for the responses. Of course weight is always a concern. And fresh moves to black/grey so there is generally neutrality in weight. But as I "reasoned" this out my thinking went like this:

A) the black water is pretty much in a sealed tank apart from the vent pipe to the roof. So the chances of anything sloshing out is pretty minimal. And really sloshing might be a good thing in there ;-)
B) the grey water is not quite so sealed with a couple of P traps. The sink is probably high enough and far enough away to not be an issue. But the shower... that is where I am a bit concerned and thus asking the question.

Many years ago my parents had a 20 foot Smuggler camp trailer. We thought it was pretty fancy being self contained :-) After I graduated from HS I got a summer job and got to live in the Smuggler in a trailer park. Right across the street from the bathroom/shower. All good, use the toilet and take showers over there rather than in the trailer. What I did not think about was the dish water... which filled up right into the shower pan. And of course dad noticed it on a random check before I did. Ooops!
Old 06-24-2017, 04:35 AM   #5

I fill my fresh water tank before leaving home and then anytime I think I may be boon docking it for the night. Hey, I get good water out of my well so why not use it. I would rather carry the extra 120 pounds that 20 more gallons weigh than have to find a place to get water should I run out.

I only empty the black water tank whenever it gets to 3/4 full and I use the black tank flush system when I do empty it.

The grey water tank gets emptied on the way out of each campground regardless of how much is in it. If I am boon docking it for a night or two, it gets emptied on the way in to the next campground we stop at.

If you do boon dock, you will quickly learn how to take sink baths and to use a wash tub for your dishes. Once the dishes are done put the dish water down the toilet because it takes a lot longer to fill the black tank than it does the grey one.

Hope this is of some help.
Sunseeker24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 05:25 AM   #6

If I boondocks, I fill fresh from home, black and gray dry Drinking water we get from a jug in the fridge. If we run out we fill somewhere, but drinking water is still jug in the fridge and we buy another at the store if needed. That way we don't have to worry about getting bad fresh water. Same if hooked to campground/city water. Reason being we've been to lots of places that don't tell you thier water is for washing only (ie: arsenic, etc) unless you ask. They should, but very often don't. Or it's a tiny sign somewhere or an "oh, by the way" comment somewhere in a lot of other information passed on.

Black and gray we use until full, then find a dump site. Lots of places to do that for a small fee, both camp sites and fill stations.

We just watch our water use to make sure we get what we need done before needing to find a dump station.

I've weighed with all 3 tanks mostly full and we're under the trailer gvwr and also the truck's gvwr so I don't worry about towing full. Although I prefer to tow empty if I can.

2011 Flagstaff Classic Superlight 831RLBSS "Atrium slide"
Husky Centerline Hitch
2016 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew, Lariat Sport, Max Tow package
great white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 12:47 PM   #7

When just traveling through and area we always look for opportunities to dry camp for a couple of nights. Our rig has a 45 gallon fresh tank and because of the layout, a forty gallon black tank and two 35 gallon grey tanks that may be cross connected by opening a valve. Obviously, our output side capacity is a lot more then the input/fresh capacity. We generally fill the fresh tank all the way and plan on staying somewhere, or otherwise being able to dump after three, sometimes four days. You do need to plan to use black tank deodorant. Something as simple as Pine Sol will do.
JPSPete20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 02:58 PM   #8

Except for what you put down the toilet, the water in the holding tanks should pretty much be what came out of the wrest water tank, so the weight shoul be the same.
jyfb2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 06:19 PM   #9

I thought I was the only one who did this. I pour our soapy water from the
Dishes down the toilet on a regular basis. And never have a sensor problem and as mentioned saves more room in grey tank for showers etc.

robbdrell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, grey water, towing, water