Old 01-10-2016, 09:49 AM   #1

Towing with full water tank

Sorry if there is a thread for this already but I can't seem to find one.

I have just purchased a new Xlite 261 BHXL. After the sale the dealer strongly cautioned about driving with water in the tanks. The salesman appeared to think that that tank would fall out the bottom onto the road! That would seem to be a very poor deign.

Since i will often be well away from a water source this presents a problem. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this issue and an Xlite. Thanks
Warren

warrenmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 09:52 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Also depending on tank size the water weight will deduct from your cargo carrying capacity.
I've always carried a full tank of water when boon-docking albeit I don't have an ultra lite either

2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"

TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 09:54 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenmck View Post

I have just purchased a new Xlite 261 BHXL. After the sale the dealer strongly cautioned about driving with water in the tanks. The salesman appeared to think that that tank would fall out the bottom onto the road! That would seem to be a very poor deign.

Since i will often be well away from a water source this presents a problem. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this issue and an Xlite. Thanks
Warren

Of course he did not voice this concern before you signed on dotted line.
5.7L Hemi, 3:73 Rear
Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 10:07 AM   #4

This is crazy. Although I have heard stories on hear of the tank not being supported properly and falling out or bulging out the underbelly, I don't believe for a second that as built from the Mfg you should not be able to carry a full tank of water with you. That's why it's there in the first place. Not so you can fill it when you get to your destination.
Todouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 10:18 AM   #5

There are threads where a tank has dropped.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...mO5UB0QXzYjyAw

Braces have been added or beefed up to handle the weight.
Old 01-10-2016, 10:26 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenmck View Post

Warren
I would say that the Bottom is OPEN,so you could look at your F/W Tank from below Before and After you put Water in the Tank and see if it looks Substantial for Holding water and Travel! Some that have Posted Pic's on Here are NOT very Substantial and Have Failed! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 11:13 AM   #7

1 gallon water weighs 8.34 lbs. - plus the ballast motion ! When we picked up our new MH , the first thing I did was drain most of a full tank of water.
Old 01-10-2016, 11:13 AM   #8

Since this is a new unit i would ask the salesman man if that would be cover under the warrenty, just curious what his answer would be ?

Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and enjoy the journey
muddyrode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 11:31 AM   #9

Our Work & Play TT toy hauler has a 110 gallon tank. We always fill it up completely before heading to our races. No problems for thousands of miles with close to 1000 lbs. of water.
KFX450RXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 11:37 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeman53 View Post
1 gallon water weighs 8.34 lbs. - plus the ballast motion ! When we picked up our new MH , the first thing I did was drain most of a full tank of water.
Maybe you should of left it full, so you would know if you ever needed to haul a load it doesn't fall out the bottom of the rig?

OP, for a salesman to mention something like that after the sale it sounds like he knows something. Like a design issue with that model.

Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, towing, water, water tank