Old 02-28-2016, 01:23 PM   #1

Water Conservation Tips

Use disposable plates and cups to minimize washing dishes.

When washing dishes capture dish water with a large bowl in bottom of sink. Use that captured water to wash subsequent items. Any remaining water is used to fill the toilet bowl.

Showerhead with on-off switch is a must. Make sure to purchase one that is intuitive and can be used easily with your eyes shut closed.

Most showers are quite a distance from the hot water heater and it takes a bit of time and water to get warm water to the shower head. We have a small bucket with a washcloth in it to capture the less than ideal temperature water. The bucket water is used to lather up with soap and clean ourselves with the wash cloth. Afterwards, a quick rinse with water running 60 seconds or less is all that is needed. I can shower with about 2.5 gallons or water and feel pretty clean. Any remaining water captured in the bucket is used to fill the toilet bowl.

We have 5 gallon Home-Depot buckets that we fill with grey water and use that grey water to wash our ATVs off after a ride. This practice is controversial since grey water isn't supposed to be directly or indirectly dumped on the ground. However, how is this different from a few folks with 110 gallon fresh water tanks who use an electric pressure washer with soap to wash off their UTVs after a dusty day's ride?

Water pump is always off when not in use. Had a water fitting get loose several years ago which flooded our interior, caused floor damage, and wasted a lot of water on that camping trip.

RV Show vendor in Denver this weekend was selling a $285 12V DC water pump to pump water from 7.5 gallon blue water jugs into your fresh water holding tank. A nice but unnecessary expense. Remove the white water spigot that comes with the jug. We install metal hose quick release garden hose fittings in place of the threaded spigot. The male quick release fitting is heated enough so it can be threaded into the jug's female threaded fitting which has a different thread pitch. The heat allows a new thread to be cut and also melts the plastic enough so it is sealed. You can cross thread the quick release valve if you wish and then use some epoxy to seal the fitting instead. An inline on-off water valve attached to the quick release gives you a bit more control and ability to stop water flow on demand. We then connect a water hose long enough so that it can reach the fill tank when the jug is placed on a countertop or surface higher than the level of the fill tank and allows gravity to do the work to fill the water tank. Couple of folks we camp with that had electric pumps now use this method because it is easier and quicker to use.

We try to camp by streams or lakes so dogs can drink that water instead and we can rinse the mud off of them without using our camper water. Our dogs get additional vaccinations (not sure which ones) which Vet says help prevent issues with allowing the dogs to drink untreated water. Never had a problem yet.

We drink lots of beer to save on potable water.

Old 03-02-2016, 08:53 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
We drink lots of beer to save on potable water.
Well, I'm down with at least ONE of your suggestions. Thanks!

Old 03-17-2016, 08:44 PM   #3

Good suggestions, thanks.
Old 03-18-2016, 09:56 AM   #4

For replenishing the on-board tank, I switch the two-way winterizing valve so that the pump draws from the antifreeze inlet and just connect a hose to the inlet and stick the other end in a portable container. I then open a valve that I installed that sends water from the pressurized side of the system back down the suction hose from the tank Another way I use this valve is when I fill the tank I can hook up to the city water inlet and just open the valve. That way I don't have to stand there and hold the hose in the gravity water fill opening (I do take the cap off for better venting while filling tank).

I am considering getting one of those water bladders (has anyone used one?) and just run the hose from the antifreeze inlet to the back of the vehicle where the bladder is at. Then I wouldn't have to ever lift a water container in or out of a vehicle and there would be no big jugs to store somewhere.

I am thinking about adding a valve under the bathroom sink that would do the same thing (move water from pressure side back to tank), but draw from the hot water line. That way you can get hot water all the way to the bathroom sink, dumping the cold that was filling the pipe back into the tank The upshot is that if you are cold weather camping and worried that nighttime temps could get a bit low you would put a bunch of hot water in the storage tank to give it a bit of thermal flywheel for the night.

I have also thought about adding a sprayer for the toilet, fed by a pump that pulls water from the gray tank. This would use gray water to flush/clean the bowel. The gray tank fills WAY faster than the black anyway so you get two birds with one stone.

I try to do my part by hydrating from alternative sources, but DW and DDs/DS can't help much with that
Old 03-18-2016, 10:33 AM   #5

I am considering getting one of those water bladders (has anyone used one?) and just run the hose from the antifreeze inlet to the back of the vehicle where the bladder is at. Then I wouldn't have to ever lift a water container in or out of a vehicle and there would be no big jugs to store somewhere.

Do it! The setup works like a dream. You may want to add a tbsp bleach to keep the water fresh.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 11:08 AM   #6

Thanks Cypressloser!!

I also thought that maybe you could pump gray water into a second one, used ONLY for gray water of course, for hauling away. Gravity would easily empty it from the back of the vehicle at a dump station/pit toilet
Old 03-18-2016, 11:22 AM   #7
Pickin' & Campin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon-roo View Post
I have also thought about adding a sprayer for the toilet, fed by a pump that pulls water from the gray tank. This would use gray water to flush/clean the bowel. The gray tank fills WAY faster than the black anyway so you get two birds with one stone.
I have thought about something like this for many years!
You'd save a tremendous amount of perfectly good potable water by not having to flush it down the toilet.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.
Days Camped: '15=22 '16=46 '17=30
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 08:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon-roo View Post
Thanks Cypressloser!!

I also thought that maybe you could pump gray water into a second one, used ONLY for gray water of course, for hauling away. Gravity would easily empty it from the back of the vehicle at a dump station/pit toilet
If you would invest in a portable 12V macerator pump (Amazon) you could make the water flow uphill and also empty your black tank into the inflatable.
Old 06-07-2016, 11:05 PM   #9

Adjusting the shower temperature was our biggest waste of water- and just a major pain to get it right.

I installed at digital temperature display for our hot water tank. Now we heat the water just before we take a shower but we turn it off when it gets to 98 degrees. (Or less if it is a hot day and a cooler shower feels great.) Then we don't mix in any cold water - we just use all hot water. No wasted water, the temperature is always correct, and it doesn't change. It must be what heaven is like!

Tags
water