Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2015, 05:49 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M View Post
Here I was planning a Walmart stay on my next trip to Pigeon Forge just to "Test the generator system" before making a longer trip next year.

I can understand no jacks down but I always use timbers under my jack feet so they won't destroy the asphalt.

No slides out? Don't understand that one and it would be useless to spend the night there with slides in.

Are these rules everywhere or just specific to Walmart only or specific to Walmart in certain locations?

Inquiring mind needs to know...........
Pigeon Forge has ordinances that does not allow RV's to park at any business overnight.

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 06:20 PM   #22

We have stayed at Walmart several times. I always call ahead, ask for a manager and get permission. No jacks, no generators, no slides out.
We can get around inside with slides in.
I appreciate that they let us do it.
Several times I have parked by the sign that says no overnight parking with no problem.
Usually we pull in around dark and pull out by 7am
Lost Vermonters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 06:26 PM   #23

So, three or four slides out for convienence, generators for air cond. jacks down, and everybody thinks no one cares. Sure, they don't. Why can't you just pull in, go to sleep and not have to do all the stuff discussed here. When, not if, you ruin it for thr rest of us, like the knucklehead dumping sewage, as an example.

If you can't just low impact, then stay at a truck stop or rest stop. You want proof, more and more wally worlds are NO OVERNIGHTING, and the list keeps growing.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 06:26 PM   #24

Send a message via AIM to B and B
I would stay at Walmart and put my slides out. No jacks though. As far as generator it is in the truck bed in front of the hitch. Weighs 150 lbs and i highly doubt anyone could lift it out around the hitch while the trailer is on the pin. If the walmart is that unsafe I wouldn't stay there.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 06:28 PM   #25
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Kickin View Post
So, three or four slides out for convienence, generators for air cond. jacks down, and everybody thinks no one cares. Sure, they don't. Why can't you just pull in, go to sleep and not have to do all the stuff discussed here. When, not if, you ruin it for thr rest of us, like the knucklehead dumping sewage, as an example.

If you can't just low impact, then stay at a truck stop or rest stop. You want proof, more and more wally worlds are NO OVERNIGHTING, and the list keeps growing.
You really think that dumping SEWER is the same as putting slides out?

On edit, never mind. Don't answer it.
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 06:28 PM   #26

Cousin Eddie strikes again

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbilt View Post
nick m walmart pigeon forge tn does not allow any campers on the lot over night due to some people dumping waste down the sewer lines in parking lot
You know there are a lot more Cousin Eddie's out there than we probably care to know about and they love to ruin things for the rest of us.
Old 08-26-2015, 06:31 PM   #27
Who Dares, Wins

I was always shocked how many trailers NEED the slides out to even use them... We do not need the slide out to sleep and use. I drop the front foot to unload the truck, slides in, geni to keep cool while making diner (in the bed or rear basket Honda eu2000). While in summer I will let the geni run all night to keep cool.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 06:36 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
You really think that dumping SEWER is the same as putting slides out?

On edit, never mind. Don't answer it.
It's just another thing. Parking lots are not built to take down forces like that. So, over time it will prematurely damage their property. Seriously, does a little rocking while you climb into bed matter. Come on, please don't ruin it for the rest of us is all I'm saying.
Old 08-26-2015, 06:40 PM   #29
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
It's just another thing. Parking lots are not built to take down forces like that. So, over time it will prematurely damage their property. Seriously, does a little rocking while you climb into bed matter. Come on, please don't ruin it for the rest of us is all I'm saying.
Check an old parking lot where cars park constantly, you'll see the indents from their tires in the asphalt.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 08-26-2015, 06:47 PM   #30

Quote:
Honestly, putting landing pads (mine are 2 ft in diameter) and landing gear down for 1 night is not going to damage anything. I have never stayed at a Walmart but this is a backup plan as everywhere we travel there are Walmart's it seems!
Old 08-26-2015, 07:10 PM   #31

Discuss with the store manager?

Seems like the correct way to take advantage of Walmart (or any other host) hospitality is to talk directly with the store manager and ask permission to do what you need: slides out, landing gear down (on protective pads or timbers), gen running. If he says no either follow his rules or move on, pretty simple don't you think?

I don't normally drive until 11PM or later, I want to be off the road before dark, 6 to 7 PM is ideal. My driving day is limited to no more than 8 hours, 6 is ideal. I'm also not back on the road by 7 or 8 AM, I'd rather enjoy a morning coffee before heading back to the super slab.

