Old 05-31-2016, 07:22 PM   #91

Bent Water Tank Support

I'm in disbelief! I had faith the engineers at Forest River would have designed the trailers for the intended purpose; i.e. trailering and using all the features the trailer has to offer. I would never expect they would design the trailer with electric power consuming device that need 50amps and only give you a 30amp service. That would not be reasonable. In the case of my water tank, it appears they did just that. I filled my tank and went about 65 miles to a campground for the weekend. It was the season's maiden voyage. I was experimenting in prep for our main vacation to Michigan's Upper Peninsula. We are planning on traveling about 4000 miles. I wanted the tank full in case we had to boondoggle.

I am disappointed that Forest River only say " traveling with the water tank full is not recommended. Based on my pictures, I would say it's a risk to travel with it full.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Flagstaff21DSWaterTankSupportI.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	188.2 KB
ID:	109704   Click image for larger version

Name:	Flagstaff21DSWaterTankSupportII.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	245.2 KB
ID:	109705  

Old 05-31-2016, 07:28 PM   #92

Those pictures are reminiscent of the ones I took of our Roo 23WS right after its trip home from the PDI. I made new supports. Now on our maiden voyage and dealing with a microwave that spewed smoke and died and a shorted AC heating element in the Dometic Fridge. Good luck.

Old 05-31-2016, 08:08 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecurityRich View Post
I'm in disbelief! I had faith the engineers at Forest River would have designed the trailers for the intended purpose; i.e. trailering and using all the features the trailer has to offer. I would never expect they would design the trailer with electric power consuming device that need 50amps and only give you a 30amp service. That would not be reasonable. In the case of my water tank, it appears they did just that. I filled my tank and went about 65 miles to a campground for the weekend. It was the season's maiden voyage. I was experimenting in prep for our main vacation to Michigan's Upper Peninsula. We are planning on traveling about 4000 miles. I wanted the tank full in case we had to boondoggle.

I am disappointed that Forest River only say " traveling with the water tank full is not recommended. Based on my pictures, I would say it's a risk to travel with it full.
your tank is exposed easy fix . i know you shouldn't have to FR should have gotten it right and not be skimping where it really counts after all we paid our very hard earned money . but the fact is they don't . most never have issues .I've hauled mine around with full tank many hundreds of miles with out issues and don't plan on having any . will contiune to do so with a full tank . warranty good till next February if it's going to happen now the time and it won't happen if i never use it the way it was intended

now on to your tank like i said it's exposed and will be an easy fix
Old 06-01-2016, 08:01 AM   #94

regardless... the issue of hauling with a full tank of water has pitted forum followers against each other since the question was raised with other trailer models and manufacturers.

I won't haul with a full water tank.
There is a reason the manufacturers recommend people don't do stuff.
Be it because they scrimped on construction material quality or safety, common sense override or just don't do it... they warn people for a reason.

I do however fill several of the Ozark Trail Desert Patrol 6-Gal Water Jugs and fill the holding tank as required. I got 6 of them from Walmart 2 yrs ago. $9 each plus tax.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	water.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	109760  
The new toy hauler - 2016 Ford F150 Supercrew XTR ECOBOOST.
MilCop4523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:24 AM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilCop4523 View Post
regardless... the issue of hauling with a full tank of water has pitted forum followers against each other since the question was raised with other trailer models and manufacturers.

I won't haul with a full water tank.
There is a reason the manufacturers recommend people don't do stuff.
Be it because they scrimped on construction material quality or safety, common sense override or just don't do it... they warn people for a reason.

I do however fill several of the Ozark Trail Desert Patrol 6-Gal Water Jugs and fill the holding tank as required. I got 6 of them from Walmart 2 yrs ago. $9 each plus tax.

Pitting forum followers against each other? Huh?

Nowhere in the manual, on a decal, or any other piece of documentation does Rockwood advise against towing with a filled fresh water tank on our Rockwood Roo. Still the supports bent almost to the point of the tank popping out. I have owned 3 other trailers, two of them hybrids, and never had to worry about sagging water tanks including the one that held 52 gallons. Scrimping on construction is the only reason for any of this, it has nothing to do with following recomendations. That would be like Ford only using 2 lug nuts and telling you not to exceed 15 mph lol.
Old 06-01-2016, 08:55 AM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
Pitting forum followers against each other? Huh?

Nowhere in the manual, on a decal, or any other piece of documentation does Rockwood advise against towing with a filled fresh water tank on our Rockwood Roo. Still the supports bent almost to the point of the tank popping out. I have owned 3 other trailers, two of them hybrids, and never had to worry about sagging water tanks including the one that held 52 gallons. Scrimping on construction is the only reason for any of this, it has nothing to do with following recommendations. That would be like Ford only using 2 lug nuts and telling you not to exceed 15 mph lol.
Some owners in forums (going back quite a few years) have experienced straps breaking, or frame rails bending as in the image above our posts from carrying full water. Others have said it couldn't happen because it hasn't happened to them.
One owner stated in a forum I read last summer about following a trailer with the water tank falling out of it.

Manufacturers issue recommendations for the exact reason we all know - so its a loophole for them to deny warranty claims.
Because you haven't seen the disclaimer aka recommendation not to carry full water tank capacity in your manual doesn't mean its not in someone else's manual.
on a different note funny you should mention Ford...
A buddy of mine tuned his 15 F150 Ecoboost and blew his engine last month. Took the tuner and aftermarket equipment off and towed it into the dealer for repairs. The dealer refused warranty work because they could tell what had happened. They not only looked at the truck and saw the tell tail signs of previous tuning (spacer / wires cut to remove splicing in of equipment apparently in addition to catch can etc.) as well as the Computer history.

I've never hauled with a full water tank.
To each his own. Its why manufacturers make different trailer models and styles.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:44 AM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilCop4523 View Post
Some owners in forums (going back quite a few years) have experienced straps breaking, or frame rails bending as in the image above our posts from carrying full water. Others have said it couldn't happen because it hasn't happened to them.
One owner stated in a forum I read last summer about following a trailer with the water tank falling out of it.

Manufacturers issue recommendations for the exact reason we all know - so its a loophole for them to deny warranty claims.
Because you haven't seen the disclaimer aka recommendation not to carry full water tank capacity in your manual doesn't mean its not in someone else's manual.
on a different note funny you should mention Ford...
A buddy of mine tuned his 15 F150 Ecoboost and blew his engine last month. Took the tuner and aftermarket equipment off and towed it into the dealer for repairs. The dealer refused warranty work because they could tell what had happened. They not only looked at the truck and saw the tell tail signs of previous tuning (spacer / wires cut to remove splicing in of equipment apparently in addition to catch can etc.) as well as the Computer history.

I've never hauled with a full water tank.
To each his own. Its why manufacturers make different trailer models and styles.
Ok, but I have yet to see any written documentation from ANY manufacturer of a travel trailer or 5er telling you not to tow with full tanks. I have read about them time and time again but it seems no one can produce a picture or scan of the recommendation. I have heard of dealers and salesmen telling buyers not to do it but at the same time I had a salesman looking for the button to lower a hybrid bed door once.

If you can not tow with water in the tank, or as far as that is concerned black or gray tanks filled, what is the purpose of the tanks and why do they install them and then advertise the capacities?

Its just piss poor construction where the only concerns are using the cheapest components and methods to hold the bottom line.

I hauled 80 gallons to this campground we're currently at in the original tank and one I added with supports I made. They did not sag or fall out. It doesnt take much to make a support substantial enough to hold these tanks but evidently the few dollars required to increase steel size 1/16" hurts the bottom line too much.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:54 AM   #98

I AGREE.
the post above ours stated Forest River recommends not hauling with a full tank

SAME GOES FOR USING SLIDE OUT SUPPORTS.
Someone posted they had not seen ANY documentation on the use of them yet i was able to produce one manufacturers manual where it was.

The limpart manufacturer also states to pull the slides in for long periods of storage (and i cant see where their concern is with the roof leaking or rain / snow getting past the rubber seals around the slide out manufactured by someone else.)
the only difference between seasonal usage and storage is people weighing several hundred pounds are sitting on or sleeping on the slideouts as well as fridges and stoves etc.

I'm not crawling under my trailer to weld in extra supports for my water tank so it doesn't drop out of sag.

We've seen stories of toilets not having the drain holes cut or that they were off the mark by as much as 6 inches.
I had what looked like a rubber chicken under my roof liner on our 2012 Salem.

For the monies we pay for these units there seems to be little effort put into quality assurance.
Old 06-01-2016, 10:34 AM   #99

if FR are any other manufacturer came out and said you can not carry water in the tanks they would not sale many units . does not matter if it falls out right away are a few yrs down the road and warranty is expired they will still be held accountable . A lawyer would chew them up , and if it comes out while going down the road and causing accident and injury to others then it'll be a big awaking for FR and other manufactures
Old 06-01-2016, 04:33 PM   #100

Yes and don't advertise it as fully self-contained if you can't haul full tanks of fluid

Tags
tank, towing, water, water tank