Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2017, 10:24 PM   #61

Every time we traveled from Fla to GA we stopped in a Walmart. We called it "Super Walmart Campground". We usually stopped in the same Walmart (Forsyth, GA) before we continue our trip further up North. We have a cable and the gen in locked inside the bed of my truck. Never had a problem.
Hman0109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 03:54 PM   #62

Google has several post about "Wal-Mart Etiquette" Here's just one I found... hope this helps.

Wal-Mart Etiquette

Let me take a minute to talk about Wal-Mart stop-overs and to strongly emphasize a point that many RVers either don't know or are ignoring.

Please listen up now — Wal-Mart is NOT a campground!

No, Wal-Mart parking lots are NOT free campgrounds. The intent of Wal-Mart is to provide a wonderful customer service by allowing RVers to stop for a night while they are traveling through. Many folks may travel two or three days between major destinations, and they don't really need full hookups or a shower in between. For these situations, Wal-Mart is providing a great convenience to the RV community—but many RVers are giving the rest of us a bad rap by not knowing or not heeding proper RV etiquette.

Let me take a moment to talk about RVing etiquette as it applies to stopping overnight at a Wal-Mart parking lot.

First and foremost, Wal-Mart parking lots are for one-night overnight stays only. Wal-Mart is not a campground where you can perch for as long as you like. Remember, one night only!

The proper etiquette is to first ask the manager's permission to park overnight. Some Wal-Marts are already posted prohibiting overnight parking (sometimes due to pressure from local campground operators, and sometimes from local ordinance to prevent the sprawl of trailer trash because the one-night rule was ignored by far too many RVers).

The manager will usually agree, if he has adequate space, and tell you where you should park. Please, heed his direction and don't go park someplace else just because you like the shade or a better place to water your dogs.

The manager will usually direct you to a spot that is on the edge of the parking lot and out of the way of major traffic or loading lanes. And, yes, folks, lots of times the parking lot is not going to be level. Park along the periphery of the lot and don't block a bunch of parking spaces by parking sideways across multiple parking slots in the middle of the parking lot.

Several years ago, I was driving through Bend Oregon, two or three days before a major FMCA convention, and I was appalled at the number of rigs cluttering up the Wal-Mart parking lot, many of them blocking traffic lanes, and with all sorts of their stuff spread all over the place. Scenes like that, if repeated too many more times, will end Wal-Mart's hospitality towards RVers.

Use your head folks! Lets not lose a good thing due to carelessness.

Also, do not assume that it is OK for you to park overnight, simply because other RVs are already parked in the lot! (The manager may have a limit of RVs imposed by local authorities.)

And, please, also remember to use some common sense—don't pull into Wal-Mart at 10 AM in the morning and ask to park overnight. Have the courtesy to arrive sometime after 4PM when the major shopping day is almost over. And don't dawdle when you leave—set your alarm, and be out of the parking lot before 9AM, or before the store opens for business.

Remember that your Wal-Mart stop is a quickie overnight stop, and not a formal campground. This means that you should NOT put out your awning; drag out your patio chairs, patio rug, and BBQ; or set up dog pens or a ground-mounted satellite antenna (one already on the RV roof is OK). It goes without saying that you should respect your neighbors and minimize your generator use. Running your generator for four hours so that you can watch TV is not going to win you any points, and is strongly discouraged. Nuke your dinner in the microwave and then turn it off. The same goes for the next morning—don't turn on your generator at 6 AM to brew your morning coffee. Most campgrounds have quiet hours from 10PM to 8AM, and you should use similar rules while at Wal-Mart.

And, it should be obvious, respond in kind to the Wal-Mart favor. Go into the store and buy a few things—TP, groceries, it doesn't really matter. Spend a few dollars and help support your host's future efforts toward RVers. And, of course, it doesn't hurt if you already have a cart with goodies in it before you find the manager.
Old 01-28-2017, 04:49 PM   #63

I'm getting a bigger stick. That dang horse moved just a little. Darn thing just won't die.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 09:14 PM   #64

I know the Walmart in Daytona beach flordia does not allow over night parking. Showed up to bike week a day early after pushing further driving then planned. Got woke up by the police at 3:00 am and was told to move. Drove 300 yards down the street to Lowes and went back to bed.

Had a lowes employee from a store 1200 miles away with me. He went in and said hi in the morning. All the employees got a kick out of it.

Maybe it will take its last breath.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 10:03 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber45 View Post
I know the Walmart in Daytona beach flordia does not allow over night parking. Showed up to bike week a day early after pushing further driving then planned. Got woke up by the police at 3:00 am and was told to move. Drove 300 yards down the street to Lowes and went back to bed.

Had a lowes employee from a store 1200 miles away with me. He went in and said hi in the morning. All the employees got a kick out of it.

Interesting. Wally World, some do, some don't. I've parked at Lowes too. In the back by the unloading docks. Outta sight, outta mind.....

Nice screen name too. Have a couple myself.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 10:05 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
I'm getting a bigger stick. That dang horse moved just a little. Darn thing just won't die.
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 10:07 PM   #67

Love that screen name. Nothing like them.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 04:19 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber45 View Post

I live right down the road from there! Got a ticket for hanging out in the parking lot in a vehicle for less than an hour. The poor security people have nothing better to do and Daytona Beach Police are definitely not the nicest officers around. I was surprised to learn you can boondock in a Walmart parking lot, becuase it is certainly off limits here!
JBusbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 04:32 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBusbin View Post
I live right down the road from there! Got a ticket for hanging out in the parking lot in a vehicle for less than an hour. The poor security people have nothing better to do and Daytona Beach Police are definitely not the nicest officers around. I was surprised to learn you can boondock in a Walmart parking lot, becuase it is certainly off limits here!
Ormond Beach Wal-Mart ( I95 & SR 40) is also a non over nighter, as posted by city ordinance and enforced by both security and Ormond PD !
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 06:20 AM   #70

Cruising boaters use the motto,

"Leave a Clean Wake", be responsible for your trash.
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 11:16 AM   #71

Why do people care if a slide is out? You have massive vehicle taking up 6 parking spots. But the slide is too much? Its not like anyone can park in the remaining space of the spots you are in.
ronj82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 07:46 PM   #72
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronj82 View Post
Why do people care if a slide is out? You have massive vehicle taking up 6 parking spots. But the slide is too much? Its not like anyone can park in the remaining space of the spots you are in.

At Wally world it is more about not living there. It is supposed to be an overnight thing not a campground. As far as truck stops it would take to many spaces up.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator