Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2017, 08:43 AM   #1

Watching movies

Originally I was going to wire my rv for satellite but after several extended trips realized that I only need the occasional movie fix as there are lots of other things to do to occupy my time. So now, before I leave on a trip I download iTunes content to my computer and have 30 days to watch it. If I'm gone for more than 30 days there is a good chance that I'll be somewhere that has decent wifi to download more content to reload my library with new content. The computer is hooked to my tv so movies are full size so I get decent experience.

My question is this. How do you get your video?
KevK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 12:24 PM   #2
Always Learning

Seagate wireless hard drive and ripped my movie collection to it. Roku at each TV to play from it.

Ripping DVDs to make them portable | Learn To RV

More than that, though- we have unlimited data plans and just stream our content (using the Rokus at the TVs) from Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime.
Old 07-15-2017, 06:28 PM   #3

Two ways for me. The old school way is I bring DVD's. I installed a TV with built in DVD player so there isn't any extra device taking up room, more power, or wiring.
Some recent dvd's include a code to get a digital download. For those I download to computer and sync to iPod, then have a AV cord to plug the iPod into TV and watch.
Golfnbike13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 05:05 PM   #4

I have an android box with downloaded movies on it, which I plug into my TV. I was also able to get a couple of network channels where I was located.
LilHorse&buggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 05:17 PM   #5

We use a Roku player when we have wifi. It's linked to our DirecTV account, so we can catch the Nascar race or football game on Sundays.

I burn a lot of DVDs off the interwebs for the kids. I download the files from fmovies.se (Swedish server), then I convert them to MP4 and burn them to a DVDR.. There's free software for converting/burning..
Household6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 05:17 PM   #6

https://www.playon.tv/
It records Netflix, YouTube .... to the computer.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 08:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypressloser View Post
I use this. If you have a roku or a network connected TV, you can cast from the computer to the TV.

The thing I like most about it is it can download Amazon prime videos for playing later. My Roku can too, but sometimes I have my laptop but no tv.

2017 Heritage Glen 368RLHBK Limited
2017 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew, 6.7 Cummins
m35a2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 09:11 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypressloser View Post
Looks like you need Windows for that. Anything else you have to use their cloud version (extra $) but can then download the video to any device as an .mp4 file. Worth checking out. Thanks.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:13 AM   #9
King of the Road

I have a dvd player, but rarely use it as I have 2 Samsung smart TV's. They both have usb ports and can read/play mp3 and mp4 format. So I ripped my dvd's to mp4 and music to mp3 and copied them to 32GB usb thumb drives. Plug them in and select them as source then browse through the movies to pick one, or play the music. These tv's can play random shuffle or go through the music item by item. They also display photos from my trip that are copied to the usb drive.

Terrific, and I don't need external device (other than the thumb drive). Will also work with my 500 MB backup hard drive. they also have wifi, and with netflix and hulu apps built in (among others) I can stream directly when on a network connection.

2016 days camped = 91, 2017 days camped = 109
Dano1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 11:11 AM   #10

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030464-resized.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	146850
I record/RIP several movies to my laptop that I bring along.

Name:	P1030502-resized.JPG
Views:	183
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	146851
I removed the outdated telephone jack and replaced it with a USB/HDMI jack that goes directly into my monitor.

Name:	P1030508-resized.JPG
Views:	208
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	146852
That allows me to place my laptop beneath the monitor and connect it via the HDMI connection. I connected my monitor coax out to my Genesis 3.0 coax in so the sound is piped through my surround sound.

That's it.
Old 08-05-2017, 12:43 AM   #11

We have a 2014 Rockwood. There is a Genesis stereo and a panel with component video hookups. I cannot access the back of the TV and there is no HDMI hookup on the panel. I have a Roku box with component video. I plugged it in, but I can't find an option to choose to make it come on either on the TV or the stereo. Any suggestions?
keahgirl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 12:52 AM   #12

I have a RaspberryPi 3 in my trailer that I installed Kodi on. Kodi will play pretty much any video file. I have a 1 terabyte portable harddrive that I use, and just load it up with moveis and TV shows before a long trip.

Last camping trip, after we came inside from hanging out around the fire we'd cool down and watch a couple episodes of Penn and Teller'd Fool Us.
lugoismad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 10:36 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by keahgirl8 View Post
We have a 2014 Rockwood. There is a Genesis stereo and a panel with component video hookups. I cannot access the back of the TV and there is no HDMI hookup on the panel. I have a Roku box with component video. I plugged it in, but I can't find an option to choose to make it come on either on the TV or the stereo. Any suggestions?
If it's a Genesis 3 then it has an HDMI out on the back. (Does it look like the Genesis in my first pic a few messages ago?)

Why can't you access the back of your television? What if it has to be serviced or replaced?

The panel with component goes to the Genesis and should be accessed via one of the three AUX inputs. You have to leave it on each AUX for a time so it can detect a signal as it does not switch over immediately. You could also have a slide switch on your component panel that switches between the two inputs on that panel.
Old 08-05-2017, 03:06 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dea49 View Post
If it's a Genesis 3 then it has an HDMI out on the back. (Does it look like the Genesis in my first pic a few messages ago?)

Why can't you access the back of your television? What if it has to be serviced or replaced?

The panel with component goes to the Genesis and should be accessed via one of the three AUX inputs. You have to leave it on each AUX for a time so it can detect a signal as it does not switch over immediately. You could also have a slide switch on your component panel that switches between the two inputs on that panel.
It does look similar to yours from what I can see on my phone. I don't see an HDMI output though. The TV is mounted on the wall. If I took it down, I would be able to get to the back, but I don't see how otherwise. The switch on the panel says "Game" "Cable" and "MP3" and the options on the Genesis are "Av1, 2, and 3." Maybe I'm not waiting long enough for it. I thought I was! I appreciate your help. I'm good with hooking stuff up at home, but I always seem to have trouble in this trailer.
Old 08-05-2017, 03:24 PM   #15

The HDMI out is on the back and is actually recessed I believe on the lower right hand side while viewing from the back.

As far as input I ran directly from my HDMI source (laptop) to the back of the Tv through a separate wall plate (pic 2 of previous post). There is a coax in for sound on the back of the Genesis. Which is basically a shielded RCA cable. I ran the coax from the coax out on the Tv to the coax in on the Genesis. I then play directly to the Tv from my HDMI source (laptop) and set my Genesis on AUX 3 for the sound.

More than likely you should take the Tv down to hook up correctly.

Let me know if I can further clarify.
Old 08-05-2017, 03:25 PM   #16

We bring DVD's, use Redbox or watch them on our Amazon Prime Alexa dohiggie that plugs into the tv. Use our cell phones as a hot spot.
Sierra360PDEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 03:25 PM   #17

Pardon my ignorance on this subject, but it's mounted on the wall as well. I can't see where I can access the back of the Genesis either.
Old 10-06-2017, 01:37 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by keahgirl8 View Post
Pardon my ignorance on this subject, but it's mounted on the wall as well. I can't see where I can access the back of the Genesis either.
If it's really important to you, you may be able to find a shop or technician that is a mobile audio/video geek that can help for a price.
Best scenario would be them coming to your location for a quote and to do the job.
Old 10-06-2017, 01:56 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugoismad View Post
I have a RaspberryPi 3 in my trailer that I installed Kodi on. Kodi will play pretty much any video file. I have a 1 terabyte portable harddrive that I use, and just load it up with moveis and TV shows before a long trip.
I was going to just have the movies on my macbook and play them to the TV from it but I like this idea WAY better. Going to look into this.

What do you think of this tutorial?
https://mediaexperience.com/raspberr...pbmc/#chapter1
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 11:55 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
I was going to just have the movies on my macbook and play them to the TV from it but I like this idea WAY better. Going to look into this.

What do you think of this tutorial?
https://mediaexperience.com/raspberr...pbmc/#chapter1
That seems like a lot of work when you already have a simple options - either watch on your MacBook or setup your tv as the MacBook monitor. I like to tinker but I also like to keep things simple and reliable.

I have also have a cabin where I can get reasonably priced yet fast internet service while I'm there. I figured out that I can get most network TV a day late on my iPad which is enough for me. In addition, I can also watch the movies I have stored on my WD network drive that I have at home which means I can watch my classic movies like "Long, Long Trailer"!