Having heard all these opinions I think it's time to rethink my overnight plans and look for other options if Walmart, Sam's, Cracker Barrel, etc. hospitality doesn't fit my needs.
Old 08-26-2015, 07:12 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
Honestly, putting landing pads (mine are 2 ft in diameter) and landing gear down for 1 night is not going to damage anything. I have never stayed at a Walmart but this is a backup plan as everywhere we travel there are Walmart's it seems!
The point was, just suck it up and live with a little rocking when your settling in for a FREE nights stay. Since you havn't been to a Walmart yet, I have, you havn't seen the "camping" that some do. As for download pressures from levelers, it's not necessary to enjoy your sleep stay, so why risk damage to their lot was my point.
Old 08-26-2015, 07:16 PM   #33
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M View Post
Seems like the correct way to take advantage of Walmart (or any other host) hospitality is to talk directly with the store manager and ask permission to do what you need: slides out, landing gear down (on protective pads or timbers), gen running. If he says no either follow his rules or move on, pretty simple don't you think?

I'd be shocked if a manager has any idea what jacks or slides are or why you want a generator when you have a camper. He doesn't know nor care about those things- regardless of what some here would have you believe.

The disappearing Walmart permissions typically have nothing to do with these specific things. Don't let some over zealous "rule"-makers here scare you. Leave damage or a mess or look like a full-on campsite and that's one thing. Slides for a night, give me a break.
Old 08-26-2015, 07:32 PM   #34

Quote:
The point was, just suck it up and live with a little rocking when your settling in for a FREE nights stay. Since you havn't been to a Walmart yet, I have, you havn't seen the "camping" that some do. As for download pressures from levelers, it's not necessary to enjoy your sleep stay, so why risk damage to their lot was my point.
There is a Walmart 2 km from my home. Many camp there in fact I stopped one night and said Hello to Caravaner from Europe, they were on a Cross Canada tour for a year. Right hand drive to boot! Many trailers stop for the night, with slides out!
Old 08-26-2015, 07:36 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I'd be shocked if a manager has any idea what jacks or slides are or why you want a generator when you have a camper. He doesn't know nor care about those things- regardless of what some here would have you believe.

The disappearing Walmart permissions typically have nothing to do with these specific things. Don't let some over zealous "rule"-makers here scare you. Leave damage or a mess or look like a full-on campsite and that's one thing. Slides for a night, give me a break.

Absolutely dead on. We stay at Walmart often when traveling and always take time to go in and find the manager on duty preferably with groceries in a cart to shake his hand and tell them how much we appreciate the hospitality. They live it and it makes their day. The Walmart's that suspended overnight stays are ones that have had city ordinances force them or places like ND that has had gross misconduct on the property.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 08:33 PM   #36
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
There is a Walmart 2 km from my home. Many camp there in fact I stopped one night and said Hello to Caravaner from Europe, they were on a Cross Canada tour for a year. Right hand drive to boot! Many trailers stop for the night, with slides out!
How did he get to Canada? By boat? That is CRAZY! and cool!

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 08-26-2015, 08:35 PM   #37
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
Absolutely dead on. We stay at Walmart often when traveling and always take time to go in and find the manager on duty preferably with groceries in a cart to shake his hand and tell them how much we appreciate the hospitality. They live it and it makes their day. The Walmart's that suspended overnight stays are ones that have had city ordinances force them or places like ND that has had gross misconduct on the property.
You need to remember how much the tax payers drive law. You see these ordinances in place in the "tourist areas" because the hotels / campgrounds complain of the competition. Most places Walmart is a dirty word to the local business economy so they will stick it to them when they can.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 08-26-2015, 08:40 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
How did he get to Canada? By boat? That is CRAZY! and cool!
Here is option for water transport

Terra Wind Amphibious Motorcoach

2015 Coachmen Prism 24J MBS
USN-R '01-present
MarsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 08:41 PM   #39
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarsMan View Post
Here is option for water transport

Terra Wind Amphibious Motorcoach

I've seen them before on one of those RV shoes.. So COOL! LOL

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 08-27-2015, 08:39 PM   #40
Another adventure awaits!

Stayed at many walmarts

When travelling have stayed at several Walmart during our travels ... Never an issue with putting down jacks or bedroom slide ... Have used our generator but Walmart staff have asked that they be shutdown between 2300 and 0700 hrs (11 pm and 7 am) ... Consideration of others ... Chained generator to 5th wheel bumper ...
Have bought a portable battery operated fan for those muggy nights ... DH needs the fan and moving air ...
HESN22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator