Old 01-10-2016, 10:45 AM   #11
I have always traveled with a full tank, at least on lay way out to camp. I don't remember seeing anything in the "Manual" about not carrying water.

Goody Two Shoes and the Filthy Beast
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
Duramax and Allison 6 speed
2012 Wildcat 282RKX

You can't make things idiot proof, you can only make them idiot resistant.
Filthy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 11:17 AM   #12
We don't boon-dock but we do carry 1/2 to 3/4 tank of water in case we need to spend the night at wally world or a like place. being able to use our own potty and wash hands is also a nice.

2014 8289WS Diamond pkg
2014 Ram 2500 SB DC TCD
PhoneDude 8289 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 12:05 PM   #13
Traveling with Full fresh tank

While it's not practical to travel with the extra weight ( fuel consumption etc) , we fill out as close to wherever we are going to Boondocking and because we travel in remote areas this may represent several hundred miles and have never had an issue. Last summer we went to the Arctic Ocena via the Dalton Highway so had a nearly full tank for most of a week and all on gravel road and no issues. Can't see ours because we have a 28RKS Wildcat with a completely enclosed belly but hVent seen anything to concern me.
Filterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 12:20 PM   #14
Mine failed and cracked after two yrs.
I always kept it full when towing.
Forrest River picked up the tab$800.
2013 Palomino 30ft. of Pure Bliss at 5400#-and then we have this 14 ft.Sea Eagle that I tote around for my wife and son.Michigan State Parks are The Best !:thumbsup
Boss Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 12:29 PM   #15
Agree with PhoneDude. We do the same. You might also want to check with FR about this to see if there is a design flaw with your model.
Marcel & Jenne
Kemptville, ON
2014 Rockwood 8282WS
2015 Ford F150 Eco-Boost
BusyRetirees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 01:44 PM   #16
I needed to have water in the tanks because where I camp the is no water or electricity.
My tank started to sag and broke the wood holding it in place. So all I did was get a piece of plywood and some heavy duty tie straps and it is holding the tank for now.
szabla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 01:58 PM   #17
Every camper I own regardless of brand gets reinforcement of existing water tank retention hardware and additional brackets.

I've had 5 campers, 5 different brands and they all had thin straps that were talk welded. I boondock and all my campers were lifted. Towing off road for miles places a lot of strain on the retention hardware. I have had one tank fall off on me when the tack welds failed on a strap. I don't rely on tack welds and use angle iron and threaded rod to reinforce my tanks.

Reading countless threads from most manufacturer unique forums, the dirty secret is that it is hard to warranty a tank falling out if it occurred when towing with it full....wierd but true.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 02:45 PM   #18
Moderators' Assistant
Water weight barely affects fuel mileage, compared to frontal air resistance. That affects it WAY more.

Since we dry camp 90% of the time, we always travel with a full tank of water.
Been doing this for 25 years of camping, with no problems.
Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 04:20 PM   #19
Thanks all. You have been very helpful.
warrenmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 04:30 PM   #20
i dont move my trailer around much, but when i do i try to have it empty as much as possible.

Like mentioned the whole point of having a F/W tank is to be able to pack in the water you need for your camping trip. if you had to fill it while youre there you may as well not even have a tank. That being said, i dont think alot of the setups are designed to have the fresh water filled for long distance travelling, rather to travel 'dry' till you hit the last place you can fill it, and go from there with a full tank.

With 150gal F/W tank, that really cuts into my cargo capacity (thats 1200lbs of water), so travel is usually done with an empty tank till the absolute last place to fill up, and with such a large tank i fill it to the top, i would rather have it heavy than driving around with 75gal (600lbs) sloshing around!

'14 XLR 395AMP
'16 Ram 3500 DRW, 6.7 cummins w/aisin trans and 4.10 gears
ykdave is offline   Reply With Quote

tank, towing, water, water tank